strings

the third eye

what's your favourite  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Elixirs on my guitars, and on my bass if i can afford it. On average on my bass i use Rotosound pressurewounds. I love the feel of those :D they eat up your fingers goooooooooood.

But pretty soon since my fretless is coming in, i'm gonna have to get used to using flatwounds. I've asked plenty of people, and they all prefer D'Addario Chromes. So that's what i'll be trying out first B) If those don't work, then i'm going back to rotosound stainless steel flatwounds.

I really like a soft feel, with a lot of grip, and ultra bright sound.

I tried a lot of different strings when i was first starting out. I initially played Dean Markleys because that's what everyone else i knew played. I tried Blue Steels, D'Addario, DR, you name it. Once i tried GHS Boomers, i stopped trying others. I love the feel, i love the sound, and they last really well for me. I don't think i've been using anything else for at least 15 years.

I played 9-42s for ages, and recently went up to 10-46 on my 6-strings. My 7-string needed more "oomph" though, so that's strung with 11-70 (it's an 11-50 6-string set with a 70 on the bottom string).

D'Addario XL

9-42 for my Ibanez 540S

10-46 for my Ibanez lawsuit LP

I end up with about the same string tension on both guitars because of the scale difference.

I'm not that fussy about or loyal to string brands but these are cheap and good, and I figure I might as well stick to the same ones for consistence.

D'Addario XL 10-46 for my strat

Elixer ploywebs 12-53 for my acoustic

D'Addario 1/2 rounds 45-100 for my razor

D'Addario slowwounds 45-105 for my foundation

Yeah, I'm using GHS "Boomers" right now, on my Strat. I'm always looking for new things.

Ernie Ball, D'Addario, and GHS are probably my favorites, not too attached to a brand.

Last year, I put a set of 20 some-odd dollar Elixers on my $150 Epi Les Paul. That was a mistake. They lasted for around 6 months, though, of light playing.

hahahaha i paid $25.00 for those crappy Elixer strings, they lasted me about a month, what a waste of money they are, I have went back to the trusted D'Addario's

I guess most of you know how those Elixers got started. Story goes something like : This guy named Gore, or something like that, owned a company that made some kind of device that required a thin cable connected to it, so finally they came up with the idea of using a guitar string, which was actually a good idea. But they needed the cable/guitar string to be more corrosion resistant, so they had them coated with whatever plastic-like material they used. I think they might have even had the coating named Goretex, or something like that. As long as they were going through all that to make their cables, they decided to coat whole sets of guitar strings and sell them as guitar strings that "last longer".

Anyway thats the story I read long ago, at least how I remember it. I never tried them. Have no plans to.

Ernie balls always feel "too tight" to me.

GHS have always seemed good.

D'Addarios have seemed inconsistant.

DR's are nice, but will change neck tension a little ( could cause a buzz)

I use elixir lights on my acoustic and they are great. They really do last alot longer than all the other strigns I have tried. Typically they will last me 2 months or so, and i play at least an hour a day, every day. They take quite a beating, and no matter what people say about they dont think they sound as much like regular strings I like them and they are woth the $14.

As far as electric guitar strings....I am interested to see what everone else thinks. I use Ernie Ball usually, but I just recently purchased the Dean Markley 3 for $9 set at Guitar Center...so far they seem ok, i like the EB better. I wouldnt try elixir on the electric...I dont see why you would need them since most electric guitars are pretty fast anyways... just my two cents.

:D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I currently use EB 10-52 for guitar and EB 50- 135 for bass.

I use the EB's for electric cuz they're $3 a set, and thewy are the only company that makes the big assed 5th string set.

i usually have to mix and match my strings..

for most rock shred type stuff its some d'addarios for bendy stuff, i like power slinkys and for my old axe [dead night swan now] 16-72

My review of the both kinds of strings I prefer and used ALOT in the last 5-6 years:

Ernie Ball 0.9: They are the strings that sound best to me if they are new out of the box. There's just NOTHING that sounds as good as set of new Ernie Ball strings.

They are so brilliant and sparkly suonding it's a joy....Downside is that they start to sound dull and bad very soon (1 week) and don't last very long. I use them mainly for recording....

D'Addario 0.9: They sound not as good as the Ernie Ball if both are compared new. They keep their tone for a quite long time and last forever compared to many other strings though.

=> I mainly use D'Addario and if I am recording critical clean parts then I use Ernie Ball strings.

Just my opinion though....

i just put on dean markleys and i like em

an addition to the whole elixer debate. i used to use nothing but dean markleys on my acoustic, and they sounded great, but once, and only once, the salesman at the music store convinced me to try something else, so i did. put on the elixer polywebs 13-53. a year and two months later, i still wasn't planning on getting new strings anytime soon. they just sounded amazing. i broke one, though, so gave in and bought a new set.

scary part...the new ones sounded identical to the set i had just pulled off, proving that they do hold their tone for a crapload of a long time compared to other strings i've played on. i beat the hell out of my acoustic when i play, too. bends on high action as far as a major third, when strumming, i rival the volume (sometimes beat it) of a decent practice amp, and playing from open string up to the 15th (i'd go farther like i do on electic, but it's not a cutaway...). so these strings have pretty much sold me for life, now.

• 4 weeks later...

i use d'addarios for my clasical, need to change the lower 3 strings wby the way , the wounding is getting worn

and i used to use ernie ball super slinky but now is switched to regular slinky (thats 9's to 10'[s for you non ernie ballers :D )

The strange thing is that ive never had a string snap except for one high e string. for some reason (even on electric striings) instead of snapping the wounding starts to unravel and all thats lift is a thin piece of wire.

actually the string i break the most is 5th string, but thankfully the place where i get strings selles 2 packs of strings for the price of one AND you can mix brands and types, for the price of the more expensive one :rock