Shirtman's Set Neck

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well its finally finished.

I expected this to be done a few weeks ago but ran into a bunch of speed bumps. This build fought coming into the world a few times. Some of were setup issues and some were hardware. I'll go into some detail when I post some better pictures and have a little more time. In the meantime I'm just excited to have it finished so I'm throwing up a preview pic. I'll post some better shots after I have some time to break out the tripod and get properly prhotographed.

IMG_0658_zps6d75aed4.jpg

It's good to be done, huh?

I'm looking forward to seeing your glamour shots.....knowing full well I'm going to be jealous of your photography skills. I'm not jealous of your building skills.

I'm in awe of them.

SR

Thx Scott. I dont know why shooting guitars is such a pain. I'm struggling to get some decent shots today. Just trashed about 100 shots looking for a few good ones. Getting ready to start in on round 2 as I write this.

Taking pics of guitars.

I was given some pointers from Neal Moser once on taking good guitar pics.

A good camera

Good lighting

Here's the trick though, he takes all his pics outside and either on an overcast day or in the shade.

Once I started doing that (outside etc) my pics got WAY clearer.

Reason is you want reflected light, not direct light, like how professional studios have lights shining into silver screens and then the screens reflect the light into the subject, well outside pics the light is reflected by the atmosphere blah blah blah.

I don't have a good camera, I use an iPhone, but even that and outside in the slight shade or overcast day can get some good pics

It's good to be done, huh?

I'm looking forward to seeing your glamour shots.....knowing full well I'm going to be jealous of your photography skills. I'm not jealous of your building skills.

I'm in awe of them.

SR

Thx Scott. I dont know why shooting guitars is such a pain. I'm struggling to get some decent shots today. Just trashed about 100 shots looking for a few good ones. Getting ready to start in on round 2 as I write this.

I don't know either, but it surely is.

Maybe because we see months of effort when we hold it in our hands.....and that just doesn't shine through many of the pics?

SR

Taking pics of guitars.

I was given some pointers from Neal Moser once on taking good guitar pics.

A good camera

Good lighting

Here's the trick though, he takes all his pics outside and either on an overcast day or in the shade.

Once I started doing that (outside etc) my pics got WAY clearer.

Reason is you want reflected light, not direct light, like how professional studios have lights shining into silver screens and then the screens reflect the light into the subject, well outside pics the light is reflected by the atmosphere blah blah blah.

I don't have a good camera, I use an iPhone, but even that and outside in the slight shade or overcast day can get some good pics

That is interesting. It is the exact opposite for me. All my best ones are in direct sunlight.

It has to be at the right time of day though. My best ones come out when the sun is about 30* off the horizon. If it is higher than that then they dont come out right.

Direct light vs. diffuse light is a balance you need to figure out for each shot. Without diffuse light you have sharp hard contrast and tight specular reflections. I remember somebody posting an excellent link to a tutorial on how to photograph a guitar and I can't for the life of me remember where it was now....

• 3 months later...

Been a while since I've posted in this thread because the guitar has been done for several months now and I've been extremely busy. But after seeing the Feb guitar of the month thread go lights out 1/3rd of the way through the month I decided to throw it in there. So these are just some back up pics.

D4Tail_zps14f4bc6f.jpg

D4sidecase5_zps3acaebf5.jpg

D4sidecase4_zpsfb4d241b.jpg

D4squish_zpsd96b9460.jpg

D4progress_zps66e59487.jpg

D4Front_zpscf93dc23.jpg

D4side_zps6a819d48.jpg

D4Headfront_zpscb5650aa.jpg

JohnWallaceguitars12_zps3b532003.jpg

Well it's about damn time! Busy is good, especially for a guy that works for himself, but daaaaang man, my fingers were getting tired of hanging onto that cliff you left us on.

The guitar is awesome. I'm really glad you included that shot of the unfinished neck join carve. I didn't even notice it in the GOTM shots with the clear on it.

I'm guessing the Mohawk applied with a gun was a vast improvement over the rattle can deft? (Don't throw anything at me....I know that was pushing a button :D).

The inlay work is outstanding as well. Will you invest that kind of time and effort into another inlay job, do you think?

SR

Scott~

Thanks. I put the pic of the neck joint in there because it doesn't show well in the finished shots. I had originally pictured something a little deeper and more dramatic but things dont always work out as planned. The guitar plays very nicely. Better than expected actually.

Its got a nice open balanced tone to it. The mohawk out of a gun is the way to go. Much cheaper too. I think I got a gallon of the stuff for under $45.

As far as the inlay. It was a pain but it had a nice payoff. I actually just cut an identical set out by hand in gold mother of pearl. It took me about 3 hours from start to finish and left me with a very sore thumb. Little more work but a little cheaper. I'm wanting to tackle a tree of life in the future. So yeah, I guess I'm up to putting the effort into it again. :)

Sully~

Thanks dude.You compliments are always appreciated.

Same goes for you too Psikot. And congrats on your GOTY win. Well deserved.

Scott~

Thanks. I put the pic of the neck joint in there because it doesn't show well in the finished shots. I had originally pictured something a little deeper and more dramatic but things dont always work out as planned. The guitar plays very nicely. Better than expected actually.

Its got a nice open balanced tone to it. The mohawk out of a gun is the way to go. Much cheaper too. I think I got a gallon of the stuff for under $45.

As far as the inlay. It was a pain but it had a nice payoff. I actually just cut an identical set out by hand in gold mother of pearl. It took me about 3 hours from start to finish and left me with a very sore thumb. Little more work but a little cheaper. I'm wanting to tackle a tree of life in the future. So yeah, I guess I'm up to putting the effort into it again. :)

Sully~

Thanks dude.You compliments are always appreciated.

Same goes for you too Psikot. And congrats on your GOTY win. Well deserved.

John, I keep forgetting to ask the question that popped into my head. You said the guitar plays better than expected. Why? What was there about it that made you feel that it would play as nicely as it turned out to?

SR