Jv-1 Project..

We'll it's been a while since I've actually posted a project that I'm doing, but this one is interesting enough that I thought I'd at least post some progress pics.  Here are some of the specs I decided upon before I started anything.

-Swamp Ash (ultra lightweight) body with wild grain pattern.

-Set Neck

-3° Neck Angle..  I had to draw everything out full scale in order to figure the correct angle for my bridge.  (tip: If you don't know how to correctly figure this out.. read Rhoads post, or Melvyn Hiscock's book on page 26 of Make Your Own Electric Guitar.)

-Deep Carved top..

-24 Fret Rosewood Fretboard with Abalone inlays

-Two Seymour Duncan pickups... JB Model (SH-4) for the Bridge Pickup, and a Jazz Model (SH-2) for the Neck Pickup.

-No pickguard

-Bone Nut

-Leo Quan Bad Ass Bridge (Wraparound) Gold

-Grover Tuners Gold

-Gold Knobs

-Black Cherry Burst Finish

-Jumbo Frets, with Gibson type flat crown* May go with Stainless Steel though>>

-MOP Inlayed Headstock

-Thin neck for fast play

-And no Heel design, I don't want a PRS fat heel getting in the way.

-Carbon Fiber Rods to make the neck really strong and eliminate dead spots

So I might as well get started....

Here is a picture of the guitar after it was cutout using my own templates I built...

jv1body.jpg

And here's a different view.

JV-1 body pic

not all that that cheap. stewmac has the schaller bridges cheaper actually dont know about the other brands though.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the control cavity plate made and it fits perfect thanks to the templates I made. Here's a picture of it here. What I did was double stick tape the template to the material, and then bandsaw until it was really close to the template. Then took a flush trim router bit, on a router table to finish it off. Now to test it on the guitar.

jv1cp02.jpg

Great, no gaps at all, so now to finish sanding and get this thing painted..

• 2 weeks later...

I went yesterday to the booth and picked out the colors and my wife helped with the idea for the back burst. Anyway, I think Mitch did a great job on the paint job, and I learned a lot from him and the next guitar will be my first one to use professional paint on. I have the blower now, just have to build a small booth for painting (you don't want dust). I won't do it unless I'm sure the quality will be top notch, otherwise why do it? I got it back and am in the assembly phase of the build, you have to be real careful with the guitar even though the finish is solid, it's not fully cured yet. Here's a picture of the guitar I took after I was inserting the studs.

jv1paint02.jpg

And another close up from a different angle.

JV-1 Front pic 2

I got to get back to assembling.. Later guys.. electronics next.. lol

Thanks jnewman..

I forgot to post the burst on the back of the guitar. It's not a very good picture because it was on the worktable outside while I was assembling everything. Not only is it a cherry burst, but also the whole back is, which doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

jv1paint04.jpg

Now to do the electronics, make a nut, neck jig it, etc.

I will post sound samples when I get done.. Later

amazing finish man! Im really liking that guitar evenmore now then before!

Appreciate that, yeah I like the look of a cherry burst, and having it done on the complete back of the guitar is a bonus also. The pictures make the guitar look more red than it is, it actually is lighter red in the middle, and fades to black on the edges.

Progress notes:

-Bridge is installed (with ground wire to the inserts).

-Tuners are aligned and mounted.

-Output jack installed.

-Almost done with the wiring as far as the pots, and output jack goes.

Still left to do...

-Make a nut...

-Align the pickups and mount them (with mounting rings)

-Slot the bridge correctly

-Use shielding paint to shield the control cavity.

-Finish Wiring the pickups to the electronics..

-Mount the control plate.

-Use the neck jig to level the frets...

-Setup and intonate..

****PLAY IT***

lol

Thanks guys.... Those pictures don't do it justice, especially since I got all the gold hardware mounted on it. Wednesday afternoon I put 3 coats of shielding paint in the control cavity for shielding the guitar good. I finished up the wiring yesterday, made a nut, slotted the bridge and nut for optimal spacing, and fired it up last night. I was really, really well pleased with this guitar sound and I hope to have you guys some sound samples soon. The Swamp Ash gives it a mid range tone, not too bright, and not to dark sounding. Today I'm pretty much booked up, so I'm not going to get anything done on the guitar, but tomorrow I'll have the truss rod cover made and the control cavity plate mounted. I'll then do a final setup on the guitar and I'm finished.

Well guys I finished the JV-1 yesterday and took some pics.

Here it is.

jv1finished01.jpg

Thanks Drak, CudBucket, thewrathofraf, for your positive feedback, and I hope you guys still like it after all the gold hardware. I can't wait to play it on stage next weekend, it plays so great and has a very bold sound. I'll have sound clips later today. I'm just so glad I finally got her done... lol

Also, thanks for everyones suggestions and help to make the JV-1 that much better.

Appreciate that Gun... I had a real hard time photographing this guitar, the pictures don't do it justice at all. The grain pattern gets lost in the red for some reason, and it's hard to capture the way the guitar really looks. Like the picture below.

jv1finished07.jpg

You can see the grain pattern somewhat, but it just doesn't show up as good in the pictures.

That's one sweet lookin' guitar!

Guitar photography is a bit of a major pain, though; short of having studio lights/work lights with reflectors on them, the best situation for getting accurate photographs is to shoot outdoors on an overcast day. You know the kind: gray, dull skies, very neutral light, perfectly diffuse. Then it's a matter of getting the angle right so you don't have crazy reflectiveness going on; on one or two shots, to show off the gloss, sure, but beyond that you want to see more detail. Sunny weather, direct light, will tend to show off a beautifully reflective surface, but tone down everthing else.

That's one sweet lookin' guitar!

Guitar photography is a bit of a major pain, though; short of having studio lights/work lights with reflectors on them, the best situation for getting accurate photographs is to shoot outdoors on an overcast day. You know the kind: gray, dull skies, very neutral light, perfectly diffuse. Then it's a matter of getting the angle right so you don't have crazy reflectiveness going on; on one or two shots, to show off the gloss, sure, but beyond that you want to see more detail. Sunny weather, direct light, will tend to show off a beautifully reflective surface, but tone down everthing else.

Exactly, not only do you need to build a great guitar, you need to learn all you can about photography if you really want to capture your guitar the best way possible. I also think that Red is a real hard color to capture correctly for some reason. On your beautiful GOTM entry guitar, you had to deal with red also, and I did notice you didn't take the pictures in direct sunlight. Your dead on about the overcast day being better, because in direct sunlight the red almost looked orange and the grain was no where to be seen in the photo. So I basically had to take pictures in the shade to get a decent photo.

Thanks Marksound, I hope to have some sound samples tonight, and hopefully you guys will like the sound of it also.

Later guys