The Anchor

Levi- I can never do anything right the first time so I actually built it twice. The first time the plywood ended up being warped and seriously affected the jigs ability to cut straight so i re-did it in a composit material that I was sure was dead straight. The first time took me about 3 and a half hours and the second time took a little over and hour because I aready had all the measurements down. Its not hard to build at all, just be sure to take your time when measuring everything and youll save your self alot of hand work down the road.

Hey guys sorry I keep getting distracted. This past week I decided to build a wood bending iron so I could start practicing for my acoustic builds. Its a real simple design that uses an charcoal igniter to heat a 12" long piece of 2" steel pipe. I put a dimmer switch through the power chord which acts as a temperature control. I bent one side and got some scorching but with a few more tries I'll get everything dialed in and will be able start using nicer woods. I also think I will be adding a piece of 1" pipe to make tighter bends since I plan on doing a custom shape uke before I tackle bigger instruments.

DSC00415.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

Now back to the anchor build. Like I said I'm redoing the neck, which is coming out much nicer, so some of these pics might feel familiar. As soon as I'm done typing this I'm heading over to the shop to work more so I'll have some more progress around 4pm today.

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

Thanks for all the comments every one, I'm glad you are diggin it so far! Here is todays progress:

DSC00472.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

In hind site I should have done both inlays at once but I jumped the gun cause I was excited about the rose

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00490.jpg

DSC00494.jpg

DSC00493.jpg

Opened up the top of the truss cavity

DSC00492.jpg

I'm going to make the truss cover out of walnut and inlay my raven into it. Still havnt decided on a shape though.

DSC00496.jpg

• Like 1

DSC00490.jpg

Looks like you've been performing surgery with that knife!!!! lol

Fantastic work!

I didnt know that got into one of the pics haha. Yeah I forgot the knife was on the table next to me and when I turned to grab something I got stuck right in the forearm!

Untitled-1.png

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

Drilled holes for the magnets that will keep the cover in place

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

Man,you really have an eye for inlay.I am envious.Do you think you could take a pic of the tools you use to get your inlay routs?

DSC00526.jpg

I just use a really sharp pencil to trace the inlay then cut up to the inner edge of the line and the piece usually fits snug the first try. I never had luck using a scribe, the peice would move or Id get lines where I didnt want them, pencils much easier and less stressful to me. The bits are 1/16th and 3/32nd from stewmac along with the dremel base. The exacto knife is just for cleaning up the slots after the rout if necessary.

Neck carving day! It's still a little rough but I'll clean it up later.

DSC00518.jpg

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

DSC00521.jpg

Got rid of the sharp edges

DSC00524.jpg

• Like 1

this build is just TOO good. You have taken the inlay as far as it can get while still looking clean and avoiding gaudiness, good job on that. cant wait to see the final product. if i had to say one thing, all of your woods go together really well except the neck wood. maybe that will change once you get a finish on it?

Edited by Charlie H 72