Spalted Multiscale

All the multiscale threads has really made me interested in making one. I made a cad drawing of a 24,5 and 25,5" neck. But I just don't like the look of the tilted pups...

Any inputs on keeping them the "normal" way?

I definitely will be following this thread. Looking nice so far :-)

/Kenneth

Wow Wez. That blue one is absolutely beautiful :-)

I'll give it a go :-) I found some oak to make a chambered body with a maple cap and a mahogany neck with på ferro fretboard. Using up the scrapbook on this one ;-)

Will the nonslanted pickups just cause a bit thinner bass sound?

Never tried slanted on a normal guitar, except a SC on a tele of course ;-)

anything you lose is more than gained back with the increased response you get from having fanned frets. you can hear the single pickup one here - certainly not thin in the bass

ooh, i have some of the blue guitar too - forgot about those

Wow Wez. That blue one is absolutely beautiful :-)

I'll give it a go :-) I found some oak to make a chambered body with a maple cap and a mahogany neck with på ferro fretboard. Using up the scrapbook on this one ;-)

Never tried slanted on a normal guitar, except a SC on a tele of course ;-)

No.

I am going to generalize this so flame away if you feel different but I am trying to make this simple to explain.

As you move a pickup towards the 12th fret it picks up more bass and midrange because it picks up more string deviation as it vibrates.

So theoretically speaking the bridge will have more midrange on the lower strings while the high E should sound exactly the same.

There is a point where a humbucker stops noticeably changing tone on the lower strings... usually about 40 mm from the last fret. But this is arguable as some say (even me) that they can tell.

To add to that statement "thin" is a bad term. Because if a humbucker sounds thin something is probably wrong. But they emphasise the high end of the spectrum as the pole pieces move towards the bridge.

I like to think of the positioning as EQ... Bridge is treble with the eq in a V, Middle is midrange with the eq in a ----, Neck is Bass with the eq in a --_. Simple but it works...

This is why I have an exact measurements I use for pickup placement.

Edited by RestorationAD

Since it's too wet to rout anything right now,I am gluing the other fretboard onto the other neck from Doug and I figured I would take a pic of the truss rod.I wrap them in cling wrap and use the stove burner(not touching,just hovering) to shrink it around the truss rod.That way there is no glue around the truss rod to foul it up.I have done about a dozen this way and no problems yet

559287_436716219702371_131648410_n.jpg

I know how annoying it is to update a thread without pics,so I apologize,but in case anyone is interested this build is on hold just for a bit waiting for parts..

Brian has shipped my bridge pieces,so they are on the way,and RAD is right in the middle of making me some kick ass angled pups with blades instead of pole pieces...gonna be epic!

Those are looking might cool.Never let it be said RAD is afraid to try new things...some people might have just said "I don't do that" when I asked about blades...RAD just went to work on figuring it out.

I don't know if it's all in my head,but I really think blades sound more balanced than pole pieces...and you can't deny they just look cool and scream "Metal!!!" :rock

• 1 month later...

Back on this one.

Control cavity routed

281864_455035874537072_1646463543_n.jpg

Pickup cavities routed.I left the ears intact to direct mount the pickups.The magnets sit below the ears so I routed 1/4" deeper in the middle for good clearance.

526115_455036221203704_1777963322_n.jpg

My next step is to sand everything down and start flooding the body with thin CA.It has some medium CA on right now but that was just to seal it while it sat in wait for hardware/electronics.All of the medium CA will sand off when leveling I am sure