Les Paul in progress...

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after sanding the top to 800 grit I started to apply the burst. I was pretty nervous about this, it's my third try, my first on a real guitar, and I was applying stain direct to the wood, so any cockups would mean hours of sanding...

But :D

77_sunburst01.jpg

That's 3 passes with a fairly weak amber, and a couple of passes of the red burst. I love the look, but I need to darken the edges more, to hide my tearout patch, and because the red looks a bit weak in very bright light.

Sooo, rather than risk going too dark with the direct staining, I shot a couple of coats of clear Rustins. I plan to do the rest of the burst over these coats, either spraying the dye directly, or with dilute Oxford PSL (waterbased laquer) as a binder if neat doesn't work. I have a brown dye which is compatible with Rustins for the final brown border, but I'll be experimenting for the rest of the red...

Here's the guitar after the clear laquer, see how it looks much lighter/darker depending on the angle you view it from...

78_sunburst02.jpg

To route the deeper ears I slip an insert into the route, and run the bearing against the insert and the sides of the route until the ears are at full depth. There's a good pic of this kind of insert at Derek's website.

Since I'm new here I don't know how to find Derek or his site. I would like to see the insert find out more about routing humbuckers for my project.

If someone could help me get to Derek's site I'd be greatful.

I'm honored :D

i beleive he was refering to the template i made for routing a 7 string floyd, The little bar in the main recessing part there just pops in and out (double stick tape).

Althought it never dawned on me to make one for pickup ears, i've just been doing it by hand all this time!!! lol good thinking setch!

tremrout-template-04.jpg

never, and i mean never ruin a LP with putting in a floyd rose. I love floyd roses and i love LP's, but  the 2 never go with each other.

Some guys used to love Floyded Lps. I Think the Skid Row guys had one strung with 10's and if it was what I heard on some recordings, it sounded pretty good (I'm flashing back to my metal days, although maybe I'd hate the sound of it now).

Neal Schon has been using floyded pauls for quite a few years now. Not just 1 paul, I've seen him play at least a few different floyded pauls.

http://www.studioclub.com/gibsonjourney.jpg

And don't worry, I don't think anyone is suggesting that Setch install a floyd.

they ruin the guitar. Physically. This one guy put a floyd rose inside his 2000 dollar LP. He cut a huge hole in the guitar and lowered te value to 1500 dollars.

if i ever build an lp or an explorer,it WILL have a trem...possibly a kahler,most likely a floyd...

so i guess you will just have to get over your prejudice :D

Any time you mod a guitar from a standard model line to a custom (like sticking in a Floyd) you risk decreasing the value. If you want the LP tone with a Floyd, put in a Floyd. It's that much more valuable to you while you play it, and you'll just have to sell it to someone who wants a Floyded LP. Value is determined by what it's worth to the customer. :D

they ruin the guitar. Physically. This one guy put a floyd rose inside his 2000 dollar LP. He cut a huge hole in the guitar and lowered te value to 1500 dollars.

if i ever build an lp or an explorer,it WILL have a trem...possibly a kahler,most likely a floyd...

Wes, have you see the gGothic Epiphiones, both the LP and Explorer come with Floyds, I know you don't like them much, but if there's a Floyd, there can be a Kahler!!

Explorer

LesPaul

V

"SG G-400" thingy

Any time you mod a guitar from a standard model line to a custom (like sticking in a Floyd) you risk decreasing the value. If you want the LP tone with a Floyd, put in a Floyd. It's that much more valuable to you while you play it, and you'll just have to sell it to someone who wants a Floyded LP. Value is determined by what it's worth to the customer. :D

You are right on this, but I will go a ncustom anything... I do it because I like it that way, If I was planning on selling it later, I wouldn't even play it B) , because that will decrease the value, I thing it's a preference thing, I like tremolos, but I can't handle them well, so I buy Solid Tails... But if I liked explorer and they were not made with Floyds, I will surely put one in it...

thats customized by the site. I checked epiphone.com and their goths dont have a tremelo at all except for the G-400 Extreme FR. Everything else in goth is a non tremelo guitar. I like the

Value is determined by what it's worth to the customer.

i think im going to use that line. Yeah that is true but when talking about mass production there is a difference. Its the apraisals price usually. Plus its worth is determind by the customer, well i say a strat American series should be 200 but its more like 2000 to buy

so i guess you will just have to get over your prejudice B)

a Kahler would be a fine choice :D

thats customized by the site. I checked epiphone.com and their goths dont have a tremelo at all except for the G-400 Extreme FR. Everything else in goth is a non tremelo guitar. I like the

Value is determined by what it's worth to the customer.

i think im going to use that line. Yeah that is true but when talking about mass production there is a difference. Its the apraisals price usually. Plus its worth is determind by the customer, well i say a strat American series should be 200 but its more like 2000 to buy

They do not appear in the Epi site, but Musicians Friend does not customize guitars, especially at that price Range...

so i guess you will just have to get over your prejudice B)

a Kahler would be a fine choice :D

I'm gonna put a speedloader on my LP. And I wont bother routing. Guess how.

Then it would be a Wes Paul