Converting a strat to a Floyd!

but i have a little prob, i just bought a kahler trem but i cant install it, because the pivots are to small (M5), so they don't fit in the holes (1/4") that are there. can anyone tell me how to remove the metal pieces in the body (in german called "einschlaghülsen") where the pivots are screwed in?????? B):D:D

You need to make something sort of like this :

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_...es.html#details

And maybe even heat the bushings with a soldering iron before pulling them out.

Of course, instead of pulling on a knob, like in that link above, you would have it pulling on a threaded rod/bolt, or even the pivot post that screws into that bushing, but if possible use something else so you don't scratch up the pivot post.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice tool, but i think i'll just drill them out (the brutal way of removing it ;D) and then fill the holes with some wood glued in with epoxy and then drill new holes and put new bushings in them. i am afraid, that the wood gets damaged, when pulling them out

i dont know if they should be glued into the wood, what do you think?

Thanks Derek!

i think the posts are actually in different locations, i have the diagram here for retrofiting a strat with a floyd, specifically it shows you where to place the posts in relation to the 2 types of posts!"

Can you send me a scan of that diagram? That would be great!!!!

Thanks,

MK!

let me know if you want a bigger one, i'll send you the original, but it's 23mb lol

Floyd Rose Installation Guide

pics aren't showing up for me, use this instead.... http://www.fullservesite.com/cgi-bin/easyhost.cgi

are you trying to take out the bushings that hold the posts for the bridge?

i wouldn't be drilling those, that's just asking for wander and needless damage, put your pivot post in there, then grip it sideways with some wire cutter plyers, now put something upde the plyer handles and use it as a levarage to pull the post and the bushing up. This is pretty much the same idea as that stew mac tool above, but you don't have to pay for it...

If that fails, find a small allen key you don't use any more, or that you have a couple of, then drill the smallest hole possible directly under post, then put your little allen key or metal rod in the whole and give it a couple of taps with the hammer and the pushing and post should pop right out the front of the guitar.

it used to be beautifull, by now, ti's lying around all over my room, as long as i am working on it... as said, the wilkinson tremolo will be replaced by a USA KAHLER i got at ebay for 36 €(!!) but it is in chrome, so i'll have to change my complete hardware

specs:

Cort stature gold

build in 1996

mighty mite pu's, humbucker replaced by a Seymour Duncan SH-6 distortion

agathis body

maple neck, rosewood fingerboard

and here the links to the pics:

http://fullservesite.com/slaughtha...ammer.../E-Gitarre-Body

http://fullservesite.com/slaughtha...ammer...itarre-Hals.JPG

http://fullservesite.com/slaughtha...ammer...-Gitarre-Saiten

should work now

just drilled the bushings out, the wood got more damaged than i thought... well, i tried to pull them out, but that didn't work. i'll post pics later

Brilliant ! :D I guess a trip to the baumarkt for some threaded rod, wing nut, etc etc would just be way too much of a chore. Or maybe your guitar realy needed to be reliced.

there is no quick, or even normal speed "changing tunings" on a floyd, for me at least it's a good half hour, gettting the nut lose, getting the strings in the tuning i want, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then finally locking the nut once the bridge is back where it should be, and guess what, if you're using new strings, you'll have to unlock the nut and doo that all over again once the strings strectch out in 5 minutes

dude, thats why you keep another guitar if you wanna play in a different tuning. You should keep your floyd in standard tuning most of the time, with they exeption of the dtuna... in my oppinion, having a floyd on ure ONLY electric guitar is retarted, and its a pain in the ass

. in my oppinion, having a floyd on ure ONLY electric guitar is retarted, and its a pain in the ass

umm..well then i guess i and many others are retarded because my only guitar for years was a floyd equipped sabre...and i never had problems retuning...but kevan has his invention which may help you out

there is no quick, or even normal speed "changing tunings" on a floyd, for me at least it's a good half hour, gettting the nut lose, getting the strings in the tuning i want, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then tuning again, then finally locking the nut once the bridge is back where it should be, and guess what, if you're using new strings, you'll have to unlock the nut and doo that all over again once the strings strectch out in 5 minutes

dude, thats why you keep another guitar if you wanna play in a different tuning. You should keep your floyd in standard tuning most of the time, with they exeption of the dtuna... in my oppinion, having a floyd on ure ONLY electric guitar is retarted, and its a pain in the ass

ummm..... i never said i didn't have 4 other electrics :D

afaik locking tuners are just so locked, that they don't turn when you accidently touch them or hit something with them.... so while using a tremolo they are usualy not turned, so that wouldn't change very much.

no, they dont lock the tuning keys, they lock the strings into the post using an internal cam locking mechanism, meaning the strings dont wrap around the posts which gives you your tuning stability....

thats my understanding of it anyway.....