Advice on walnut finish

DWard

Welcome to the addiction!

Oiled walnut looks great, the oil darkens the wood quite a bit and adds a warm lustre. Tung, Danish, Crimson Guitar Finishing, Boiled Linseed... Or oil waxes like Osmo... The end result of all of them is pretty similar so choose what you can get in the most convenient package. You don't need much for a guitar, a cup is plenty enough!

Some information here: https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/blog/traditional-wood-oils-3-of-the-best/  . Also look at https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/blog/how-to-apply-osmo-polyx-oil/

• Like 1

I ordered some tung oil and osmo Polyx-oil and sanded some test strips over the weekend. This is the inlay I’m considering. Not sure how to get a clean line on the carved shoulder part, might have to do a little bit of a natural burst or tobacco burst finish right up to the edge, but I like the black contrast there89AF7920-BCDD-4EB4-B674-4B69D9733961.thumb.jpeg.418fd16c0b71a0fbc25274cc3de09b92.jpeg

Thanks Scott! I had to take yet another look to find out what it was and I still struggled until I looked at it at the right direction.

My initial impression was close, though, with a girl and water... The composition of the centre part has surprising resemblance with the dynamics of the mermaid drawing!

Akseli_Gallen-Kallela_-_Aino_Myth,_Tript

Good eye SR. I have a ton of these monochrome and two tone type images that I downloaded for V-bit engraving and inlaying. Mostly they are tattoo designs but they work great in artcam. I was trying to find something that complimented the curves on the guitar body.

Maybe I should do a Odysseus series with a cyclops strat and a Telemachus tele

• Like 1

Nobody has touched on this yet....

Cocobolo is beautiful, but is a COMPLETE PAIN IN THE ASS TO FINISH. The wood is incredibly oily, even for rosewoods. You alsoLUTEly HAVE to seal in the oils before any finishing. If you don't the natural oils WILL rise to the surface, blacken, and prevent the finish from curing, turning the surface into mud.

The only cure for this I've come across is shellac. Prep the wood, then put a coat of shellac on it ASAP. Maybe two coats. IDK why it works - I just don't remember anymore - but it does. Also, any given finish (except oil) can go over shellac just fine. It's basically the only finish that will stick to another well. You just have to make sure the give it plenty of time to cure before putting anything else on top. Alternatively, you can buff it out with steel wool for a great matte sheen.

I was actually planning to leave the cocobolo natural and just sand it down but you’ve given me something think about. I was thinking about a thin layer of epoxy on the back of the pickguard to prevent cracking and be a barrier between wood types but I have not considered a surface finish.

I have also thought long and hard about how to finish my guitars so far I have used textured paint , polyurethane satin, and nitrocellulose gloss clear coat. I find textured paint hides a lot of blemishes while nitrocellulose gives a deep gloss shine. I have just purchased some teak oil for my next project and will post pics when done.

I've gone up to Abranet 400-600 before the first coats and used the fine Mirlon Total nylon abrasive comparable with 1400 for applying a number of pore filling coats with the slurry it makes.