Not Your Momma's Strat......

Just try to get some bubblewrap under the guitar at all times.....

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it is laying on some 1" thick foam rubber in those first picks. It is very non-skid so the old girl won't slide off when she gets slippery again.....but it was a tough choice of whether to put it on the bench or around the base of it.

SR

Resprayed and cured 72 hours. Oddly enough that is how much time the Behlen's can says to let it cure before leveling and buffing. I think i'll wait a bit more than that. On the other hand if you consider the first spray job as a serious pore filling, I could likely get away with finishing it earlier than normal.If the surface it is shrinking back too is perfectly smooth, the shrinking is not going to expose anything .

IMG_2933.JPG

I do feel that knocking down the outer layer helps the nitro to outgas more quickly....not to mention that since yu removed a little, there is less to outgas.

IMG_2934.JPG

First I re-leveled and crowned the frets to fix the impression my concrete floor made on them.

IMG_2938.JPG

And once that was done and my headstock cap is done as well, I went ahead and made a nut. I used my spacer I made last year to help get parallel slots that have equal spacing between them.

IMG_2941.JPG

And back to hanging around for another week......

SR

And once that was done and my headstock cap is done as well, I went ahead and made a nut. I used my spacer I made last year to help get parallel slots that have equal spacing between them.

IMG_2941_zpsd137e6ec.jpg

SR

So simple...so brilliant

On 10/14/2013 at 8:22 PM, HCRoadie said:
On 10/13/2013 at 5:23 PM, ScottR said:

IMG_2941.JPG

SR

So simple...so brilliant

It truly is simple. Just do the math to get the width of your spacing (I can detail that if anyone so desires), cut your spacer to that width and cut a slot the width of your nut in the bottom to hold it square.

On 10/15/2013 at 7:12 AM, pan_kara said:

Hey Scott, is there a particular reason for trying to NOT get any nitro into the pickup cavities? That and the electronics cavity. I never worried about this in the past..

For the most part I want the nitro to go into the cavities at least on the edges, in particular for direct mount pickups where the edge of the cavity will be visible. Edges are so easy to sand through when leveling so I want as much there as I can get. If your fit is tight, you cannot allow to much on the inside edges lest you end up with a too tight fit, but you want enough that the visible part blends with the surface finish.

In this particular guitar though, I'm going to have recessed rings. So I'll have exposed edges and rings. I covered the ledge of the recess so that the rings will still sit at the depth I inset them to and the surface I will mount them to will stay clean and level.

IMG_2795_zps7fe4a2ce.jpg

SR

• Like 1

Ok, if this is because of the rings then I understand. thanks!

I have to agree with HCRoadie that the nut slotting idea of yours is fantastic in its simplicity. I needed to look at this a second time to understand that :P

Good because the day when I'll be cutting a nut from scratch is approaching..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-8-Piece-Nut-Slotting-File-Set-MADE-JAPAN-LT-1020-000-/360605536701?pt=Guitar_Accessories

http://www.allparts.com/LT-1020-000-Nut-File-Set_p_2118.html

Yeah, what RAD said. I was thinking I got mine from StewMac or lmii a few years back, but I don't see them at either of those sites now. I also thought they were badged as Gotoh when I got them. Hell, I don't trust my memory much any more so who knows where I got them. I rarely get anything from Allparts though, their list prices are often the highest of the three places I mentioned.

SR

Lookin good Scott, but your taking as long as me to get this one finished <_<

Yeah.

I find the process of working on this thing sooooo enjoyable, I keep finding ways to make it go on longer, so the fun never ends.

Sheesh.

SR

I'll remind you of this next time the damned thing throws itself on the floor in a tantrum...

Oh good, I'm truly having trouble remembering it. I have to keep repeating it to myself every time I sit down and work on it....... :P

.......this is fun.......this is fun......this is fun.....this is..........this...............

SR

• Like 1

Note to self: Figure out how to not take pictures of dust on shiny surfaces before the final shots.

SR

Microfibre cloths, antistatic cloths. They sell them over here as screen cloths for cleaning your TV of dust. I find they work great.

Love the finish man, that thing is reflecting so much sun back its gona contribute to global cooling :D

Note to self: Figure out how to not take pictures of dust on shiny surfaces before the final shots.

SR

Microfibre cloths, antistatic cloths. They sell them over here as screen cloths for cleaning your TV of dust. I find they work great.

Love the finish man, that thing is reflecting so much sun back its gona contribute to global cooling :D

Paulie, those shots were taken in full shade. You can't even see it in full sunlight. <_<

Actually, there are a couple of places around the bridge I may work on some more next weekend. At the right angle I can see a few highly polished grit scratches that I missed.

Thanks Crazy and K.

I have a micro fibre cloth that I will use for sure....and anti static may be required too. I don't even see the dust till I see the pics. I was thinking about a tack cloth Luis, but wondered if it would leave any tracks from the sticky stuff that would need to be wiped down too.

SR