questionairre

Giggz

Hi again

Firstly I’d just like to thank everybody who took the time out to fill out my questionnaire. I received 113 replies, for which I am extremely grateful. I also received a lot of good advice and feedback that has helped me to come up with the second (and last) page to my questionnaire.

If you have the time (and patience) please fill this one if. If you don't like questionnaires please just ignore this topic. Thank you

:D

1. Which of the following is more important to you when buying from a guitar shop.

a. Expert advice

b. Range of different brands

c. Competitive pricing

d. Friendly customer service

2. How important is it for you to keep your guitar (on a scale of 1 to 5)

*Tuned

*Supplied with new strings

*Properly humidified

*Polished

3. Would you prefer to buy a guitar from a shop that has

a. More models of a few brands

b. Fewer models of more brands

4. How much attention do you pay to guitar shop advertising

5. How important is it to you for your local/favourite guitar shop to offer other musical instruments

a. Not important

b. Fairly important

c. Vital

6. With regard to your current local/favourite guitar shop, what aspects of it do you like and dislike

Like…

Dislike…

7. What things annoy you about guitar shops?

8. Would you prefer to buy a guitar from a shop or online?

Please state reason for choice…

Thank You :D

1. a

2. 5,5,3,3.

3. b

4. zero

5. a

6. Well the only thing I like about it is there nice. But they dont know much about guitars. There like "fender....bright......gibson.....dark....". They dont have much in stock. And the companys who do have alot in stock have the worst sales staff. Personally I would MUCH rather buy online than deal with a store.

7. I hate walking into a guitar shop and knowing more about guitar than the tech guys. I think ONLY people who really know what there doing should be working there. I also hate it when those same people who dont know anything about guitars make "recomendations" like "fender is WAYYYY better than gibson" Or "ya this one is um er better than anything you'll find in other shops

8. I LOVE buying anything I can online because of the reason I gave to question 7. The only thing I will NOT buy online is any guitar. Anything else I will find online (with the exception of strings) I'll buy amps or effects online in a heartbeat. But I just dont think every guitar sounds the same and I like to feel my guitar before buying.

hope this helps! :D

O and you better start putting more descriptive titles on your topics of the moderators will edit it and there not very nice about it either :D

Edited by Godin SD

1. D

2. A

3. B

4. What, like catalogs? I'm a sale hound.

5. A

6. Like…Lots of guitars / Dislike…Too crowded. Don't these people have homes or jobs or something?

7. The "shredders." Nothing personal, but I need what's left of my hearing.

8. Online. When I'm ready to buy I know what I want, and I don't want a display model.

1. D

2. 5,4,1,1

3. A

4. A lot

5. A

6. Likes

they talk a lot to customers

they let me test stuff

Dislikes

They point out the most expensive guitars as the best

They don't know anything about guitars

7. See dislikes above

8. Online, because I hate dealing with people, so online doesnt make me deal with many people

O and you better start putting more descriptive titles on your topics of the moderators will edit it and there not very nice about it either

that is VERY correct.i was about to throw down...but i will settle for just saying "be more descriptive in the future"

and i will edit the title myself

• 1. All four (if any of them are absent, I'm gone!)
  • 2. 5, 3, 1, 2
  • 3. B
  • 4. Not much
  • 5. A
  • 6. Like - Not much, but at least they've learned not to "hardsell" me.
    Dislike - Poor selection, "boy genius" staffers, extremely poor special order fullfillment, pathetic repair capabilities.
  • 7. Lowest common denominator sales tactics, Mojo marketing,... and seriously over-priced accessories and service.
  • 8. I'd prefer to buy locally - it's simply not feasible, given the local shops (although one is improving - we'll see if it lasts).

1, D

2, 5,3,1,1

3, B

4, I naturally ignore most advertising unless its amusing

5, A probablly tho i think it is important that they offer more than just the standard range of guitar stuff. so books of tabs/lessons/theory for example id say are pretty important.

they're friendlly

even tho im not a regular they're still happy to let me try their stuff.

Dislike

they have a POOR selection of pedals and amps. the highest quality amp they have in stock is a large 100 watt marshall (cant remember model, while since ive been) and after that there is nothing untill an MG100DFX

so far i havnt been into any guitar shops that have annoyed me tho one thing i reckon would annoy me is if they were doing the pretentious musician act and pretending that i knew nothing.

8, its 50 - 50 for me really. online its easier to find what you want and its normally less cash but clearlly in a shop you can test it before you lay the money down.

hope thats helpful

JG

1. All 4 but "c" is probably more important as I'm tight :D

2. 1,3,2,2

3. b - I'm sick of places that pretty much only Fender & Gibson (and knock of versions)

4. Not a lot (unless there are scantily clad women on it)

5. a - I don't play anything else so it's not important to me personally. I do like it when they do sell other stuff though, gives you something to look at.

6. Like - Good prices, friendly, don't mind if you're just looking and not going to buy anthing

Dislike - Sometimes smells a bit like piss

7. Pushy salesmen, especially when they don't have a clue. Having to ask before getting a guitar down. Ed Roman :D <--- j/k never been there

8. Either, but I'd go to a shop to have a play on it first.

Edited by ToneMonkey

1) b

2)5, 5, 3, 2

3) b

4) little to none

5) b

6) I like the personal relations and free run of the place.

I dislike their inability to handle "special orders" and it's hard to leave.

7) Snotty, aloof salespersons

8) Shop, if they know their stuff. I like to support local business and problems/

returns are less hassle.

Edited by thedoctor

1. All of them!

2. 5,5,5,3

3. Fewer models of more brands

4. Very little

5. Not important

6. Like… The discount that they give me :D

Dislike… The guitar department is a bit cramped, could do with being bigger

7. When there's someone who works there that doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

8. No, only if was a cheap guitar or parts, I like to try before I buy

1. B, C

2. 5,4,3,4

3. Hmm... more models AND more brands. I like VARIETY!!!

4. 0%

5. C Did I mention I like VARIETY? lol Where are the octave mandolins and bouzouki's??!??

6. Likes: Variety of brands, variety of models, promotion of local talent, has alot of used gear

Dislikes: Sometimes the salesmen are pushy, sometimes the guitar necks are grungy. I think customers should be forced to wash hands before picking up anything!! lol

7. See Dislikes above. Cheaply built guitars being sold for good $$. Also, people blasting guitars really loud for long periods of time, especially if they're out of tune. Trying to hear the guitar you're playing over the top of the music being pumped out of the store's speakers.

8. I prefer a shop, because every guitar is different, and I like to know what I'm buying. However, I've been VERY close to buying a Carvin SO MANY TIMES!!! I have bought a replacement neck from Carvin, and it was flat-out excellent. Bang for the buck factor is through the roof. I doubt I would ever buy a Gibson, Fender, whatever from an online store when I could get one at the shop down the street. Not unless the price was like 50% lower online or something.

1. C. For the mere fact that I know enough about guitars to know what I like and such. If something is too expensive, I most likely won't buy it regardless.

2. I assume 1 being least and 5 being most? 5, 5, 1, 1

3. B because the feel of some brands just isn't for everyone.

4. None.

5. A.

6. Like... The ever increasing variety of basses. The very friendly staff. VERY good prices on strings.

Dislike... Low emphasis on bass guitars.

7. Amps that aren't plugged up. Low variety of basses.

8. I would prefer to buy from a shop, but my very limited funds force me to look for the absolute best deals possible. My last bass I bought was bought from a shop, however.

1. A,D

2. Tuned: 5, New Strings: 4, Humidified: 1, Polished: 3

3. That depends - are they more models from brands I like? I'd rather go to a shop that sells Fender and Gibson guitars and Victoria and Marshall amps and nothing else than a place that's loaded up with cheapie low-end models. Not that I can afford a Victoria - but I walked into a shop one time that had a bunch of 'em and the guy who ran it was nice enough to let me and my buddy have fun with one for a while - that's a hell of an amp.

4. A lot when they have Ernie Ball regular slinkys on sale for like $15 a 10 pack :D.

5. B/C - I like 'em to have basses, keyboards, etc - doesn't have to be anything terribly fancy.

6. Rockin' Robin in Houston, Tx.

Like…

Guys who work there actually know what they're doing an can do serious work on guitars. It's possible I won't need it anymore now, but it was nice when I did.

A great selection of new and used instruments.

Prices seem about 30% high... but you can talk 'em down about 40% :D.

Dislike…

Sometimes they don't have a big pile of amps, but that's not big an issue, they always have good ones.

Everything about guitar center and sam ash except the cheapness. Last time I bought a guitar I had to go to guitar center because Rockin' Robin didn't have what I wanted. I sat there playing a guitar for 30 minutes, decided I really liked that specific guitar, went to buy it, and the guys behind the counter tried to give me one still in its packing from the factory that I hadn't even seen for my thousand dollars (I set them straight and took home the one I'd been playing). And then they charged me about a hundred dollars for the Fender case that comes with the d**n guitar from the factory. They took the new one they tried to give me out of its cardboard box it'd shipped in, out of the Fender hardcase, and tried to sell it to me with a cheaper SKB case. AAAAGH!

A shop. I'd never buy a guitar I hadn't played first unless it was a real cheapie and I was pretty sure I was going to get a bad guitar anyway.

1. All four (tough question!)

2. 5, 4, 3, 2

3. a

4. little to none

5. b

6. like.....the people that work there

dislike.....lack of decent brands/instruments (they carry mostly low end stuff - I want the pricer/higher quality stuff)

7. guitar players..............should I elaborate? OK, guitar players that feel they need to play at 11 in the shop on every guitar so everyone knows they are the next vai or satch.....(yeah, right)

8. I'd prefer to buy in a shop but the selection is limited so I buy mostly online.

1. B

2. 5, 5, 3, 4

3. B

4. Little

5. A

6. Like: the brand s they carry

Dislike: they won't bring in any new brands

7. Knowing more than whatever high school kid they have working there. And not having an area ready to go for testing out guitars. That's like a car dealership not having gas in any of the cars for test drives.

8. I do a little of both.

1. b-- I can do research on my own regarding what I want in a guitar, so a and c aren't strictly necessary. Also, I'll pay what a guitar is worth, and if it's too much I won't buy it. However, if the guitar isn't there to play at all, none of the other things matter much.

3.b-- I want to get my hands on as many as possible, and if I need to wait a week for a special order to come in, so be it.

4. Little to none-- with resources like Harmony Central reviews and PG.com, there's no need for someone biased to tell me how good a product is.

5.a-- I play bass-- what do I need a 7 string electric banjo for?

6. My local place has friendly and helpful employees, some of whom I know on a first name basis. Prices are competitive, not with Guitar Center or anything, but much better than any small stores. They're selection isn't huge, but sometimes they'll get in some real used gems. Besides, the only place nearby with a better selection is about 35 miles away, and it's a Guitar Center-- hardly worth it.

The lack of selection is the only real problem. If I want to get my hands on a really nice bass, I have to go to Guitar Center. However, the local place is still fun just to occasionally peruse, and they fulfill all my string, etc. needs.

7. I don't like stupid sales staff who pretend to know more than they do. I don't like sales staff who are outwardly mean-- like it's a chore to sell you stuff. I don't like that there's one bass salesperson for every 5 guitar guys.

8. Shop-- I can't tell sound or feel online, so what's the point?

Edited by skibum5545

1. Which of the following is more important to you when buying from a guitar shop.

a. Expert advice

b. Range of different brands

c. Competitive pricing

d. Friendly customer service

*Tuned - 5

*Supplied with new strings - 4

*Properly humidified - 2

*Polished - 3

3. Would you prefer to buy a guitar from a shop that has

a. More models of a few brands

4. How much attention do you pay to guitar shop advertising

I will listen and such but have never taken advantage of an offer that I heard.

5. How important is it to you for your local/favourite guitar shop to offer other musical instruments

a. Not important

b. Fairly important

c. Vital

6. With regard to your current local/favourite guitar shop, what aspects of it do you like and dislike

Like… Good People, They have the things I want at OK prices

Dislike… It's too quite inside!

I don't really like it when the salesmen hang around you.  It would be nice to have a guy help you out right away, like set you up with an amp to play on, then leave you alone for a while instead of standing there.  I can find someone if I need help.

I feel that I have better selection of instruments online - new, used, more colors, better prices.  However, none of my guitars have cost me more than $400 a piece.  When I get to the point where I want something pricey, I will probably try and get it somewhat locally to make sure that I will be happy with my purchase.

c. Competitive pricing

*Tuned - 15

*Supplied with new strings - 8

*Properly humidified - 4

*Polished - 1

4. How much attention do you pay to guitar shop advertising: ZIP

c. Vital

Like… prices, good range, some decent guys

Dislike… too small, too many idiots in it, not enough odd bits at hand, takes ages to get an order in.

the feeling that you are being rushed to buy something or get out. morons who think they can play solos by tapping an arp on the E 'quickly' and loudly. skaters, punks - far too arrogant for a shop, service speed being slow because of volume of customers, the crap music always on.

online if i knew what i was getting, no idiots trying to get more money off me, but i wouldnt really guy a guitar without playing it - unless i had a really good recomendation from someone i trusted who knew their stuff about guitars.

in shops there is the usual, you will need a gig bag and strap and amp etc... also they treat you as if you cant play and know nothing about guitars, for example some moron tried to talk wood with me about some substandard quilt top, and he said it was like an AAAAAA flame top, when it was clearly a quilt. he also claimed it was birch or something stupid - i just grinned and left the shop. so if people trying to sell me stuff are bluffing they dont get my money.

just to add:

the shop i go to most is split into 2 premises: the classical shop and the rock shop.

i must say that everyone in the classical shop knows what they profess. they are all the best guys around, the most helpful - and not full of marketing rubbish - they would talk you out of spending more money if you were making the wrong choice. fantastic blokes, thats the sort of shop i wished the rock shop was.

the rock shop is full of asses, and if just generally the opposite of the classical shop.

also i must add that having a well light shop is very good, i prefer shops with a good well lit up room, the rock shop is kinda dark (by comparison)

Mike

just to add:

the shop i go to most is split into 2 premises: the classical shop and the rock shop.

i must say that everyone in the classical shop knows what they profess. they are all the best guys around, the most helpful - and not full of marketing rubbish - they would talk you out of spending more money if you were making the wrong choice. fantastic blokes, thats the sort of shop i wished the rock shop was.

the rock shop is full of asses, and if just generally the opposite of the classical shop.

also i must add that having a well light shop is very good, i prefer shops with a good well lit up room, the rock shop is kinda dark (by comparison)

Mike

Thats what I have found to be true in EVERY guitar or classical shop I have been in. (except for the lighting)