What's Your Favorite "noise Chord"?

erikbojerik

id be agreeing with wes here. jarring discordant sounds are the basis of what i play.

if you find a tab for 43% burnt by dillinger escape plan then they use that instead of regular 3 string power chords.

id be agreeing with wes here. jarring discordant sounds are the basis of what i play.

if you find a tab for 43% burnt by dillinger escape plan then they use that instead of regular 3 string power chords.

Good ol' E(no3)b5 ...

I must try that at the next rehearsal, replace all power chords with b5 chords :DB):D

man this theory lark always confuzzled me. i just learn chords that sound nice and then work out how ill be able to move it around to keep the same sound. tho in truth if given a little time to think about them i can just about work out the proper names

Not a generalization I'd make....

I think people in general are inspired to play stuff they like, and bits of the theory follow along later. I'm finding that piano really helps with the theory part...I have to help my kids out with piano lessons, and I find it is a good workout on the fundamentals.

I thnink it's funny that all these guitar players dont know music theory at all.  It's funny that the people who cant play very well always know all the thoery and all the "good" players dont know what it is there playin...

That is a foolish statement and is a punishable offense! BREAK OUT THE WET NOODLE! :D

You've really gotta step away from the rock/pop culture to make such a determination. Reproduction of memorized material doesn't not make someone a good player and even less of a musician. A good player / musician can hold there own in any area in any key without previous familiarity of the material. That's where music theory comes into play.

Wayne Newton is a great example of someone who has come to play guitar fairly well but couldn't improvise to save his life.

I thnink it's funny that all these guitar players dont know music theory at all.  It's funny that the people who cant play very well always know all the thoery and all the "good" players dont know what it is there playin...

would you rather know the names of the chords or the fingering? most chords have multiple names based on use and what the other instruments are playing....one mans am7 is another mans c6....i've been playing for 22 years, and with my own compositions, i go with what sounds good and may not be "theory" correct, but again, chord substitution makes things ambiguous, but put a chart in front of me, and i play pretty much what is written....with some added color tones...yes, i'm the guy who will play a f over an em vamp......LOL

in order of appearance....(Fmaj7sus2b9b5/B), (Cmaj13), (A13sus4), (G13sus2/A)

at least that's how the bass interplays with me.

Kevan! Another member of the spelling police, out of the closet. I'm with you brother...

Another nice noise chord is AMm7 (A major-minor 7th, just Am with a maj7 added):

E-0 (5th)

B-1 (minor 3rd)

G-1 (maj7th)

D-2 (5th)

A-0 (root)

E-X

Another one of those nice jazz color chords that turn noisy when you crank up the gain. You can barre that one all over the neck too. Heck, throw in E-0 in the bass if you like.

And if you MUST flat the 5th at D-2...well fine, go ahead. That'll give you Eb&E and Ab&A going on...pretty noisy!

• 1 year later...