build #11 - Snuffy's Billy Bongo bass

It's together (ish), still have to do strap buttons and string tree, which I've a feeling I forgot to order, and wire it up. Really impressed with the ramp though! if ever I build myself a bass, it'll have one of those. I noodled on it for a good hour tonight, it has surpassed my expectations for my first bass.

ACtC-3cdDN0Fo5onDG-zHBRbbYvzYTN_3f4IQPcP

ACtC-3eZnTt2ZVy3azp1H9HG7CWGXPoe553M7YsU

ACtC-3dv638yGDM-Uci24L4tC0SAR48kgQlXCaPF

ACtC-3dlv-unvps4W0EM3Emjx25o6xHkEMkxVNCF

I think the back fo the headstock is my favourite part :) 

ACtC-3ddCPwxQb8-jONZa6wnXHuTZIEZU43peAli

• Like 3

I appreciate this doesn't look like it's progressed much further that the last photos, but it's wired up now. The active stuff took a bit of figuring out - Glad I realised I needed a stereo jack to stop the battery draining. The pickups sound awesome, so does the active EQ, I think Snuffy is going to be chuffed with it. I just need to lower the nut action a bit on the bottom C string and screw in a string tree when it arrives :) 

FIRST BASS DONE

ACtC-3dDqvqbVqgi0G892kwtQPf743krPgJzxBMS

ACtC-3fxsX8GQ5I6sXTF8o4dZ15AwwdsxAPkC7T-

ACtC-3dWf8LW6fBSCFoPeBqLz9Xfl12O5zaexONW

ACtC-3f_LV_X-a3FJWqt8C5Cs4ksjR5gvNPS2-q_

ACtC-3c-6PCfW-euRgc1VLm3M1axBH3X8s_GtTEy

ACtC-3fcmgxcljkOmY9RY1oLrYpPLoPJhOW-zeXw

ACtC-3cGtF6Gc4J2X4EQD5GjRaRfOi1lIrQmorEN

ACtC-3c5HXb82Us4GsK45zs-o9p5Otpf_E0whM12

ACtC-3dfFEMBpB2aks95pPrGtKkexR9ed4zKs5q1

ACtC-3c1qf_aQDEX5rJcEEn1cihD7GM6CxYaPQmE

ACtC-3cxr8Ko_G_7y7CcCmEiWRaa3qX9efzTUItT

• Like 3

Trying hard to look any flaws (you know me!?) and all I could find looks like there's some glue at the bass end of the 12th fret... 🤪

Beautiful, simply beautiful!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Trying hard to look any flaws (you know me!?) and all I could find looks like there's some glue at the bass end of the 12th fret... 🤪

Beautiful, simply beautiful!

There were more than just a few gotchas during this build (other than the obvious dropping it on a concrete floor) here's an example of what happened when I was trying to remove the nut to shim it. Fortunately it glued back in without being visible, but I was rather angry,

ACtC-3eA9xMrU33QzqQzeYvqR-yrD2HN-O2qMCto

4 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

There were more than just a few gotchas during this build (other than the obvious dropping it on a concrete floor) here's an example of what happened when I was trying to remove the nut to shim it. Fortunately it glued back in without being visible, but I was rather angry,

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. The little gotchas we all get hit with are the guitar gods reminding us to be humble. I know this because they always come just when things are going great and I think maybe I've finally got this thing down.

Absolutely stellar build!

SR

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 4:43 PM, ScottR said:

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. The little gotchas we all get hit with are the guitar gods reminding us to be humble. I know this because they always come just when things are going great and I think maybe I've finally got this thing down.

Absolutely stellar build!

SR

Yep, they have a habit of showing up when they are wanted least!

Finishing touches.. I've entered this one in GOTM though I expect it will lose badly to an outrageously good looking red burl, there will be no shame in that.
ACtC-3eYmTrbalW9Tvq0hIfK7kjFqzxTrbh45Fat

I've been working on the singlecut over the last week, got it all sanded and buffed up :) 

And some assembly, it was at this point I realised I got the bridge pickup wrong, so I superglued some cocktail sticks in the pickup ring holes, went at the inside of the cavity with a gouge because there wasn't enough room - it only needed to move over by 1-2mm and it was just the pickup post that was fouling the cavity, I must have just got the cavity slightly off.

ACtC-3e92uCBfkGtGeUMiutjQr_e9T2047VcOjVr

Now the pickup ring is sorted and it's all wired up. I spent an hour or so noodling on it with my little fender combo. Will give it a proper bash on a valve amp tomorrow. I just needs a truss rod cover and it's done :) 

ACtC-3cSaX9rVjenc6MmBcu-e3ZQD3BPDF6cQnFK

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ScottR said:

I do.

That's a phrase that could haunt you got the rest of your life.

On the other hand, there have been at least two builds that I finish sanded by feel in the dark of the wee hours with a beer in the other hand. Damn smooth job too.

Haha. I found shining a torch once I’ve wiped it down shows up low spots, failing that I need proper natural sunlight  or just can’t see the shiny bits 

Little vanity project - I've been geeing myself up to do an acoustic build and got a bending iron, so I had a go at binding a bit of ziricote to make a fancy truss rod cover. I snapped 2 bits of 2mm thick maple, so I cut the third bit down to 1.5mm and that did the trick. Don't let the photo fool you, the iron was on 250ºC - Amazed I didn't burn myself 🤣

yS6Ymo8rxgutoFMP0jNM1qTc6ZTsxagpcpyZOdD1

ACtC-3cDvRgu5P6-RhRQ1HdqNy4fE4SseQd_WDMy

ACtC-3evv_30JyS15FXmwK4o5cHSXYUNesMUMLqC

I'm not overly happy with the visible seam on the headstock, but we don't need to talk about that.

ACtC-3eRtScNw-xXm7tz9DCEx1piZe42c_Aa_T2A

Just need to buff the back covers and she's done :) 

ACtC-3fO3wmEDKCLOH--qUBhWaLh7iOlbu7Z-N6E

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Little vanity project - I've been geeing myself up to do an acoustic build and got a bending iron, so I had a go at binding a bit of ziricote to make a fancy truss rod cover.

I misread that at first and though you were going to have a go at bending a piece of ziricote. :blink: Nothing like set up a challenge for the first project. Although ebony does get used for binding from time to time, so maybe it can be done.

I must say your each of your builds go up a level in quality over the last. And they started out pretty dang high.

Carry on.

SR

• Like 1