2.5itim's first build!

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

That's a handy skill you have there.

For bridge placement, I typically run the high E saddle forward towards the nut about 80% of its travel. Then measure the scale length from the inside edge of the nut to the break point on that high E saddle. Mark it and mount my bridge there. That's for a hardtail type bridge. TOMs start in the same place, but the low E side angles back slightly as well.

SR

Ok that sounds a bit easier than I'm making it out to be in my head. And the break point on the saddle would be where the string actually leaves the saddle? So here where my pen is at?

image.jpeg

Yeah Scott, the trades that I've learned over the years have definitely come in handy, ecspecially for someone like me that always has to be tinkering with something. With that being said I really think I am just gonna start making my own bridges/tremolos. It's such a simple thing and it's hard to justify spending $75-$150 on them when I could make one myself in about an hour. 

3 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

For those hipshot bridges, i use the screw holes as the measurement. I have found that putting the screw holes right at 1.25" past the scale length works perfectly.

That's what I was looking for!! So if I put the center of the 3 screw holes at 26.75" I should have no problem intonating it?

yeah pro, it really does come in handy! We have 5 manual Bridgeport mills here and 8 manual lathes I am almost always over there making something for myself. 

Although for something like that I would probably just bust it out on the cnc ecspecially since you already have it in solid works. 

1 hour ago, 2.5itim said:

Ok that sounds a bit easier than I'm making it out to be in my head. And the break point on the saddle would be where the string actually leaves the saddle? So here where my pen is at?

Exactly.

You'll probably find the K's screw hole measurement leaves it in pretty much the same place.

SR

• Like 1

I was originally planning on making a new bridge and using my Hipshot saddles on it but then I remembered the lady got me this bridge for Valentine's Day and she would be pretty sad if I didn't use it on this so this is what I came up with, it's just a 1/8" spacer to raise my bridge up a little bit. I was super busy at work today and I couldn't stay late so I had to do this while my cnc was running, needless to say I didn't have a lot of time and it's not my best work but it'll do the job!

now it's off to powder coating. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, psikoT said:

Some bridges come with an optional baseplate like the one you've made, very nice...

Thanks man much appreciated!! I didn't know they sold these, at least now I know for sure it'll work lol  

I was able to get all my wiring holes drilled, input jack drilled and tuner holes drilled tonight, angling the drill bit into the toggle cavity worked perfectly just like y'all said it would. 

I need to go buy a 3/4" forstner bit tomorrow (it seems to be the only one that I don't have) to inset the input jack, these tuners are just extras I have laying around for mockup, my black ones are in the mail along with my black input jack and my pots. 

Now I just need to get my bridge spacer back from powdercoating, get the bridge mounted, buy pickups, finish sand, lacquer finish, make my electrical covers out of aluminum/powdercoating them and figure out this bridge and we should be all done!! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 2.5itim

I'm also wanting to do some inlay work on the headstock, could y'all give me some pointers? 

The end of the headstock is kind of an important part on this because if I do end up putting a name to this and end up making more guitars the swoosh would be an important part of my "guitar name" so I was just wanting to inlay a swoosh to follow the end of the headstock I just have no idea how to do inlays so if y'all could give me some advice or tutorials I'd be greatly appreciative!!

8 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

That's what I was looking for!! So if I put the center of the 3 screw holes at 26.75" I should have no problem intonating it?

yeah pro, it really does come in handy! We have 5 manual Bridgeport mills here and 8 manual lathes I am almost always over there making something for myself. 

Although for something like that I would probably just bust it out on the cnc ecspecially since you already have it in solid works. 

Correction, I meant 3/4" past the scale. I hope i caught you in time. I put it at 26.25" for a 25.5" scale. Sorry for the mixup. I was thinking of a wrong scale.

22 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

Correction, I meant 3/4" past the scale. I hope i caught you in time. I put it at 26.25" for a 25.5" scale. Sorry for the mixup. I was thinking of a wrong scale.

No problemo man! I haven't installed it yet, I'm waiting on my spacer to come back from powdercoating before mounting it, so we are all good lol! I will go ahead and put it at 26.25" thank you. 

5 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

No problemo man! I haven't installed it yet, I'm waiting on my spacer to come back from powdercoating before mounting it, so we are all good lol! I will go ahead and put it at 26.25" thank you. 

I usually do a 'just in case' double check on something as important as this.  I suggest you pencil where the bridge will be and then double check using @ScottR 's method.  My method is similar to Scott's.  I wind the top E to almost full travel forward, I place the bridge at scale length for that saddle and then make sure that there is at least enough travel for the bottom E saddle to be at scale length + 4mm. My double check is then to measure one of my guitars of the same scale and see if it matches with a tad of extra adjustment either way forwards or backwards...

@Andyjr1515, I will definitely use yalls way to double check myself before installing the bridge. 

Today I was able to get the back of the body rounded over, I wasn't originally planning on doing this but I started thinking about it and figured I would like to give it a try. this actually turned out to be quite hard on this guitar, for some reason my top of my body is completely flat and level but the back laminate of the body has a slight bow to it and I just found out about this while using the router table. This doesn't particularly bother me because it isn't noticeable just looking at the guitar but it did make today's tasks pretty hard to do. So I ended up setting my router height, cutting a few inches, resetting my router height and so on and so on. All together after cleaning it up with my rasp and sand paper it turned out great. 

I finish sanded the body today also, in the close up pic of the top I will post the grain is pretty wavy and you can feel it with your hands. No matter how much I sand it I can't get it flat, any ideas?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On 2/28/2016 at 4:01 PM, 2.5itim said:

I finish sanded the body today also, in the close up pic of the top I will post the grain is pretty wavy and you can feel it with your hands. No matter how much I sand it I can't get it flat, any ideas?

As a novice wood worker. I have this problem, too. I was looking at this other day....

IMG_20160216_191405_zpsgevutcz1.jpg

And was like, "How the hell did that become this..."

IMG_20160216_203558_zpscmigsa7b.jpg

When I sand things, they most typically just have less wood, with not much less irregularity.

I mean, I understand how it is supposed to work. I just can't seem to make it happen. Still practicing....!

• Like 1

@sirspens I know exactly what you mean! I still have so much left to learn, and it's really hard on me lol. I normally don't have to try very hard to be good at something. Not being conceded or anything but I'm often told that I'm usually really good at things without much effort but wood working really hasn't been that way for me! But just gotta practice and practice and think about how to fix screw ups instead of just saying f it!

• Like 1

That is one thing I like about wood working is wood can almost always be added back on but in my day job of cutting steel that isn't the case. One screw up there and you just ruined 10's of thousands of dollars in a split second. 

42 minutes ago, 2.5itim said:

@sirspens I know exactly what you mean! I still have so much left to learn, and it's really hard on me lol. I normally don't have to try very hard to be good at something. Not being conceded or anything but I'm often told that I'm usually really good at things without much effort but wood working really hasn't been that way for me! But just gotta practice and practice and think about how to fix screw ups instead of just saying f it!

Yeah. Me too. I've always been a quick study and new skills have usually come fairly easily for me. I knew taking on building guitars would be hard. Working with my hands is not one of those things I have ever been good at. That's why I decided to do it. I just have to remind myself of that sometimes. I really want to build a guitar!

I never sand with my hands unaided. It simply serves to hide problems more than it does to deal with them; sure it knocks off the high spots, but it rounds them out and blends them into one undulating inconsistent surface. Constantly mark the area up with pencil and sand using hard blocks, bits of rubber or other things which are harder than your hand. Pool noodles, squares of thin plywood which bend a little, etc. The pencil stays in the low areas but would otherwise get scrubbed out by fingers. Lighting plays a key role too; having an opposable lamp helps move the light around so you can examine shadows and highlights.

• Like 1