Project S907_express

I thought you sold most of those guitars?Or do you get them back for shows?My favorites are that V and the Destroyer behind the thinner girl.The V is just killer

Not the V or the Destroyer...

Shows involve my personal guitars (mostly prototypes) and local customers instruments. This year we brought my guitars and a few new... I have been sitting on a a few and it is my fault they are not gone. . For the shows I bring a lot of my personal guitars because I can't let strangers play someones custom guitar... that is bad mojo. My local customers let me borrow their guitars for the shows (my owners are really cool)

The S9s go like wild fire... the Vs and Destroyers are hard to sell. ("Kids" ask Gibson how many Vs and Explorers they sell compared to LPs) There are not enough guys like you and me who need new guitars. I love my V and Destroyer but the rest of the world loves super strats

So we just finished up the guitar show here in Raleigh. Guess what got played the most. The S9 Express and the S9 7 string Headless. Next up would be different S9s and the Bc Rich Bich replika (mostly older guys). I had to beg people to play the Horseman (headless steinberg copy) and the V.

I had some people ask to play the Hand of Doom but they didn't pass the Sabbath test. The Hand of Doom only plays "Sabbath" covers and if you don't know any you can't play it.

Finally we did ok this weekend. Best in Show 2012.

IMG_20120923_164304_zps6996855c.jpg

• Like 1

One last point I brought 2 Destroyers and a V to the show and NO ONE asked to play them, NO ONE. I burnt through 400 business cards, 100 custom picks and NO ONE asked to play a V or Destroyer.

I had 4 guys (my age) ask to play the BC Rich Bich replica. Everyone else only touched the S9.

Beautiful booth Brett, very professional looking. The hang tags were a nice touch. Mucho kudos on best in show.

Anyone pick up the ebony beast? Does that say Sentinal?

SR

My friend that has been helping me with CAD and sanding/finishing did the Tags. It was a real nice touch. He wanted to redo my banner as well but I didn't let him. Next year...

The ebony beast is named Sentinel. And no it was too expensive for anyone to buy... it makes me sad I have to keep it ;) HA HA HA HA! Just kidding it is not really for sale unless someone is willing to really pay for it. You guys understand how rare it is to have a 4/4 7" wide pice of ebony to make a solid guitar top from. I have enough ebony left to build 2 more...

Did your guitars change anybody's preconceptions? ie. thin bodies or whatever? People are bought with their eyes and preconceptions but put proof in their hands....

Yes and no.

A few of the older guys really dug what I am trying to do with ergonomics. And yeah they had their preconceived notions on the tones my guitars would produce smashed. The Horseman headless sounds like a full blown LP. The S907 Icarus Headless 7 string is a world beater all around guitar. The others have such a big range I think some where surprised at the tones and response... I love the "Guitars need to be thick to sustain" myth. I grin when I kill it dead with an S9.

Most guys really understood and listened when I talked about pickups and how the lower ohm pickup is capable of a much fuller range of tones... but they believed when they played them.

Some of the kids thought my headless 7 looked like a *Strandberg and the rest of my guitars were like Black Machines. Neither of which are true. The funny part was when I asked them if they had ever played a *Strandberg or a Black Machine the answer was always the same "No".

Tone is up to the player...

I had a singer song writer sit down with an 6 string Express and play fingerstyle for 30 minutes... single humbucker on a mesa boogie .50 cal with my new Dirt pickup and I thought I was listening to a 3 single coil Suhr on a vintage Black Face. When people walked up and saw the metal guitar and metal amp making those sounds they were surprised.

I had a young guy sit down with Icarus (headless 7) and play line after line of jazz.... I was amazed at the tones it produced.