• 1 month later...

No there has not been much progress on these. Just a little sanding & binding. Not realy worth posting piks of just yet.

This forum is not realy for doing business, If you PM me I can send you details of the store they are going to. Or use the contact page on my Website.

These are all earmarked for a local dealer, but Im sure he will sort you out if you want the ash omega.

OK. A little more on one of these. I have not had much time to play around with personal projects like this latley so they are taking longer than hoped. But hey, wotcha gona do.

Anyway, this one is now black-ish.P1050396.jpg

P1050394.jpg

P1050392.jpg

& one hanging just outside the finish room. I have a light coat of clear on here to seal the black.

P1050398.jpg

The bindings will get cleaned up & the control cavity finished over the next few days.

• Like 1

The ash neck looks amazing.

I wouldn't have though ash would be stable enough for a neck but learn something new everyday!

Great work!

I find it works well for a neck. Although you do have to be sure its well dried out, So it sits for over a year here before it gets sliced up for necks. it gets a nice texture on it after its cleared, if you dont bother to try pore fill it.

Fender used it on a few gitirs But I cant remember the models. Im sure Wezv would know, Or some other wealth of production model knowledge.

We use ash over here in Ireland for all sorts as it grows like grass, all over the place. Particularly good example would be hurleys. Iv seen those last for years on end with little or no finish on them, in sun & rain. Those things get some unreal punishment & stay nice n strait. I still have my little sisters at home, it must be 20 years old now. with no finish on it, stored in an outside shed with no real protection from the elements - pin straight - strong as an ox.

For those that dont know, hurley's are used in a game called hurling,

hurling is basicly rugby, except that its much faster paced, cross bread with murder & played by the kinds of lunatics that a rancor would run a mile from.

then for good measure, the ball is much smaller & hard as a stone,

The players are all armed with hurley's (basicly a big stylised simitar sword carved from ash)

& from the spectators point of view, there dont seem to be any rules against trying to kill the oposing players.

Great stuff :D

• Like 1

That single cut looks sweet Paulie! The carve on the top was messing with me a bit, it makes the stringer look like it is not quite straight..... :blink: Straight as a string from the back though.

SR

Glad you like it man. Ash does some freaky things when you carve it. One of my fave timbers, even bog standard stuff has more funky grain than some figured exoctic woods. & if you half ass the finish in strategic places it ages realy nice with a little encouragment. great for relic strats & teles & the like.

Hard as fook though, kills yer tools after a while <_<

• 5 months later...

hi paulie, i saw a a lot of acoustic guitars in the workshop. but no thread ? surly with that many guitars there should be a thread :huh:

Hey red. Nope , no thread. those acoustics are for one customer, & some of their customers like to think that they all came from the bla bla custom shop. they are not AEolian builds so no threads with any piks or I would loose the contract. hence no uploads of anything for the past while.

I've used ahs for necks. It's fine.

There are a LOT of woods that are traditionally not used for necks, but there are no reasons I can legitimize for it. Ash is one of those, especially the hard Northern ash.

yea. northern hard ash is great for necks. I use it a lot in laminations, but maby only 5-6 one piece necks a year. but maple being so widly accepted & relativly inexpensive, it tends to be used more than any other timber by the big boys.

you should try a wenge neck. if you can get over the fear of javalin sized splinters. great material for shredder necks as you can get it to work at stupid thicknesses.

I've used ahs for necks. It's fine.

There are a LOT of woods that are traditionally not used for necks, but there are no reasons I can legitimize for it. Ash is one of those, especially the hard Northern ash.

yea. northern hard ash is great for necks. I use it a lot in laminations, but maby only 5-6 one piece necks a year. but maple being so widly accepted & relativly inexpensive, it tends to be used more than any other timber by the big boys.

you should try a wenge neck. if you can get over the fear of javalin sized splinters. great material for shredder necks as you can get it to work at stupid thicknesses.

The '58 Twins both have wenge necks. Yes, it's great stuff. B-)