Because I'm A Sick Sob....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't seem like a good reason to me. You can do that before. I wouldn't have carved the neck either.

You can inlay and fret the fretboard before it's on the neck. After that, you only need to level and recrown frets, and after that, paint the guitar.

No multitasking involved. Like the guys above have said, it is a recipe for refinish...

No offense mate, but it seems like you really looking for ways to waste your time and money.

Scott, my friend... I think you're right.

I've ALWAYS had problems with finish/paint bleeding over onto the f/b. It doesn't matter how much I tape & prep, it bleeds in every single time. Maybe that's in the back of my mind with this. If this works out, I'm gold. If not, so be it.

The f/b is going to be flush with the body. I don't want to risl gouging the body with the radius blocks, so I'll be doing it separately. This also makes the f/b MUCH easier to inlay. IIDK if I'll be fretting it off the guitar or not. I've read that it can cause the board to curve, which might lead to breakage when it's clamped on. After the inlay work, that would be.... unfortunate.

For the new materials, I know you're dead-on. Also, I'm bored to death with the traditional "maple/mahogany" formula. There ARE other combos that work wonderfully. I guess I look at not using anything other than traditional woods as voodoo. And we all know how I love to give voodoo a hard poke in the eye. B)

One question

How after painting do you plan on prepping the fingerboard area for lamination, as the paint will bleed onto this area, then it'll have to be planed, which will then wreck your paint.

You can scrape it, but then you're creating an in even surface.

I think you may need to re think

One question

How after painting do you plan on prepping the fingerboard area for lamination, as the paint will bleed onto this area, then it'll have to be planed, which will then wreck your paint.

You can scrape it, but then you're creating an in even surface.

I think you may need to re think

it already be all prepped up n junk

ima just tape it up reel good-like

Seriously - I've alrealy thought of that. If the paint bleeds in too far or if I have to do anything that might dork up the surface, I'll be using epoxy.

Listen... I'm not just going about this with a "F-if! Let's see what happens" attitude. Believe it or not, I really do think things through before deciding on a course of action. I was thinking about this build off & on for about a month while I was driving my route (I'm a bus driver). I have a TON of free mental time to ponder every aspect of what's being planned, including contingency plans.

Fair enough - just presenting possible issues.

Personally though, if the main thing you're worried about is bumping the body whilst radiusing, then you'll have a panic attack when it comes to bevel the fret edges!

In all seriousness, my opinion (I said my opinion, doesn't mean its fact or law) is that what you're doing is counter productive and going to create larger issues than the small ones your trying to avoid. As I said, only my 2c, now prove us all wrong!

Im not even sure what you mean by paint bleed. You mean the colour bleeds under the clear? If so, you're doing it really wrong. If you mean it gets on the fretboard face, then we all have that issue to some extent. Razor blade as a scraper fixes it in under two minutes for the whole surface.

Just doing it in an arse about way, is going to take CONSIDERABLY longer. Efficiency man!

I had a guy working here for a bit, i was training him to do everything I do. He doesnt work here anymore, moved interstate, so I lost my assistant.

Anyway, he was a spray painter at an truck/trailer manufacturers and left a jackson guitar body here that he'd sprayed at his work in some high fill white primer. I have no idea what sort, but its now all crows footing and cracking apart.

Only time I've seen white primer. All that I've bought have been either light grey or dark grey.

• 3 weeks later...