KEA 2015 builds (still dragging on)

Got the macassar ebony exp pretty much done. I havnt taken pics since i assembled it.

I still dont get how the string spacing of a hipshot is the same as a TOM, but it needs an F spaced bridge pickup?

oiled%20007_zps5imxnp3g.jpg

oiled%20005_zpsfpetn0sj.jpg

All looking very rock and great. Still think the neck is a bit short on that one though :D

It looks killer! I like that top, you should try with full tops instead of veneers...

Nah, no reason to. I would just be paying 4X as much to not make any more profit on it. Plus with a thicker top the bevel wouldnt look good, since the top would end in about the middle of the bevel.

No point in spending hundreds on just one piece for a top. I am going broke building guitars as it is.

Agree on that, tops are quite expensive, but I guess there would be more than just aesthetics... maybe some sound variations? And maybe you can not get more profit from your builds because those veneers... I'm pretty sure people would pay +500 for a real top on one of your beasts. ;)

Agree on that, tops are quite expensive, but I guess there would be more than just aesthetics... maybe some sound variations? And maybe you can not get more profit from your builds because those veneers... I'm pretty sure people would pay +500 for a real top on one of your beasts. ;)

you would think they would be willing, most of my customers wont even pay an extra 75$ for flame maple binding and the extra work that goes into it.

Dang Luis, you are really dialing your bursts in! That adds so much to an already stunning top and ties it to the wenge even better. What the heck is olive ash though? I've never run across that one.

SR

Thanks scott. Bursts have always come natural to me for some reason.

Olive ash is its own species, from what i understand. It just happens to have a lot of figure and burl most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

So along with being out of state twice in the past 2 weeks and a ton of other little problems, I finally got this one done.
It is a slightly down tuned instrument. The new owner wanted a D standard/ drop c tuning for it. So i strung it with 11-56 strings and it feels and sounds massive.

Duncan SH5 custom and 59, both coil tapped.

010_zpskr9pyyiv.jpg
011_zpsjy0zy590.jpg
015_zpsnimnnp6s.jpg
014_zps4ipjuads.jpg
013_zpsaqdww6f7.jpg
012_zpsmaiafl0f.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Havnt been doing much real guitar building lately. I started hating it again and running into a million problems, so i am back to wanting to quit.

The black one looks like a 50$ paint job even though i tried as hard as i could on it. It is just sitting there unstrung for now since i keep messing up when i try to make a nut for it.

Also, the customer for the macassar ebony EXP wasnt too happy with it. I think my best guitars are behind me. i havnt made a great instrument in about 7 guitars.

That dude's an idiot.

Take some time off, relax and don't think about building till it starts to sound like fun again. Don't start another one until you miss it.

SR

Nah, i dont blame him. With a custom guitar people expect it to be immaculate. He found the 2 flaws on the entire thing.

Been taking it easy. I really love cutting wood and planing wood so i have been making a bunch of neck blanks and laminates out of what i have left. Along with a few bodies. I almost feel like i can make more and quicker money selling bodies, and it is way more fun.

Not loving every build is a good thing.

It means you're picky and discerning.

That's the hallmark of any good craftsman.

Your builds are beautiful, especially the Olive Ash.

I remember I did an Olive Ash Burl veneer guitar ages ago and I love it too.

It's really some of my favorite burl veneer when you find the right piece(s).

Not loving every build is a good thing.

It means you're picky and discerning.

That's the hallmark of any good craftsman.

Your builds are beautiful, especially the Olive Ash.

I remember I did an Olive Ash Burl veneer guitar ages ago and I love it too.

It's really some of my favorite burl veneer when you find the right piece(s).

Thanks Drak. Its always a pick me up when you drop in an comment.

If you did decide to hang up the towel, you would be the second luthier I've heard of this week that has decided to call it quits.

It's a profession that always looks better from the outside, but once you're in the middle it's quite demanding and can certainly be stressful.

If you did decide to hang up the towel, you would be the second luthier I've heard of this week that has decided to call it quits.

It's a profession that always looks better from the outside, but once you're in the middle it's quite demanding and can certainly be stressful.

Its been a long time coming. This july will be 10 years that i have been at it. Over 110 guitars that i have built entirely from scratch. I get burnt out easily on things.