Stairstep To Heaven

Here ya go...Stairstep Quilted Teleblaster

BTW, this is not the piece of wood I showed a month or two ago, that's still not on anything yet, this was another piece I've had around for a year or two I finally had cut up. Pics are just the body spritzed w/ water.

Binding ledge has already been cut.

How long was it? Yup, 16 inches, 'just' enough for a Tele, and not much else. B)

Teles freakin' rule. :D

Body%20Left.jpg

Body%20Right.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About that binding:

DON'T DO IT! For the love of wood, don't! It looks really cool just as it is, with the binding ledge itself accenting the shape. Hit it with some sandpaper to make the edges slightly less sharp if anything, but PLEASE don't wrap that wood in plastic!!! B):D:D:D:D

Thanks!

The body is 1-piece Poplar, and chambered (3), with rear tummy route. :D

I set it up so the rear route and the chambers didn't clash and cause problems.

The binding will be b/w/b/w/pearl I think. I have some pearl binding strips left over from the Koa guitar.

It's going to be some kind of very colorful top which ends at the binding, then the rest will be lightly tinted, I want all the flow lines and grain of the Poplar to show thru.

This is why I didn't bind the back too, I wanted the naturalness of the 1-piece to be seen.

I honestly haven't decided wht color it will be yet. :D

Here's a pic of the chambers. I hadn't quite finished it yet, the right-side chamber wound up extending a bit further than the pic shows. The other two are connected by a channel as you can see in the pic, the tummy route runs close, but doesn't hit it. I call those the Jimi and Stevie chambers. B):D:D

It's very bright out, the rear shot is not realistic, the camera is whacky cuz the sun, but you get the idea.

Chambers.jpg

Rear.jpg

Here's mo'.

Now the dilemma: the weather has completely sucked around here for weeks on end. Normally, I would let this dry overnight and shoot it tomorrow, but I need 3 coats on it to be able to move ahead with the binding (can do that indoors if weather is bad)...so do I have patience and wait, or take my chances and break out the lac?

It's been sitting in direct sunlight for about an hour, I got about 2, maybe 3 hours of sunlight left, and I might see rain for the next three weeks if the past month is any barometer......hmmmmmmm...

OH YEAH, WE'RE SHOOTIN' BABY! :DB):D

Sand%20Back-1.jpg

Sand%20Back-2.jpg

Blue-2.jpg

Blue-1.jpg

wow, that is awsome work, you made a good choice with the blue. That quilt is like jumping out at me. At parts it looks like its a carved top. Could you explain the process on what you did, for myself and others that would like to produce the same finish? Once again GREAT job Drak :D

Sure, no problem-o.

1) Flat sand with a hard backer block (read: scrap piece of wood, not a rubber pad) w/ 220 grit until it is perfectly smooth.

2) Apply your first color. I use Solar Lux black. Wipe on, let dry.

3) Sand it back using the same hard backer block and 220 until the amount of black you want is left in the grain.

4) Apply the color of your choice.

5) Finish.

That's it in a nutshell. You have to start off with some really fine wood, or it doesn't come off too well.

5 coats of lac on as of now! :D