You Want Steerheads? Wellsir, You Got Steerheads

Drak

This is a placeholder for the moment, but I assure you it will pick up speed shortly.

When I posted a few finished guitars around the end of 2018, there were several requests for 'More Steerheads!' (cue SNL cowbell skit)

Well, I didn't forget and I'm working on a Steerhead right now which prompted me to address this somewhat dated request.

So I'm going to post a boatload of Steerheads here, all in one thread, until the topic is exhausted.

The Good, the Bad, the Burnt, the Broken, the re-negotiated, the starters and the benchwarmers, the playahs and the poser-boys.

The Brazos Valley contingent...the Rio Bravo brigade...the Badlands Pistoleros...the Compadre Cavalcade, the whole Corral cut loose.

Coming soon to a theater near you, please observe proper seating distancing and wear your damn face mask!

8faf4f468ef8793721fcdbd8e1e3aa2c--wild-w

5 hours ago, Drak said:

I Googled 'cattleskulls' just to be sure I knew what you were referring to.

Google popped this up, is this what you mean?

d08e3e00-0d12-4fe5-8794-f6da9457f00f._CR

oh @Drak, fatal mistake of taking me seriously!  i was trying to be funny (cattleskulls vs steerheads)... yes that looks to me to be a cattleskull.

6 hours ago, mistermikev said:

oh @Drak, fatal mistake of taking me seriously!  

i was trying to be funny (cattleskulls vs steerheads)... yes that looks to me to be a cattleskull.

Then I believe we are each in alignment, where steerheads and cattleskulls can co-mingle in harmony.

You then, sir, will not be disapointed, is my forecast.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Drak said:

Then I believe we are each in alignment, where steerheads and cattleskulls can co-mingle in harmony.

You then, sir, will not be disapointed, is my forecast.

noice...  looking fwd to it!  (note to self - would be cool to incorporate a cattle skull into future guitar build pictures... maybe some tumbleweed...)

Haha!

The W.O.D...

Komodo, we only talk about the W.O.D. in silenced, hushed whispers in the dark, vacant, dank, and rarely accessed corners of the dark web.

And I still remain the midget...with a bucket and a mop...in the dungeon of despair where I rule in the darkness!

Skinned alive!

Here's a refin I did using a heat gun to remove the first (lacquer) finish, Chevron Sunset.

The old girl is still with me to this day, this was probably oh, 8-10 years ago?

But, each pic has a steerhead in it, so we're good to go. And, its interesting!

You can see Both the dye On the wood, and the dye In the lacquer (my typical shoot scheme, a little of both)

Pretty damn clean strip job if you ask me, no burns, no digs, no mistakes.

This first shot, my hand is pulling that strip of lacquer up and off the wood, you can't see my hand in the pic.

You can also see that 90% of the burst is done right on the wood, the dye in the lacquer is just the last 5-10% of the job.

wk62yOB.jpg

RhFKgQp.jpg

FX5CWAT.jpg

• Like 1

i don't know what kind of insanity pills you are taking that you would strip that one... no doubt you'll make it look great again but man... she really looks beautiful in the "B4" pick.  gonna be pretty hard to top that!  so many lovelies there but that one and the blue "articulated" one are my favs!!

did you hand rub that one?  would love to see your technique.

also... how do you feel in general about the tele format?  (hehe, this is a joke)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mistermikev said:

i don't know what kind of insanity pills you are taking that you would strip that one... no doubt you'll make it look great again but man... she really looks beautiful in the "B4" pick.  gonna be pretty hard to top that!  so many lovelies there but that one and the blue "articulated" one are my favs!!

did you hand rub that one?  would love to see your technique.

That strip job was done a loong time ago, here is the refinished job, might have different pickups in it now.

I kind of laughed when I was done, for the time it took, it looks very similar to the first rendition.

And it was completely stripped and sanded back to raw before the refin.

But its more 'contrasty' now from light-to-dark.

Basically, wound up being an improved version on version one, ...almost like putting a contrast filter over No.1.

Arguments could be made for either version, really, version 1 looks a bit more 'traditional', version 2 looks more 'rock' if you ask me.

I don't do hand-rub dye blends, my bursts are done with an airbrush (or my regular spray-gun sometimes).

HNuaMUz.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drak said:

That strip job was done a loong time ago, here is the refinished job, might have different pickups in it now.

I kind of laughed when I was done, for the time it took, it looks very similar to the first rendition.

And it was completely stripped and sanded back to raw before the refin.

But its more 'contrasty' now from light-to-dark.

Basically, wound up being an improved version on version one, ...almost like putting a contrast filter over No.1.

Arguments could be made for either version, really, version 1 looks a bit more 'traditional', version 2 looks more 'rock' if you ask me.

I'm tempted to do it again, with even more contrast the next time...

I don't do hand-rub dye blends, my bursts are done with an airbrush (or my regular spray-gun sometimes).

I have pics of the airbrush process done on another guitar somewhere...

HNuaMUz.jpg

ok, admittedly... you eclipsed it.  very nice.  odd coincidence I use an airbrush too.  it has so much better control.  I've never tried with a detail spray gun but I like the fact that you accomplish the burst in several passes with the airbrush.  

really nicely done there.  i like how there is just a tiny hint of darkness creeping over the edge.  

I think you and I use dissimilar terms for the same thing (i.e. cowskulls/steerheads)

When you say detail gun, I think you mean (what I call) a pint gun.

If true, that's my normal spray gun, I never use quart guns, don't even own one.

Although I do have two detail guns, one with a big(ger) tip for clearcoats and one with a finer tip I usually use for the bursts.

• Like 1

Jamaica-Caster! It has different pickups in it now. This is a traditional Tele, non-active controls.

This is a 1/4" Oak top over chambered Cherry core, pore-filled with black Timbermate pore filler.

The headstock is taken from a roll of Oak veneer I have, same process.

Xi2IB13.jpg

vBvWozY.jpg

mPvqUY8.jpg

yC4UFTs.jpg

AjfMa9j.jpg