Tweaked Explorer Build

Huh. I didn't even analyze why it worked, I just looked at it and thought yep, that works. It actually repeats two angles, one in the treble horn and one in the bass side waist. Excellent design choice. I am normally not a huge fan of that HS, but I can't imagine a better choice for this.

SR

Good call on the Hipshots, plus I agree 100% about the headstock tieing in with the body. The only thing I think that doesn't is that the body is softer on the edges because of the roundover, whereas the headstock is tight and sharp. I doubt that a roundover on the edge parallel to the tuners would work though.

Gah. You're making me want to build an Explorer or a V now. Oh daaaym you....!!! Goddamn you all to hell!!!

I see your immaculate lawn is making another appearance. It's become somewhat of a forum regular. :D

Thanks Pros!

I have never used hipshots before, so i am kind of excited to get them.

Regarding the roundover,

Since the day i made the original template i had planned on doing a sharp 45* bevel around the whole thing. I had it all planned in my head and everything.

Then i got ahead of myself and started the build before i bought the bit, and just decided to try it this way instead. Next time, bevel for sure.

DO IT! You NEED more explorers and Vs!

My lawn wont be green much longer. I give it another month before its brown!

Kill,

Just went through this builld thread and could not stop till the end.

That axe is lookin' so smokin' so far...

Really great!

Was looking at tuners last night (oddly enough) and it looks like you can get singles in left or right of the Gotoh 510 Contour Mini.

Just mentioning it for any one doing reverse headstock builds.

What are you putting in this baby for electronics?

John

Thanks everybody.

That has always been my favorite moment of building, when the first coat goes on!

John,

Thanks! I am really happy with the way it came out so far. I should be able to put it together tomorrow!

I'll look into those gotohs, thanks for the heads up!

For electronics, it will have EMG 81 and 60 buckers, and all black hardware, as usual ;)

Thanks!

Very nice.i think the rings look out of place but I know it's such a better sound for metal to not have them mounted direct.I try to get the best of both worlds by leaving off the rings and putting the spring under the pickup with foam under the middle of the pup to keep it flat.

Thanks Wes.

Thats actually 1 thing i have never tried, direct mounted pickups. I have a template that would work perfectly fot it.

I think i would only like the look of direct mounteds with all black pickups, like EMGs. It would look a little less cluttered and more clean.

I feel the same.That's why I keep buying the plain black covers from guitarpartsresource that just slip over the humbuckers...lets me use passives of my choice and keep the cool EMG style look...

Direct mounted is actually screwing them directly to the wood without springs,but that adds a woody "knock" sound that I don't like in metal..so I rout deeper and add springs underneath the ears on guitars that are meant for metal.I recently have been experimenting with phenolic shims and it helps somewhat,but I still prefer the sound of floating pickups on most guitars

That came out nice Kill!

Wes, you find the direct mount too woody for your tastes eh?

Even with some extra mid scoop and a bit of low cut on the amp?

I do like the way I can get endless harmonic feedback and at lower gain with the coupled pickups.

Been floating the bridge and coupling the neck with maple, ebony, jatoba etc. shims.

What kind of phenolics are you messing with if I might ask?

Thanks!

John

p.s. Kill, where are the sound clips :)

Wes, you find the direct mount too woody for your tastes eh?

Even with some extra mid scoop and a bit of low cut on the amp?

Yes,I do.I have a rackspace EQ that scoops out a ton of mids,but I don't want to dial in a flat muddy tone,which is what it would take to get rid of that knocking.They sound good for cleans and some bluesy stuff,just not metal for my tastes.I did one guitar a while back with the neck pup mounted direct and the bridge pup mounted under a ring.That was nice,but it looked strange to me.Really I think too much has been made of direct mounting...it's really only useful in some guitars for specific purposes IMO.

I use paper based black phenolic sheets for cavity covers,pickup shims,truss rod covers,locking nut shims,etc.It's pretty handy and comes in several thicknesses.