Blues Guitars

hey fellas i havent been her long but every guitar iv seen{atleast built from scratch ones} have been almost identical to an exsiting body or looks like the devil himeslf chizeled the guitar out of chole with his nails and teeth. does anyone have a cool lookin blues guitar or atleast anything but metal. now dont get me wrong guys i love metal. and i understand that more metalheads are into going all out unstead of having a more humble design.. but if you guys have any pictures of homemade, more subtley designed guitars i would love to see them

Honestly, it's pretty tough to make a guitar nowadays that is both A.) original and B.) Subtle. You can only do so much with traditional guitar design, and that's a single or double cutaway. A design that fits your criteria is just going to be a variation on either of those themes.

Sorry, but it seems like you're asking for a design that is both original and traditional. I'm afraid with the way guitars have developed, you're not gonna find it.

i agree with you to an exstent. i understand what your saying and it is a very good point guitar has come a long way but i am just looking for some ideas that dont A look like a melting clock slavador doly painting or B look like saitins birth mark. it seems every one has a one off strat or a bc rich looking think. even if it is a little spacy im looking for ideas for a more contemporary lets say, style guitar. that i can say is unique and my own but you have to understand devil horns and blues clubs dont mix. i apreciate your reply. thanks any others?

oh wow skibum posted while i was repling. i like that alot. a lot less pointy and showy

it looks really good thanks

Edited by ripsrv

that i can say is unique and my own

you are looking for someone else to give you an idea that you can say is unique and your own?

get out a pencil and go to work on it yourself.it's more satisfying that way.out of all my guitars only one was modeled after another guitar.and that is just because i like the shape of the beast

No other guitar like this one. Its a basic hybrid, all Gibson style hardware and setup, stepped down fender style headstock w/ string trees but still 3/3 configuration. Body is a copy of the lower half of my Hagstrom III and then mirrored for double cutaway. Strat style input jack is on the centerline of the neckthru piece. Heart shape on upper pickguard (polished stainless) is access hole for truss rod adjustment.

mahogany0023tl.jpg

Edited by Southpa

yeah unique and my own. im not saying im gunna rip off someone else disign but it is alot easier if you have a couple of elements of diff. guitars to incorperate into it. i am lookin at like a jagstang type body. they are cool but it was no devil horns. just a non evil element and more unique than a strat. no i dont say hmm a jagstang was built for blues but it has some cool features i like

well, I don't quite have my pic yet... (cuz we're not done, me an my friend, yet) but, when I'll finish I can show you the mod-strat we did- to adjust to a southpaw thing, we cut the lower (for a right-handed) horn and sanded it to a smooth rectangular shape and sliced the upper horn down toward the contour; made for a very non-pointy, strat-contoured hornless blues machine (suited for rock as well with a hot rail, a single, and a bucker in the bridge!)... my guitar teacher (a blues-rock only kinda guy) likes it...

I'll see if I can get a pic

Yeah, I agree with you...I don't understand why so many people here are basically sticking to clone designs. Even the 'metal' guitars all end up looking the same.

Of course, there's only so far you can go. The guitar has to be playable...

I'm close to finishing my first Bocaster...I decided to go back to the source for this one ---using the Telecaster (the first electric) and merging that into a Bo Diddley (the first rock guitarist) rectangle...

check this out. It's one i'm building. The only difference is that I'm going to put a cocobolo stock and cocobolo headstock (it has a cocobolo neck) IT's a hollow body design. With some REALLY original f-holes (the grass looking things) Doesent look like anything i've everseen. O and It's gonna have fanned frets. Wow bassmann.I justlooked at your pic and WOW. How did you make your strings black? thats a VERY nice bass

Edited by Godin SD

mahogany0023tl.jpg

That reminds me of an SG.

Heres a design i was playing with a while back. I was trying to get the lines to flow as smoothly as possible.

Another thing i do when im designing is to do variations of a guitar i like, or mix several guitars into one. See this Tele thing, i like tele's im just not to keen on the controls and scratch plate, so i added a strat elemnt in to the scratch plate, and the floyd is there 'cause it was always somthing ive wanted to see, a tele with a floyd.

perry very nice guitar i like that a lot. as for all this negative feed back i truely do not understand what is so hard to understand here...im not trying to be a jerk but can you not get my drift here? im looking for "ideas" ok ideas for my guitar... i garentee every guitar in this forums has some comon feature with another guitar. are u trying to tell me that no one has eve looked at another guitar for influences or ideas on how a curve should go? i mean wow perrys guitar was beautifull i like it alot but it has some fetures i can clearly so from other guitars. they are not the same exactyl but they sare common charecteristics with fenders jaguare. it has a pointy top left portion. and a very stout back end with that long sweeping curve. now truly im not trying to say i no more than you people or sound belittleing, im the new guy. but i dont get why you people are taking such offese to my wanted ideas for my own project. i want to draw my own out and do all the good "roughing her in" work that goes along with makeing it your guitar ans no one elses, but i want to gatehr ideas and get a base for what i do. you would not try to paint a picture of art gallery quality without having a long period of admireing painters before you and learning form what they do. i dont mean to sound so critical or start a flame war at all so please for give my comming of as harsh but i think you all mis understood what i was getting at and pehaps i mislead you so i may be at fault. please continue tho i love perrys guitar very unique in its own ways and not evil. it is a beautiful peice that anyone can look at and say that is cool to. thanks abunch for the post thus far!!

just a non evil element and more unique than a strat.

i resent the use of the word evil. i use a stratocaster and a gretsch to play evil music (black metal). not flashy, not evil. im sure some of the other fans of metal shapes use their pointy guitars to play music that is pretty conservative compared to what i play.

meegs i apologize for my use of the word evil...im trying really hard not to offend anyone, and picking my words as carefully as i can but i guess i let one get past me. i no its kinda steryotypical but it was the best way to describe it and let everyone no what i ment buy it. once again im not intentionally using it to bash metal, i love it just like the rest of you.

57_3.jpg

Hear's one you may like I found this one on ebay so it's not mine! B)

Hear's the back of the body.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZADOKGUITARS/26_3.jpg

Hear's the headstock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...RS/c5_12_sb.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! :D

PerryL, sweet guitar! Me like.

ripsrv, I think you got a lot of negativity because the way you made your observation about the types of guitars you've seen on this board. It sounded more like a criticism of those styles of guitars. Yes, there are a lot of pics and sketches of pointy guitars. I've called PG the cult of quilted maple. There are lots of Jems and a few thru-neck with contrasting laminations. You don't need to be a fan of every style to appreciate the creativity and craftsmanship that goes into the guitars. I was never into metal, so, a lot of the metal oriented guitars don't do it for me. My taste tends to run towards vintage and oddball.

Tradition is such a strong element in Blues... Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, Gibson semi-hollows, Gretsch. You really can't stray too far from convention. That kind of constrains innovation and uniqueness. But, there's a tradition of blues players making do with cheap instruments. Makers of cheap guitars have made a delirious array of oddly proportioned knock-offs and strange takes. There's a really cool site of Euro guitars (Ekos, Hagstroms, Vox, etc), www.fetishguitars.com.

If you haven't, you really need to check out Girl Brand Guitars to see what cool variations you can do with the humble Telecaster.

You mentioned the Jagstang. Tym Guitars does a take on the Jagstang that's recognizable, but, clearly different: the Vibratone.

For fresh, but, vintage flavored, check out Koll Glides, Reverend Guitars, and the Pagelli Beatmaster and Rockability.

A guitar I really, really like is S.B. MacDonald's resolectric. I like the way it looks like it's been hacked out of another guitar. I know you weren't looking for a resonator, but, it would make a cool blues guitar. A bridge p/u could be mounted on the coverplate.

Also think of an anonymous looking single cutaway (clearly not a Les Paul) along the lines of a Gretsch Duo Jet, a National Resolectric, or a Danelectro U-2. Get weird with the pickguard to make it completely unique.

I garentee every guitar in this forums has some comon feature with another guitar. are u trying to tell me that no one has eve looked at another guitar for influences or ideas on how a curve should go? i mean wow perrys guitar was beautifull i like it alot but it has some fetures i can clearly so from other guitars.

I have to say that I really don't understand the purpose of this post either. Alot of guitars have similar features because those features serve purposes. Upper/lower horns were designed to increase access to upper frets. The lines of the waist are there to make the guitar comfortable when sitting. If you look to another guitar for influences like you said you are just "copying" an existing design. I think that Perry's guitar is nice because it is different but still is going to be a playable design. Thats why it has recognisable similarites to other guitars, its a guitar! You could make a car with no doors, three tires, a joystick and make it out of cement and you would have a 'car' with all kinds of new features and design elements but was wothless as a car. I guess what I don't understand is what is going to make you happy design wise. You seem to want somthing unrecogniable as a guitar but subtle and tame. I'm honestly not trying to be harsh, I am just confused.

Im with Jay on this one, though anyone with a cement car should be shot :D just kidding, i see your point. You have to have influences with the guitars around you, because nobody can pull a guitar out their a$$ and make it work perfectly. The reason why there are patented designs and styles are because they work and we take those influences. What im trying to say is that while we are trying to make our original designs, we have the semi-original ones with guitar influences. Like perry's, its like a smaller jaguar body with cool curves too it and a different pickguard. Its just that we can pull off a new design right off the top of our heads. Everyone here I know would love that abilty but it takes time. So just wait to see something you like, and Im with GuitarMaestro saying make your own design, frustrating and most of the time akward looking but when you get it, its really rewarding. For the mean time, make variations of what you love. Like Drak makes the best telecasters I've seen in my life.

P.S. sorry if ive sounded incoherent and like a jerk, ive been playing videos games for hours with no sleep...insomnia sucks :D:DB)

Here's another link to add to Tirapop's excellent post (thanks for the tour of some really cool guitars!)

Eastwood

I had an Eastwood for a while (a Sidejack, I sold it because it had gold hardware and I wanted something with chrome...), the construction was pretty good.

Also, check out how far you can really go with guitar design:

Wild Wild Wild

It's because of guitars like these that I agree so much with the original post ---I mean, if you're going to build a guitar, why not build YOUR guitar?

Personally, I'd love a teardrop/phantom -inspired guitar...one of the projects I've lined up here will be perfect for that....I'm going to transform it into an 8-string semi-hollowbody...