Stairstep To Heaven

Thanks everyone. :D

Thats just....unexplicable....the color choice is unreal, because well, it just happens to look like a photograph of water superimposed on your guitar there....

I did add a few drops of yellow into my blue to achieve sort of a 'sea blue' effect. Not so much that it's really noticable, but enough to 'lean' the blue towards green a 'bit'.

Did I notice some spalting and a couple of voids down near the bottom? How'd you deal with filling 'em?

Well, it's a small bit of burl I think, not spalt, so it's not soft. There's 2 tiny holes I'll just drop-fill w/ CA glue later on.

holy crap, that looks good. adn it actually does look like a staristep to heaven, the bottom part looks like there's fire and people walking around in pain, and the top part looks lighter like its heaven, Yin and Yang i say

Dude, you think like I do! ...If you see that in this, I got one coming you'll freak over!

Damn. I leave youalone for 2 days and here we are!  Nice work

The weather has sucked soooooooooooo bad around here for the past month I was on guitar overload, I was about ready to explode, hehehe. This body was a raw body in the morning, just cut to shape and neck pocket had been routed, that was it. I started at 8:30 in the morning and blew thru the whole thing in this order:

1) drew the bridge in place

2) centerline thru the bridge pkp continued gives me my first pot placement

3) 1 3/4" apart for the two following

4) split the distance between them in half to give me the two below

5) the 5-way follows the same angle as the relationship between the forward top pot and forward bottom pot

6) drilled all of those out

7) routed the bridge and neck pkps then drilled the 6 string holes 1/2-way thru (I'll finish that up from the backside later on)

8) routed the rear 'easy access' neck cutaway

9) drilled the connector hole from the neck all the way thru to the bridge pkp hole for the pkp wires and then from the bridge pkp hole to the control cavity

10) drilled the input jack hole w/ my 7/8" forstner bit

11) marked my strap button placements with a centerpunch

12) routed the binding ledge on the front

13) routed the roundover edge on the rear

14) cut the rear tummy route in the back

15) flat-sanded the body

16) applied Behlen Solar Lux Black, let dry 15 minutes (in the hot sun)

17) sanded back, constantly blowing the work off with compressed air as I went along.

18) mixed up my colors, water-based blue from Stew-Mac, 3 drops of metallic blue from Stew-Mac, and about 12 drops of Solar Lux Lemon Yellow, then applied the colors wiped on quickly.

19) let that dry 1 hour in the hot sun

20) broke out the lac and shot that muthu. B)

I really didn't think I would wind up being able to apply any finish, that made it a great day. :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wet the living crap out of the board, sandwich it between 2 harder boards, clamp it for a week or so, you can get it straightened back out.

If it's warped bad, you might have to apply a little extra pressure each day, not try and kill it flat right off the bat. Good luck! :D

PS, boards warp that have uneven surfaces, so sand each surface until they're even.

Like, if one side is rough-sawn, and the other side is planed, that will warp boards.

And sometimes they warp as soon as you resaw them in half. You can try to straighten those out too, but still try to maintain even surfaces on both sides. I.e., sand both sides w/ same grit until they're even.

Please explain the circumstances of the warping, did it happen after they sliced it, or it has warped on you over time...

dude those knots at the bottom look like frikking faces!!!, spiffy. the color scheme really brings it out

Yeah, it's exactly that kind of stuff I love about wood, the very things the 'big guys' would discard as imperfect second pieces, those things to me are what give individual pieces their 'character'.

when you said you added metallic blue dye, did that actually help give it a bit of a metallic sheen

No. It's just another type of dye, like waterbase and alcohol base, metallic base. B)

I don't see any type of metallic sheen anyhoo... :D:D

I think the binding is really gonna set this thing off.

Yeah, it's exactly that kind of stuff I love about wood, the very things the 'big guys' would discard as imperfect second pieces, those things to me are what give individual pieces their 'character'.

Amen to that. The best wood is the stuff that isnt just nicely figured, but uniqely figured.

PS. How much is in that $ wise?

That has to be the most unique figure I've ever seen in a piece of wood. Absolutely beautiful. The only thing I can think of that comes close was one I saw with a top made from redwood, and that can't even hold a candle to this. It's sad to think this probably would be considered a castoff piece because of the "knotholes" near the bottom. What color binding are you planning on using?

Thanks again to -everyone- for the real nice words. B)

About the wood, to be honest, I see wood this nice go by pretty much every day on e-Bay, there's a truckload of beautiful wood out there waiting to be snapped up.

I did get this piece from my local guy a few years ago, I don't remember the price, but it was probably $40.00.

See how it's blue, but not 'true' blue, but not aquamarine blue either?

I like mixing colors like that. :D

It's not really 'this' but not really 'that' either...that's where the few drops of yellow came in, to slightly offset the true blue color and slightly lean it towards green, which I call sea blue, or an aquamarine blue.

When I burst the edge, it will be with the metallic blue mixed as a shader coat, that metallic blue is a really gorgeous blue when mixed as a shader coat.

I think that before everyone posts message about how to build a guitar, they should have to look at your piece and say, can I make something close to that...

Nice Work, its amazing to see what the big guitar houses pass on. Character counts.

look at what some of the larger houses passed on...

quilted.jpg

oh yea I paid 20 bucks for this billet... got 3 sets from it

Yeah, it won't be done until Oct. /Nov. B)

OK, this is what it's going to look like:

You see, on this one below, I was still working out the modified Tele control layout, and after it was done, I found myself unhappy with the location of the 5-way, out past the pots. I have now found the combination I like, the 5 pots and the 5-way out in front, shown in the one I'm building now.

So I stripped the top and bottom off of this one, it's getting new top and bottom presently, and the one I'm making now is kind of to take it's place...the same 'look' as these pics below of the old one...blue Tele w/ binding, yellow Maple neck thang. The neck you see in these pics is the neck that will be on the new one. The pics don't show it really well, but it's quite heavily birded and very pretty.

Get the idea? :D

The one now is sort of a replacement for this one below lost to the sands of time, fed to the Wall of Death :D :

Blue%20Flame-1.jpg

Blue%20Flame-2.jpg

Blue%20Flame-3.jpg

Yeah, it was a cool guitar body until I stuck the 5-way in a stupid place...I thought that one over for awhile before I killed it off, I really liked it. :D

But wait 'till you see what I'm putting on the top of that one now.

Wood is so cool, there's always more wood out there, hehehe... B)

You can see the 5-way location best in the top pic, you can make out the sliver slit out past the pots, compare that to what's going on now, I very much prefer the combination I came up with now, I can 'feel' it in my guts that it's right. I never felt that way about this one, it always bothered me.