Unleashing the Mod from Hell

Funny, this place is getting "tight", while MIMF has gotten more "loose". I almost fainted when I was reading a thread there earlier and people were posting the prices of things in the thread and it wasn't deleted.

So, what's the point of getting all "nun with a ruler" -like around here ? You're planning on asking companies to put ads here, right ?

Doesn't matter to me. In fact, it would be a help if forums become less entertaining. I'll concentrate more on staying in the shop and letting this keyboard collect more dust.

I can understand some kind of "change" being sought ( out of frustration, maybe). I get tired of repeating the limited knowledge I have over and over.

But that's how internet forums work. Old blood fades away, new blood takes over.

This isn't a rant. Don't take it real serious, since I don't know what anybody's motives are.

Of course, the forum owner has a right to make changes to make the project more interesting for himself and/or make it work better for his interests.

I know without a doubt, Brian never used this forum to be a control freak.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me? A nun with a ruler? That's a little plain, don't you think? LOL

We're not looking for company ads, or any other such motives. It was just time to take the garbage out, sweep up, and put on a fresh coat of paint. Maintenance more than anything else.

We're not getting tighter; we're getting focused.

I even make all my tutorial post now on my webpage first and just give a link so that there will be no need to clean up anything later. lol.. Then all the tutorial is in one place and comments in another. It is much cleaner this way, thanks Daveq for the suggestion. The only problem for other people is that they might not have a web page, so.. not so sure what's the best way for them. But, I'm all for progress!!! Keep it up Kevan....

That's what I want to see!!!

This is a site devoted to guitar building, not who's got the hottest avatar (example not meant to pick on anyone)

When I login and most of the new posts on any given day have nothing to do with guitar building I tend to log right back out because I don't want to bother weeding through all that nonsense to get to the real questions.

Now I'm all for having a little fun but there has to be a limit to the amount of useless garbage posted. I mean, if people want to trash each other, debate who's Mom is hotter :D or whatever, then they should get an AOL account and hang out in the chat rooms

Just got back from holiday and from what I've read of this thread (not all of it as it's very loooong) it all sounds good to me.

Basically though, it's Brians site and he can do what he want's with it. If he want's to make it a whos avatar is hottest site then that's up to him and none of my business B) I'm glad he's chosen the guitar route though :D

This is a site devoted to guitar building, not who's got the hottest avatar (example not meant to pick on anyone)

When I login and most of the new posts on any given day have nothing to do with guitar building I tend to log right back out because I don't want to bother weeding through all that nonsense to get to the real questions.

I totally agree. I hate going through countless useless threads just to find maybe a thread or two that actually has some good information. PG's next phase looks to be a very good one. The FAQ will help out alot. Also, getting rid of the post count all together is a great idea, simply because people won't have a reason to post useless stuff anymore, as there is nothing to gain from it. I've actually noticed that PG has toned down alot, and has had some great guitar discussions lately. I can't wait to see how things are when all the rules are in place.

congrats on the promtion Kevan

even though some of it was from me, I am looking forward to having this site cleaned up and really proffesional looking!!

so, if you will excuse me, I gotta focuse on my playing skills :D

Curtis

Scott Rosenberger Posted on Aug 17 2004, 06:57 AM

QUOTE (Kevan @ Aug 16 2004, 06:07 PM)

I also have been absent on posting for a while. I have turned into a lurker and even that has been getting less and less. I am very glad to see this "focus" happening. I'm sure you all will do a great job and I hope to be a more active part of the forum.

Hello eveyone,

I'm fairly new here, and didn't have time to read the whole thread...so this may very well have already been said, and may not be my place to say, however...

First, congratulations Kevin for the promotion :D

Secondly, my understanding of the forum was a discussion on guitars..I take the in progress section as being watching people make a guitar and giving feedback comments...If it's worth keeping, then it's moved to the tutorial section of the main site...It is a bit annoying having so many comments throughout, but it's kind of a "real time" thing...makes people interact, etc, otherwise, there doesn't seem much point in a forum, might as well just email brian and some other the questions and them have them made into tutorials on the main site..

In regards to the other "junk" on the site...I figured that's what the rant section was for..To keep it away from everything else that's serious. It's down the bottom and you never have to go to it if you don't want to...it seems fairly popular anyway. Unless it's taking up way too much space, in which case - yes it's a guitar building forum and that's the main priority of the site.

I don't like MIMF for the simple fact that they are OVER THE TOP...I felt like i was in the army or something, and stupid evertime i asked a question...And there site isn't exaclty easy to navigate...I come here heaps more, because of the relaxed but controlled atmosphere...

Having said that though - a bit more focus would be good for the forum I think...more appealing and more professional (as already said)

Just my comments....

thanks anyway for this amazing and wonderful resource...it's better than every book combined..

fiona

Don't tame it down too much...I like it being an open forum...and, although their annoying, the less informed can make us "experts" rethink the bounds of what a guitar should be and keep an audience for our endeavours.

That is...they help keep us from disappearing up our own f^&%k*&& A%&s^&'s

By the way that would be coloquial in OZ so don't ban me please...the courts recently ruled the f word not a swear word down here...true!

oh, and....how about dots....I love dots....

oh, and colors...so many to choose...love colors...oh, and...dots...oh and....colored dots...hmmmm....................................................................

Seriously though, it's been a godsend to find a site that has attracted so many interested in developing further this fabulous instrument/obsession, in what ever form it's made over...three cheers for project guitar!

N.B. no smilies B) oops, sorry :D errr B) , you know I'm kidding right? :D oh, come on, you can take a joke, can't you? :D Kevan :D don't sus.......nooo!!!.....kevan

Bicycle- thanks. Brian and I will talk it over and let you know what we come up with.

Blues- good to see you back man. I know you've got a bunch of cool info over there, so thanks for hangin' with us.

PSW- thank you for the formatting lesson. You done now? :-)

What we're trying NOT to do, is have the Forum become stuffy and un-fun. I have this feeling that the members of the RollsRoyce Forum can't party like we can.

In the last week or so, things have been going great. I've gotten a bunch of PM's about thread moving, title edits, potential tutorials, stuff to pin, etc. You guys have been fantastic in helping out. It's really appreciated, and I hope *you* like the changes that have started to happen with *your* forum.

Keep up the great work and we'll have a very pro site in no time.

I'd like to see all the smilies fired, and replaced with smilies with guitar building/repair experience.

Maybe it's asking too much, but I'd like a smilie that demonstrates a complete fret-job.

On a less serious note, I think the search function needs to be much more "in your face". Not some little button off to the side, but something you can't help but see before you post, like ' SEARCH FIRST ! '. It could be a button in a better location, a little bigger.

Forum colors... All the white helps to give me a migrane.

Hi,

this no swears thing sounds good to me,there may be some religious people in here that may take offense.

that pat on the back thing, maybe it would be better to PM that person to say how great you think their work is. Another thing is ,if you want someone to do work for you, then pm them with details about what you want,instead of a 75 reply thread( I posted in that thread to so this makes me also guilty).

Do we need a rant thread? probably not ,but a warning thread may be a nice thing(ebay seller xyz is a fraud or stuff like that)

Drak mentioned try to make things here good for adults and the kids that come here,I dont see that being managable because you will always have some to complain about something,its impossible to make everyone 100% happy.

This may make some of you mad ,but I think Brian shound make a $5 a year fee for being a member of this forum. 1. it helps pay for the server and bandwidth.

2. it will discourage troublemaker type ppl joining(ppl just mouthing off and giving other forum members a hard time).

It would be a great loss to the forum if we your to lose any of our VIP´s or expierenced builders, do to some ppl annoying them.

Getting rid of the post count is the smartest thing the forum could ever do (no more posting wars)

So I am running out of things to whine about, hope you all have a good weekend

This may make some of you mad ,but I think Brian shound make a $5 a year fee for being a member of this forum. 1. it helps pay for the server and bandwidth.

2. it will discourage troublemaker type ppl joining(ppl just mouthing off and giving other forum members a hard time).

Getting rid of the post count is the smartest thing the forum could ever do (no more posting wars)

I think some of us have spent hundreds of dollars on books and videos and have passed along plenty of the info here.

I just found out the other day, that if your post count gets to 2000 or something like that, you get special access to some files here. How nice. So some fools who posted pretty much nothing but crap now have access to special files, and some who try to post mainly helpful info, but don't even have 1000 posts can't see the info.

I think some of us have spent hundreds of dollars on books and videos and have passed along plenty of the info here.

I just found out the other day, that if your post count gets to 2000 or something like that, you get special access to some files here. How nice. So some fools who posted pretty much nothing but crap now have access to special files, and some who try to post mainly helpful info, but don't even have 1000 posts can't see the info.

haha.. I never thought about it like that, but your right. lol..

This is a very good example why Brian *asks* for donations, but DOES NOT require them in order to be a member here.

I just found out the other day, that if your post count gets to 2000 or something like that, you get special access to some files here.  How nice. So some fools who posted pretty much nothing but crap now have access to special files, and some who try to post mainly helpful info, but don't even have 1000 posts can't see the info.

Well, the only members here with 2000+ posts are:

westhemann

Brian

tsl602000

litchfield

Ki swordsman

weezerboy

canuckguitarist

AlexVDL

Curtis P

All are either Advanced Supporter, VIP, Moderator or Admin.

I'm not sure about the "2000 posts then you have access to everything", but I'll check on that. With the post count going bye-bye, this will obviously change.

The new rating system will be much more strict, and considerably harder to get into than hitting "Add Reply" 2001 times. It will also allow the new folks to see who does what exactly.

The real members here will like it. The post whores will hate it.

Just the way I like it. :D