"Guitar" pics

Check out the pic here

A friend of mine made this from scratch. Quoting him-

"I originally made a neck unit from scratch- it was about 25 inches long, and 3 inches wide at the greatest width. A pickup unit was included, which consisted of only- two feet of wire, a quarter inch jack, and two neodymium magnets. The strings were suspened between two conductive plates. Each plate was wired to different connectors on the output jack. This creates electricity by making a current when the string moves through the magnetic field. Obviously it is sent along the wires and out to the amp. I fretted the neck myself with frets from Stew Mac. I made the tuners from raw materials, with little machining. Later, I made a body out of walnut and maple that can be removed from the original small unit.

Eventually I will become a member of this forum, but until then, e-mail me questions at apex@drastic-creations.com"

He is 13 y/o

http://apex.drastic-creations.com/realbody.gif

dude it isn't supposed to be pro. He bought no premanufactured parts whatsoever, and was confident in building the POS. Props, at least, for inventing his own p/u... right?

He copied the scale from his gibson Les Paul '58 reissue Black beauty, so even humble atrocities can have glorious roots, right?

where most are playing video games or messing around

here here!

I made my first guitar, an acoustic, just before I turned 13. Looking back now it was total CRAP, but I thought it was great, and that's what kept me going. Give the kid time, if he sticks with guitar building he'll be selling them in a few years... trust me.

I think its great for his age and it's so different! He's actually made all the bits as well! Well done I say!

give the THIRTEEN YEAR OLD some credit guys

um...they did... :D

Kids got patience, perseverence & ingenuity (I have no spelling skills). When I was 13 all I was doing was riding my bike and playing video games....wait a minute!!! I'm 30 now and that's still all I do  Sad...so sad 

I think its great for his age and it's so different! He's actually made all the bits as well! Well done I say!

I made my first guitar, an acoustic, just before I turned 13. Looking back now it was total CRAP, but I thought it was great, and that's what kept me going. Give the kid time, if he sticks with guitar building he'll be selling them in a few years... trust me.

Actually I'm quite impressed concidering his age where most are playing video games or messing around he show's some talent for the future, needs a little direction but at that age to do that is impressive 

props for ingenuity. more props for seeing the project to the end. i know when i was that age, i lost interest rather quickly and would end up coming back later or just tossin' it.

it's a bit crude, but the humble beginnings of a futuer luthier in the makings there. 

just out of curiousity, how's it sound?

For 13 years old im surprised he acually went through to finish it. May not be the best job be he has the motivation. Maybe when he gets older and takes the time for proper measuring then he can make sum better guitars.

...see? :DB)

Hey I'm the kid that built that....Thanks for all the coments and feedback. First, it looks like I edited the image from somethign else, because I did. I used some cheap editor to edit out the background. The waists are messed, because I had to use a circle thing to make a line, but that is basically how it is. I wrote a paper about it for a science project. It is extremely corny, but.. what the hey!! I may win money. Here's the link to the paper: http://apex.drastic-creations.com/Report.doc. If you want a complete picture, just tell me.

I meant a pic to the entire body. Anyway, the guitar kinda looks like crap because my digital camera is messed. I just cracked Photoshop, so I'm going to take a new pic and edit it better.

Maybe... I'm not sure if it is worth it/ unless you have a lot of money, it is difficult to build an awesome guitar from scratch, and I feel that it really isnt worth it unless you do that. I'd rather build the whole thing, then just assemble it. Normal pickups are difficult to make, so I would buy them.

Pickups aren't that hard to make, you just need to make a winder first. Get hold of a copy of Jason Lollars book, it's got the winder plans and method how to do it. The only thing that's doing my nugget at the moment is when to stop winding. I'm not great at the electrical bits so I don't know what resistance values I'm after for the pups (not yet anyway). :D

Congratulations again dude, when I was 13 I couldn't even be bothered to putthe chain back on my bike, let alone build a guitar. If you're strapped for cash (who isn't) why don't you buy an old fairly knackered guitar and build something nice out of it, that's what I'm doing for sort of a practice guitar. I'm currently butchering my first (and only) guitar to make it a hollow body with 2 violin style F holes.

I routed out the inside of the body last night, the missus wasn't impressed, I don't think she knew how much sawdust is contained in a strat, oh well the problems of routing in the spare bedroom. B)