7 String F

My current project is a 7 string F "tribute".I have had this big chunk of bocote taunting me for years,so I decided to just turn it into a neck through

318824_557513170956008_141779145_n.jpg

Flame maple top on the wings and the back will be ash.My first attempt was with an Afromisa back,but I had a run in with Gorilla glue and all my test cuts broke right at the glue line under very little pressure,so I am in the process off fixing that.Meanwhile I routed the truss rod

734023_557513270955998_1774093305_n.jpg

387363_557513370955988_1458965304_n.jpg

The fretboard I got from HuntinDoug.It's 27.5" scale and has 27 fret slots...which is why I decided on the F shape.No other shape looks so good on a baritone and has such balance while standing.I don't know what the wood is.

378361_557513430955982_1772902252_n.jpg

And a little bling to set it off.Maple veneer

164597_557513454289313_1456587819_n.jpg

Nice woods there! Could the fretboard be ziricote?

I had to try photoshopping that body shape without the humps in the body lines. It could work that way too! Not as much METAL!!! though. I guess that the fact that the upper strap button is pretty high up (in line with the 10-11 fret) helps the balance?

espf-modelwithouthumps_zps317100c8.jpg

Ziricote..yeah,I just went back and found the sale topic I bought them from and that is what it is

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/topic/47095-fretboards-neck-for-sale/

I guess that the fact that the upper strap button is pretty high up (in line with the 10-11 fret) helps the balance?

Exactly.The upper horn is very long and the cutaway is very deep.It's a really great design IMO

This looks like a fun project. I think there is a wenge movement going on this month as several of us are using it.

Personally I love its tone and look... as a builder I hate its splinters, caustic dust, weight, soft spots and grain patterns.

First time I used it I made some serious mistakes. One was using the riftsawn pieces for a neck, in and of itself it is not that bad a mistake because Wenge is so stiff and strong. But I think taking a scraper to that same riftsawn Wenge neck was the worst. It caused uneven spots everywhere I hit the soft grain. I ended up using sanding blocks for a few days to straighten the neck back out because the rasps made a mess as well. Now whenever I use Wenge I use flat sanders and sanding blocks for everything to avoid making the surface uneven.

I hate gorilla glue.

I hope you threw all the gorilla glue out.

Yup.

I have changed the shape somewhat.After all of the changing stuff to install the ash in place of the afromisa I lost a bit of width on the maple,so instead of using the standard F outline I am now using the Forest GT outline,which is somewhat smaller and more refined.I'll take pictures later

Okay so I needed to rout a wiring channel before glue up

379945_557964410910884_2107417546_n.jpg

No,this doesn't scare me at all!

936401_557964427577549_2017896689_n.jpg

I would have liked to have made it perfectly straight even though it can never be seen,but I was incredibly wary of the chance of the bit hitting the steel ruler as I plunged it in,but it will be fine.the hole in the corner will meet the control cavity when I rout it.

525423_557964467577545_479518965_n.jpg

Polyurethane glues do not gap fill with any strength. You have to make a tight joint for them to work properly. Then there is the whole wet thing....

T-88 is good stuff. I like it but sometimes it is too thick for some really tight grained exotic woods. I had a real mess with it last year and an ebony top.

Man if you search for glue on this forum you should get pages pages of hits.

Polyurethane glues do not gap fill with any strength. You have to make a tight joint for them to work properly. Then there is the whole wet thing....

T-88 is good stuff. I like it but sometimes it is too thick for some really tight grained exotic woods. I had a real mess with it last year and an ebony top.

Man if you search for glue on this forum you should get pages pages of hits.

Im aware haha. I know a few builders that use epoxy exclusively, and I know people that swear against it! Obviously a preference thing. I think the benefit is the rapid cure time of the epoxy vs the wood glue... I may be switching myself honestly.

No.If the epoxy has a "rapid cure time"then it is not as strong..just consider it the rule of thumb for epoxy.24 hour cure is all you want.It gives it time to wick in to the wood and create a stronger bond.

5 minute epoxy is crap.Stay away from it.

Oh I figured that 6 hour stuff was pretty good, I've used it to glue in frets, but I guess frets dont really have the same types of stresses as the woods :P

Edited by bob123