The Anchor

Here is one more I'm working on at the moment. It's a LP based design that I am building for a friend of mine. It has an ash body and will be inlaid with bloodwood, walnut, curly maple and ebony. He requested the I integrate an Anchor into the design so here what I've got so far:

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00293.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00299.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

The ebony will be used for a chain that wraps around the design. When its done the anchor should appear to be buried into the guitar. Really hope I can pull off the image in my head.

• Like 2

I am loving this already. I have thought of doing something similar with various woods on the top creating a picture or design.

Are you going to make the whole design and then glue, or glue a piece and then get the adjacent pieces to fit before the next piece is glued?

just a thought, if you make the crosspiece on the top straight across, it may not fit the idea that this thing is an anchor. you might want to put some foreshortening or perspective on it. also, you could put some detail around the ends (maybe like the ball ends on this guy: http://www.beaverlakeboaters.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/anchor.jpg), or any of those three. it looks a little bulky compared to the rest of the anchor now as you have it planned.

I see what your saying Charlie, its hard do to space limitations because the humbucker goes right in that area also. I think I am going to make the cross bars slightly thinner and taper them to the ends but i wont have room for the ball ends. Those sides will also have a bevel which you can kinda see in the first pic. That is why the cross bar is thicker, so i dont carve through it. Thanks for the thoughts!

I routed out the cavities for the anchor pieces today and I'm pretty happy with how they fit.

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00323.jpg

I also managed to get the neck cut and glued up

DSC00325.jpg

As well as the fret board

DSC00329.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

My next step is to mix the three different colors of epoxy I'll need and glue the pieces in, then it will be time to tackle the chain

• 3 weeks later...

Cleaned up the body and got the rear carve done today

marked out

DSC00367.jpg

and cut

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00371.jpg

I'm not happy with the fret board. Using the 8in stewmac radiusing sanding blocks has left me with a board whose thickness varies from one end to the other. Rather then fighting to get it back to where I need it I'm going to take a day to make a router jig and save me a lot of time and frustration in the future.

I think I'm going to do a version of this:

The thickness differs at the four corners. Like the end closer to me will end up thinner then the end farther away and the two corners of each end will vary. Its due to my in ability to put even pressure down the length of the board. I always push to hard toward one side or one end with out realizing it. I figure this jig will make my life a lot easier so I think I will try and tackle it tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys sorry about the hold up, been workin on some other stuff recently. I'm not satisfied with the neck and fretboard so I decided to redo both of them to hopefully get better results.

Heres the new fret board I made using the fretboard radiusing jig I found on youtube.

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

Once off the jig you still need to clean up the surface with the radiused hand block but it takes less then 5 minutes, compared to the hour it took to shape everything by hand.

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

• Like 1