What wood for one piece necks?

I am just starting out building so I figure I should try and stock up on woods. I have been working with hard maple for necks and have liked it but I am curious as to what else is available for making one piece necks. By one piece I mean neck with seperate fingerboard. I may try a laminate neck down the road but I have very few tools at this point and cutting the neck out of a single piece works best for me at this point. Anyway, Warmoth has a whole list of woods used for necks, which of these have you guys had experience with and what do you like to use?

Bocote

Bubinga

Canary

Cocobolo

Goncalo Alves

Koa

Limba

Padouk

Pau Ferro

Walnut

Ziricote

Wenge

Hi Jay,

Another question that you need to ask is: What type of guitar/what kind of sound are you looking for? Also, do you want 1/4 sawn necks? If the wood is not 1/4 sawn, are you going to worry about stability, and if so what are going to do about it? :DB):D

Never thought there were so many things to think about, did you?

Take care, and take pictures.

Guitar Ed

Well, ideally I would look for 1/4 sawn. If I had a piece that was flatsawn I would probably use some carbon fiber rods. Im bassically building bolt on neck guitars. I will try glued in necks soon. I play mainly punk/rock so a gritty bridge pickup sound is what Im going for overall but I by no way want to limit my options for building.

The reason I prefer maple over alot of the other woods is because you don't have to do the dreaded grain filling. I love Mahogany just as well as the next person, but you have an extra step finishing the wood that I'd rather not have. What are some other woods mentioned that doesn't need a grain filler? That's what I'd be more interested in.. lol

cocobolo should be a good choice, it is very attractive and very strong- yet it is waxy so use naptha before glueing it. I am going to use it for the f board of a fretless bass. I imagine the tone will be pretty close to a ebony board, maybe a bit less bright. due to its waxiness finishing it may be tricky- as sanding it is- use a sraper for final smoothing- but I prefer natural finishes anways- good ol' boiled linseed oil, tung oil, and polyeurathane mixed together.- oh yeah watch out it is rather toxic (its dust at least), so take necessary precautions.

Peace,

RYan

The reason I prefer maple over alot of the other woods is because you don't have to do the dreaded grain filling. I love Mahogany just as well as the next person, but you have an extra step finishing the wood that I'd rather not have. What are some other woods mentioned that doesn't need a grain filler? That's what I'd be more interested in.. lol

no grainfiller is needed on bocote...it does have small pores but they are shallow and the finish stops them up quick....but like i said it really needs no finish,so no filler either...and it actually feels pretty slick naturally

I can get some bocote neck blanks if you want them. It's 7/8" after S2S (it's rough sawn now). Quartersawn and kiln dried. StewMac's bolt on blanks are 13/16" x 4" x 27". I guess that'll make mine 7/8" x 27" x ?. Not sure how wide to make it. 3" should cut it easily for the neck, but the headstock will have to have ears added. With 3" I can get two blanks with my width, but at 4 inches, I can only get one, so the price would be significantly higher. I can get up to about 3.5" and still get two blanks out of the width (7"). Do you think 3.5 will be wide enough? If you're interested just reply and I'll try to get a price quote for you. I'll try to get a pic of this wood up. Very high quality stuff. Like I said quartersawn, and straight grain with no knots.

Ok, I have been looking around at wood and I have few questions. How would a neck out of only bloodwood be? Would it be a better to laminate it with something? How about paduak? I am hoping that I can get away without having to fork out $20 a neck for carbon rods as Im still kind of in the learning stage. I guess you get what you pay for though. Anyway, any comments are appreciated.

question,

how important is it that neck wood is quarter sawn compared to flat sawn?

as you probably know, finding a nice piece of exotic wood in a big enough piece for a neck-thru is hard enough. now finding that same thing in quarter sawn is either rare or its gonna cost some serious $$$.

could you just laminate a hard piece of wood in, and use Carbon fiber rods and be safe?

thx

t

i just kinda skimmed through this, so i dont know if someones already mentioned it, but cocobolo is very dangerous- the dust is like poison ivy, and if you inhale it, its bye bye luthier

not to mention that its pretty heavy too, but it is very beautiful

i made my first neck out of honduran mahogony, i love the color and feel of it, its also very light let me look for some pics...