Neck-Thru Bass: First Project

• 2 weeks later...

Have been slacking on updates. Finally finished the buffing. NOT impressed with the product used. As I was finishing it up I ran across a post where Wes was talking about what I think was the very same product and was having the very same issues I have run into. Curing times per the manufacturer are not accurate, if you spray lightly it doesn't cover right, if you spray too heavily it gets gummy and doesn't cure at all. If I had not applied 18 coats I think I would have removed all the finish before I got any results. There are still some issues with it but I will let you all look and see if you can find them. <_<

Face buffed out:

DSC00986.jpg

Fretboard final sanded and oiled:

DSC00994.jpg

Buffing completed and ready for hardware:

DSC00997.jpg

Hardware installation started:

DSC00998.jpg

Assembly is on hold while I wait for a couple parts. I should have this project wrapped up within the week.

• Like 1

Pickups installed.

DSC00999.jpg

Pots, jack, preamp, and 18v battery box wired up.

DSC01007.jpg

All assembled minus the switch I am waiting on.

DSC01008.jpg

Nut blank in place. Strings are being shipped so waiting for them to arrive before I can file and shape. I do not have any flatwounds lying around and roundwounds will never touch this fretboard.

DSC01009.jpg

Very clean flowing lines.....this is a great looking bass......that line is worth repeating. Looking forward to seeing it strung up.

SR

Thanks Scott. That really means a lot. I too am really looking forward to getting it strung up. My switch was put on backorder so it looks like it will be a few weeks before I can call it complete however, I should get the strings soon and be able to start setup at the very least.

Started filing my first nut ever. Using a tusq blank. It took a little longer to get into shape than I had expected.

DSC01012.jpg

Checking string height. I don't always trust my measurements.

DSC01013.jpg

More filing. Getting closer. . .

DSC01015.jpg

Final fit. Took a few tries to get the width dialed in.

DSC01017.jpg

Strung up and tuned. Still have to set the saddle heights. Not too shabby though, the strings sit less than 1/8th from the fretboard. I double checked the neck at this point and only had to tweak the truss rod about a 1/4 turn to bring it true. I was a little worried about this part since I neglected to put in a neck angle and ended up recessing the bridge.

DSC01020.jpg

I bypassed the 3 way switch since it is back ordered (you might notice the missing control on the face) and tested out the wiring. All sounds good so far. Looking forward to wrapping this one up and not only being able to use it for any practice/gigging but also to move on to the next build. :rock

DSC01021.jpg

I am seeing maybe one or two more posts on this project. As soon as I can install the switch and once the intonation has been completed. I will try and get some decent pics for that post. My camera kinda blows . . .

Thanks for any and all feedback that has been given on this. Not only has it has been greatly appreciated but has helped me make the decisions needed to complete this project.

• 3 weeks later...

So my 3 way on/on/on switch finally came in and I have it installed to select either bridge, neck, or both. I have run into a problem however and could use some assistance. I am using the EMG active PJ pickups with a buss. The switch is working as it should however the volume is about 10 times less than it was when I just had a jumper in bypassing the switch positions. Any advice would be welcomed at this point.

So I have narrowed the problem down to the screw down connections on the buss. A good friend of mine with marital issues stopped by tonight so I am not sober enough to fix the problem at this point. I will address it tomorrow and hopefully will be able to call this project complete.

Thank you all for the kind words. Just used it for the first time today in practice with a whole group and I have to say it really kicked a$$. Impressed all of the guys there. Now to move on to the next one and do an even better job. The bug has bitten.

• Like 1