Do you consider yourself talented?

Curtis P

do you concider yourself talented?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

bass, yes. i've been studying hardcore since i picked one up, practice at least 3-4 hours a day, and this is coming from a guy who learned 3 new instruments (baritone, tuba, french horn) in a week, so i know i can pick things up quick.

on guitar, i'm a better player than most of my friends, but i have problems when i'm reading music (only on guitar, though...it's weird. same w/ piano) so i can't further my skill a whole lot. i'm not interested in shredding or anything like that, i'm a jazzer, so it's really hard to get anywhere if you have problems reading.

all my other instruments, yes. i'm the same way about them. trombone, baritone, tuba, and trumpet i've been playing for between 5 years (trumpet) to 12 years (trombone) and i'm only 19. they're just a part of my life, and i've never dedicated this amount of time to anything else so far in my life. other than breathing and not dying, that is...

i put semi-talented. when i learn the theory of any kind of aspect, i can become skilled at whatever it is within a week. now i dont master it, but i do get pretty good. if i dont understand what im doing, then i cant get it at all... like scales and improv.. it confuses the hell out of me, nobody can give me a good lesson to clarify just what has to happen. so i cant solo at all. though as soon as i understand it a little, ill become at least somewhat good. chordes was explained to me well, and im pretty good with it, good enough to make a country song or decipher some country, or whatever kind of emo style music im more prone to listening to. emo and chordes make good mixes =D plus my girlfriend loves me for it. your all like "yea yea chordes, anyone can chorde their way out of a paper bag", but obviously im not going to talk in excessive amounts on all my skills and weaknesses like ive been doing! i think ill stress the weakness part... solo, shredding, and funk all seem to kill me. funk? yea, somethin about what i do when i try to funk out makes it suck. strength... chordes, following a bass with chordes and movable chordes? i call em power chordes, riffs, timings, finger pickin (like "every breath you take", "classical gas", "blackbird", "good ridance"), uhh... keepin a rhythm in a nutshell.

EDIT: ill mention that ive only been around playing music for 10 months.. before that i never had a lick of music in my life other than the cd's i owned and didnt understand.

Hard question.

People tell me I'm an awesome bass player, and yes, I think I'm pretty good in the style I like to play (Who/Entwistle type of thing, like). I've found my own route to getting the kinds of technique-based playing Entwistle did, with a UK New Wave slant on it, with a bit of Mc'Cartney melodic stuff chucked in. I think I sound like me.

trouble is, I earn money playing 6 strings and singing!

On this, people again tell me I'm good - I just don't hear it myself!

i look at allen holdsworth and metheny and teh way they just basically tell the listener, screw this i'm doing it my way. and go on to a whole tone solo over some dominant 7 chord. its just too deep. sometimes when i listen to those wide fu**** intervals in holdsworths solos i just fall in and just keep going. no matter HOW much theory i study its just hard to fathom whats next. allan holdsworth thinks he sucks. and he hates music. it drives me mad. it also depemds on what genre of music you play.

i.e punk rock its all about the lyrics. it all sounds the same.

fusion... there are no limits. you can't reach the end of the pit. you just have to keep going

A particularly hard question to answer without seeming egotistical. I consider myself to be talented as a musician, in as much as I play guitar, drums (in a semi-pro band), piano, violin and am also a classically trained flautist (I play the flute, duh). I have passed several high grade exams on more than one instrument and music theory. However, when it comes down to it, my skill as a guitarist (after 12 years of playing) is still far short of exceptional. I have in no way mastered the techniques required to be a Paul Gilbert or Satch and am stuck in the 'one pentatonic fits all' category.

Unlike Coen, I do actually suck. But the other week I made a didjaredo (sp?) make the right noise first time I had a go. It's not much but it's all I've got to cling on to.

Used to play drums (about 10 years ago) and had a go on them the other week too. I sucked at that more than I used to :D .

Basically, I just suck at music.

bass, yes. i've been studying hardcore since i picked one up, practice at least 3-4 hours a day, and this is coming from a guy who learned 3 new instruments (baritone, tuba, french horn) in a week, so i know i can pick things up quick.

It's nice to meet another Tuba player here! I like to think that I am talented. I started playing tuba 3 years ago and last year I was probably the best tubist in my area and probably one of the best in the state.

As for bass, I've been playing for 4 years. I dunno if I am talented or not but I am better on bass than the guitar players I used to jam with were on guitar. I think a lot of my confidence problem on bass is that I can't find my tone. I always think my tone sucks.

• 2 weeks later...