Dream Theater

daveq

What's your opinion  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I have never listened to them before. I have heard Petruci's name all over but don't know squat about him. I decide to buy their 3 CD live from Bokuda (whatever the damn place is) and popped it in over the weekend.

I really thought that I'd be totally into them since I'm really big on effects, instrumentals,... After 2 CD's, I'm still searching for a reason to continue listening. The guys are obviously talented and there's no way in hell I could come close to what they do. It's just not for me I guess. The way the tempo/riffs keep changing every few seconds, the singers voice, .... all of that just doesn't agree with me. Maybe I should try a different CD from them? Are all of their songs "Structured" like that - where it's almost like a jazz band with distortion? Nothing against jazz, it's just when I want to rock, I don't want jazz thrown in, at least not to that degree.

I have the "A Night with Petruci and <the other guy>" also. I've only listened to the first two songs. That one does seem promising and I do intend to check it out in more detail soon.

Dream Theater is one of my favorite band. I am convinced that there is no better band in terms of sheer playing ability. Everyone of the members is a unmatched master on his instrument. I know no band that pulls of more demanding songs than DT with that kind of ease and tightness. What they deliver especially on the live at budokan cd/dvd is simply unhuman. That said the music is progressive. If you don't like progressive music with many key/rythm changes you won't like Dream Theater. However comapared to other prog bands Dream Theater writes great songs that non-musicians can enjoy as well. That said listening the live cd without knowing the songs could be the reason you find them to be unstructured or complex. The change the songs alot live and add extended solos and new parts, etc. not present on the studio recordings. But if you say the songs don't rock and are to jazzy than what do you think of "As I Am" or "In the name of God" from the CD you have? These songs rock without end in my opinion....They are from the latest album which is called "Train of Thought" and might fit your taste better....

Dream Theater is one of my favorite band. I am convinced that there is no better band in terms of sheer playing ability. Everyone of the members is a unmatched master on his instrument. I know no band that pulls of more demanding songs than DT with that kind of ease and tightness. What they deliver especially on the live at budokan cd/dvd is simply unhuman. That said the music is progressive. If you don't like progressive music with many key/rythm changes you won't like Dream Theater. However comapared to other prog bands Dream Theater writes great songs that non-musicians can enjoy as well. That said listening the live cd without knowing the songs could be the reason you find them to be unstructured or complex. The change the songs alot live and add extended solos and new parts, etc. not present on the studio recordings. But if you say the songs don't rock and are to jazzy than what do you think of "As I Am" or "In the name of God" from the CD you have? These songs rock without end in my opinion....They are from the latest album which is called "Train of Thought" and might fit your taste better....

i think opeth has em in talent, but they do kick ass all over the place.

I've heard only a few dream theater songs, they're very talented but i do not like the singer, he sounds like a sheep. Reminds me of Rush, amazing band, no boundaries, they all know how to use their instruments to their full potential, but Geddy Lee sounds like a female lol.

-Jamie

Edited by sepultura999

i think opeth has em in talent

Don't think so. Opeth are very talented as well and I like their music alot. However what is going on rythmically and especially harmonically in a Dream Theater song is a step more complex and on the guitar Petrucci is just insane. He is not only fast but what he plays is often so uncommon it's way harder to play than it sounds. Especially in terms of phrasing and soloing over odd meters.

Do you know their crazier instrumentals?

I've heard only a few dream theater songs, they're very talented but i do not like the singer, he sounds like a sheep.

I am no big fan of the singer as well. He is very good there is no doubt, but I just don't really like his style on the older albums. However with Train Of Though the vocals are quite different and I like them alot. Check out that album if the vocals where what stopped you from listening Dream Theater so far....

In what regards? Opeth is a very solid band with great musicians but putting them above DT in talent and ability is just wrong.

daveq - it seriously took some getting used to James' vocals for me but now i can't stop listening to them after .....almost a decade?

Check out the album "Awake" and you might have a change of heart. Then again, ya may not. If you're a fan of Petrucci's playing (like me) you might dig on Liquid Tension Experiment. It's a side band of Mike Portnoy that included Petrucci and other musicians. Solid instrumental music.

I have nothing but respect for John Petrucci and the rest of Dreamtheater, the singer included... but I just could never get into their songs. I think Change of Seasons is a masterpeice and there are a few other songs I enjoy but most of the time their songs just didnt grab me enough.

I voted Talented Guys, Not Bad because of that :D

- Dan

one song i really do like is Acid Rain, my friend told me theres two out there on the net, and said the longer one is the original. The piano doesn't seem right in the song but I love the guitar.

very talented musicians

but not the type of band i'd listen to for fun

:D

they are still good on the odd occasion.

i like the song as i am

although it was meant to be a radio song,

and to some degree a sellout

from their sellout album, train of though

(correct me if im wrong)

B)

it's still a good song.

less "prog" than their usual stuff, but that is to be expected if it is their "radio hit" from their "radio album"

i like some of the "proggier" Dream Theater as well.

btw. is it Dream Theater or Dream Theatre?

lol. i think it's Dream Theater, but people spell that word differently in different countries.

they might even spell it differently in different states of America.

lol.

No offence to anyone that might cause offence to.

i liked dream theater (er...) 's album Scenes from a memory.

i don't listen to dream theater often, but maybe i had an off day and listened to this album. :D

it is definitely good, and there are some great moments which shine though, but in all, it can get rather boring.

(i think they solo too much...lol.)

i liked it on the whole though. some of the time signatures were a bit irregular, but you get used to that when listening to prog.

it is good to stray from the regular

and

every once in a while.

i mean, that's all you get in regular pop, or rock.

like ACDC.

lol.

back to the point.

dream theater are a band which are worthwhile to listen to.

especially if you're into prog, or metal in general.

i enjoyed it to a certain extent, and i dont like prog very much.

im certainly not a fan.

if you really like prog, you should try to listen to one of their "proggier" albums.

i.e. skip out the "radio album" - that is, train of thought, and try something more heavy, and prog, like seven degrees of inner turbulence, or scenes from a memory (which i talked about earlier), or metropolis live.

it has some mindblowing solos in it, but then, don't all dream theater albums?

i especially love the live rendition of overture 1812 (is that correct?)

it surpasses the already quite excellent studio verion.

check out dream theater.

they're good , although not that good, and they may not be suited to your tastes, but you should have a listen and decide for yourself.

as shakespeare once said "lest ye have tried of the fruit, spurn not its taste"

:D

I looooooove dream theater!!! They're definately my favourite band.

About the changing rythms: I like them, but I sorta liked them better when it was the first couple times I had listened to the song and didn't know it was coming. Now when I'm listening to them and the rythm changes, it doesn't sound as weird/cool 'cause I'm expecting it......or maybe I just listen to too much DT... :D

Oh, and Smitty, that was the most ADD post I've ever seen.

In what regards? Opeth is a very solid band with great musicians but putting them above DT in talent and ability is just wrong.

daveq - it seriously took some getting used to James' vocals for me but now i can't stop listening to them after .....almost a decade?

Check out the album "Awake" and you might have a change of heart. Then again, ya may not. If you're a fan of Petrucci's playing (like me) you might dig on Liquid Tension Experiment. It's a side band of Mike Portnoy that included Petrucci and other musicians. Solid instrumental music.

the reason i say that opeth is more talented is because their drummer is a beast, the guitarists can hold there own against almost anyone, and the bassist is a force to be reckoned with. petrucci is better than either of the opeth guitarists, and the drummers are very close, but theres just something about opeth that makes me :D

It took a while for DT to sink in for me. But once they did, I went out and bought all their CDs. They're my favorite band right now, by far. In October, I had the privelege of taking a Master Class and Clinic with John Petrucci himself. I can't describe what that was like.

Plus, they are fantastic live. I saw them twice in 2004 and they were great both times. At Madison Square Garden they went on with no opening act and played for almost 4 hours.

Well, it's not unusual for me to dislike a CD when I first listen to it. After a few times around, I can change from really hating it to falling in love with it. Maybe this will be one of those.

I remember I had the same thing happen with Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood". I was so dissapointed the first time I heard it. After a few spins, I began to realize that it was a friggin masterpiece! I wish I still had it. It was so long ago that it was a vinyl album and it's been gone for quite a while. I've been looking for it on CD in my local music stores but can't find it.

I thought I would like petruci since he seems to be really into effects as I am. I've seen the pics of his live rig and that's the kind of stuff that I love! Walls of equipment and flashing LEDs!!! Yeah!!! He's even got my most beloved piece of gear ever - the Eventide harmonizer and seems to use it quite a bit.

I'll keep giving it a chance then I guess. Thanks for the replies.

I thought I would like petruci since he seems to be really into effects as I am. I've seen the pics of his live rig and that's the kind of stuff that I love! Walls of equipment and flashing LEDs!!! Yeah!!! He's even got my most beloved piece of gear ever - the Eventide harmonizer and seems to use it quite a bit.

You like bands because of the gear they use???? :D

You like bands because of the gear they use????

When I saw the pics of his gear, I thought - hey that's my kind of guy. Since I had seen his name all over the place, I thought maybe I should give it a listen.

I don't know if you were being serious or not but no, I generally have no idea what gear any band uses and could never possibly use that as a way to determine if I like them or not. I think it was actually another thread here on PG that linked to his live gear pics which started me on this whole path.

Dave, I feel you on that point. It's just some point of connection with the artist. "Oh, well he's a tube driver guy, maybe we think alike, I might have to check him out." I did the same with Ty Tabor. He's got a Wilkinson on his signature model, since I love the Wilkinson, I thought, "maybe I need to check out some more King's X or Ty Tabor solo." I checked it out, and it was hit or miss, but I did it at all just because I felt like there was that point of connection.

I saw a Satriani/Dream Theater/King's X show here in Dallas a year or two ago. I went almost entirely to see Satch, but I was a minor fan of DT and KX. I liked King's X, but I have to tell you that Dream Theater really did nothing for me live. I was ready to go get a coke during their set. However, I could net help but notice the sizeable contingent of hardcore DT fans just totally rocking out. So I guess for me it is clear that they have talent in abundance, but maybe I'm just not as into the whole style of music. Clearly, they are making a connection with lots of folks other than me, and won't miss my support.

@daveg: Don't take my comment too serious. You just sounded like you generally only like bands that have flashy gear....lol

@El Dangerouso: I know exactly what you mean. Everybody has different tastes and only because many people like Dream Theater's music you don't have to like them. After all rap and hiphop are very popular and I HATE both styles.

@daveg: Don't take my comment too serious. You just sounded like you generally only like bands that have flashy gear....lol

BTW, the flashing LEDs remark was sarcasm. :D The harmonizer was not - I really love those things.

I think El Dangerouso understood what I was talking about. He certainly understood where I'm at with Dream Theater. I'm still keeping the door open and giving them a shot though.

You like bands because of the gear they use???? :D

Oh please, like everyone here hasn't bought gear because their hero plays it.

Well, he may be using it for things other than harmonizing. I have yet to use mine in that mode actually. I have found a setting that I really like and it doesn't use the diatonic shifting at all. After we move, I plan to get into at a deeper level and create some effects of my own but for now, I'm really happy with what I've got.

Funny how a little bit of sarcasm can be taken in such an unintended direction. :D