Spalted maple strat project

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

bump

Yo Coen, did you end up finishing off the spalt strat yet?

I just got some spalt from sandi1070 myself (thanks for the inspiration), and I'm really having a hard time trying to figure out what color of hardware (bridge, pup covers, etc) will set it off nicely.

well, I learned an important lesson: one component poly-urethane won't cure hard within a month or 3.

I had a lot of bad luck with the finish. I went with nitro after all and the body needs about one more week to cure.

Don't worry, I'll post pics as soon as I'm finished.

Spirit, thanks, it is bound front and back. The back is mahogany and I think I like it better than the front.

tsl, the "dent" in the armrest liiks worse in the picture than it really is. This was my first complete binding job - maybe I should have started with something other than spalted maple? :D

Very classy TSL, you've got the variations on a Fender theme down to an art, I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Thanks Setch,

Right now I'm refinishing that black flame tele. The finish was after all not to my liking and I'll put on an all maple neck. That'll keep me busy.

Still dreaming on building a "perfect strat"... then it's LP and archtop time I guess... :D

Something about the curves on that make it reminiscent of a Tele, yet with a strat body...weird....

The spalt on that is the best spalt I have ever seen, and I am very glad it made it into the hands of a luthier as skilled as you. Keep up the good work! B):D:D