PRS template

I bought a couple of PBass and JBass templates from the Ebay guy ....they were not that great in quality.....rough edges and some questionable measurements. The neck pocket template did not have the necessary taper that would make for a tight fit.

Guest AlexVDL

Hmmm I didn't saw this new site of his, very cool! The templates are lasercut, a bit rough on the edges, but very nice! :D

But just to correct BLS, I did not draw all the templates. I got one of the strat templates he drew, and I found out some measurements weren't 100% accurate. They're still usable for building bodies and necks from scratch, but I don't know if you can use them for building replacement parts. So if you're not happy with it don't blame me B)

The ones I drew are correct and are listed below:

- 50's Strat Template

- Contemporary Guitar Plus 22 Fret (PRS)

- Contemporary Guitar Plus 24 Fret (PRS)

- jem 777

- JPM

- JS 1000

- Firebird Neck Through

- Cloud Guitar as used by Prince in the 80's

I just took some measurements of a PRS at a local guitar shop. The guys at the store were really cool about it. Then I found a pic online that was pretty much headon and resized that pic to the propper height and width I got from my measurements. I seperated that pic into four sections (top left, top right, bot left, bot right) and printed out each sectioin and taped them back together. I then cut it out taped it onto a piece of plexi glass and cut out the plexiglass. I found the center line and started filling in the position of the cavities. I have a bunch of measurements from a prs if you want them.

Hi,

I'm the ebay guy.

I am fortunate to have some drawings from Alex VDL which are very accurate if you are building exact replica of a particular model. Some of the other drawings are made for building a guitar from scratch and may or may not be compatible with other models.

I had issues with rough edges with my new laser cutter due to file compatibility. That is fixed now and I assure you that the templates are as smooth as a baby's butt!

Happy Guitar Building!

My Webpage

Guest AlexVDL

Welcome to the forum Ronny B)

And congrats with the new site, its looks great!

@Guitarfrenzy: yes they are lasercut (computerguided), so they are 100% exactly cut like the CAD drawings. The plywood template material is light, but very strong.

Ronny is a trustworthy person so don't be scared he wont scam you :D

I just took some measurements of a PRS at a local guitar shop.  The guys at the store were really cool about it.  Then I found a pic online that was pretty much headon and resized that pic to the propper height and width I got from my measurements.  I seperated that pic into four sections (top left, top right, bot left, bot right) and printed out each sectioin and taped them back together.  I then cut it out taped it onto a piece of plexi glass and cut out the plexiglass.  I found the center line and started filling in the position of the cavities.  I have a bunch of measurements from a prs if you want them.

I did the same thing. I used MSPaint and reversed the colors on the pic and had a nice outline. It works really well.

We'll keep it here for now, but I'll officially "mention" it to Ronny:

We'd love to have you as a vendor on the site. It's well worth the few bucks, and this Forum has the potential to bring you LOTS of business. Feel free to ask any of the other vendors here.

Please contact Brian (site owner/admin) for more information.

• 1 year later...
Guest AlexVDL

If you want a perfect fit I think that money is a small amount compared to the whole guitar you're about to build. Clean routes and perfect fits are well worth the money IMO. Ever tried making templates by hand? It's a lot of work. 11 bucks shipping isn't much either because you get big heavy templates, not thin light weight plywood that will bend over time.

A stewmac neck pocket template is already 22 bucks. A tremolo cavity template too, so is the tremolo spring cavity template. The pickup templates are 18 bucks etc. Add all those prices up, and you will never get a cheaper price then the ones from Guitarbuildingtemplates. So yeah, IMO it's worth the money :D