Butterflies

Beautiful work. I'm admiring the sharp edge of the faux binding. Could you explain how you got it so sharp? Is it because the sanding sealer stops the dye getting to the timber (so the trick is in how well you put the sanding sealer on)? Or from accurate masking when you placed the dye? Scraping back any dye leakage? Combination? Or maybe trade secret?

Thanks in advance.

and a nice clean edge.

DSC00725.jpg

Hey Brian, I used 2 or three quick shots of sanding sealler on the faux binding, Then taped it off once it was dry. I found that the stain caused the tape to release in a few spots resulting in some color geting on the binding. Luckly the sealler worked perfectly and the color was simply sitting on top of it, it could actually just be wiped of while it was wet. Once eveything dried, a quick pass with 150grit on a small sanding block cleaned it all up really nicely. I would say tape off the binding to minimize clean up but for the most part the sealer is responsible for the clean edge.

Another way to do this would be to dye then come in with the router afterward and cut the bevel. That is what I did with the headstock.

As for the logo, I think I going to test out this inlace stuff ScottR had recomended to me for another build. Ill try it on a test piece first and hopefully I can just carve out the logo and fill it with this stuff.

http://www.inlaceonline.com/text/products/kits.html

Neck glued in

DSC00763.jpg

Adding some sealer

DSC00765.jpg

Number 2

DSC00764.jpg

I emailed a place about white decals and they took to long to respond so I just painted it and I'm really happy with the white!

DSC00769.jpg

The maple butterflies got some blue dust on them from sanding and I just couldn't get them as clean as when they were first filed so I decided to really make'em pop with white

DSC00771.jpg

So close!

%7Boption%7Dhttp://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u286/razor279/DSC00770.jpg[/img

• Like 2

if you do vinyl decals, request a sample of the Oracal vinyl. I worked in a sign shop once, working with lots of different vinyls, and it was by far the nicest. Rather thin, flexible, doesn't tear easily, easy to manipulate.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to leave you guys hanging so long but shes finally done! I love the tones can I pull out of this thing even from a cheap Crate amp. It is light weight, comfortable to play, and the actions nice and low. Over all I'm very happy with the final product! I'll put up a demo video if I can get one in the future.

DSC00876_zps9adff6b9.jpg

DSC00878_zps1cad3b3b.jpg

DSC00879_zpsd82d7a6d.jpg

DSC00880_zpsc3bd82ab.jpg

DSC00882_zpse06c4123.jpg

DSC00883_zpsa5f885a7.jpg

DSC00884_zps07e44cd5.jpg

DSC00885_zps23b5aae5.jpg

DSC00886_zps6ad2fb1e.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...