Kea's Guitar Build Thread

I agree - being self critical is a good thing & yes he has improved 10 fold & he was good to start with. I also agree with your analogy, critics only remember bad reviews. But being self-critical for the sake of it is self-defeating.

Constructive criticism is a good thing. Stand back & say "It's good - but how could I make it better" don't look at it and judge it as bad - because we can all see it's not - unless your pics are Photoshop'd.

I used to be an athlete at school & guys who just got a PB slated themselves saying they could have done better.

Exactly.

Based on the last few shots Luis, I'd say you are only a couple of guitars away from making a completely invisible one. That's brilliant.

SR

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Although it looked pretty great in the pictures when i took them, it already shrunk back and looks terrible. I knew it would, it never lasts. 8 years of making guitars and working with finishes, and still, no matter what i do, what finish i use, how long i let it cure, it ALWAYS shrinks back.

Yeah, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the best thing to do for a smooth clear finish is pore fill everything regardles of fine the pores are and completely cover the surface of the wood. Sort of finish it and then clear it. I imagine that is why Fender and others seal up the wood in that nearly indistructable polyester what-ever-it is first. Then if it shrinks back to a perfectly smooth surface nothing shows.

SR

So, FINALLY it seems like i am getting somewhere. Got the customer Rhoads guitar pretty much done, and am just finish sanding the zebrawood EXP. I have worked on these guitars for hours ever single day for months. Normally i can knock out a guitar in a week and a half if just do one at a time. But for some reason, i decided to make like 4 at once, all different stages. So it took forever.

But i am finally finishing up this round of guitars. Feels pretty good.

I am going to start a more traditional guitar soon. As soon as i get a template for it.

Your Explorer design both blows me away and endlessly tempts me every time I see it Luis. I am so tempted to nab that design for a bass for myself but can't bring myself to do so out of respect. You absolute git. hahaha

Love'em! Incredibly clean lines and beautiful tops. I already voiced my opinion on the binding earlier :)

Exactly! Introducing the bevelling to any shape takes a good eye in order to get the balancing right. Short of having graduated bevelling you can't make that much better.

Thanks guys! I really feel like am improving on every build. Even after 8 years i still learn new things and better methods.

Pros, If you really want it for a bass, Go for it. It would be the only bass in that shape ever.

haha, Mike! I normally wear even more camo than that. I thought about camo wrapping my truck too. But too expensive.

Thanks guys! I really feel like am improving on every build. Even after 8 years i still learn new things and better methods.

Pros, If you really want it for a bass, Go for it. It would be the only bass in that shape ever.

haha, Mike! I normally wear even more camo than that. I thought about camo wrapping my truck too. But too expensive.

Yep those full truck wraps ain't cheap! :)

Really sweet subtle bevelling on the rear of the headstock Luis. You're underpricing yourself otherwise you could wrap your entire garden and all of the trees in camo too. :D

Seriously. Minor finish glitches aside you've got some strong work going on there. The only constructive negative comment I am able to offer is that the truss rod access that runs under the nut would be better if it were filleted and closed, and perhaps better grain matching on the cavity cover? Those are seriously minor in the grand scheme of things though.

Oh, and pickups. Those things really set off an instrument you know? <_<

PS. DAMN. I just rolled over your username to check your rep and it's pretty damn stratospheric! I might need to invent some new level of kudos for you now.