Impulse Buying

guitman32

Needed a flush mount jack for my new build, so I went to the local GC to pick it up. As always, I browse the used section for anything interesting, and behold, a first gen 5150, with minor road wear, just in...

So here is where all logic leaves, and impulse kicks in->Plug in->play lo gain input, test all settings->switch to high gain input, test all settings->tear it up for 10 minuites (all I had till closing)->proceed to put amp on layaway.

Here in FL, all used equip must be retained for 30 days so verify it isnt stolen. This is why I put it on layaway instead of taking it home. All in all, I would say $530 isnt too bad for an original good condition 5150. Been meaning to add one to my collection anyway!!! I should mention that the tubes arent original, they are GT 6l6's. Would you have done the same??

So, that was my sunday adventure....but I know im not the only one who has had impule buys like this. Lets hear it!

Hey, if you're in the market for a 5150, and the price/condition is right, why not?

I got my income tax refund in 1999, and went to a local store to buy a Vox ac-15 amp. I grabbed a Gibson LP DC standard off the rack to try out the amp, and ended up taking the guitar home and leaving the amp at the store. That guitar has been my #1 ever since. Overall, it was a great buy, but there are still times when I wish I had that amp.

Come on, you don't seriously thing this only happens to you, do you? I mean, get REAL!! When I get a catalog in the mail I spend about an hour going through every little thing I ever wanted and get fixated on the stuff that seems to have any cool at all. I am like a demon posessed until I have one. Fortunately, I have thieving-rights at all the music stores so I just grab one and take it home until the thrill wears off. Then I return it (not as often as I should) and tell them why I don't want it. Kinda like an unpaid quality-control manager. That does not explain the new Genz Diablo in my office, however. Uhmmmm, it followed me home and won't leave! Really! I even tried not feeding it! It just won't go away!

Last january I took my old Gibson V into to get a pickup swap, wanted passives instead of emgs. So of course I had to browse around the new Gibsons and see what they got in. Looking at the V's of course they just got in a brand new V 98 in natural with gold hardware and all. So of course I had to try it on a brand new never used Mesa Triple, nothing like playing thru a $3,000 set up. of course there was a down payment put on the guitar and I picked it up later in the week. As I see it, its an investment for the future cuz the guitar will go up in value.

MzI

As I see it, its an investment for the future cuz the guitar will go up in value

:D:D

That's what I always tell my wife!!

I have had mulititudes of impulsive buys....the latest was my Cirrus. I was browsing the rack at the huge store in Mad Town and saw it priced oddly....like $500 less than it should have been. Asked a few questions (it was new but had some "in store dings"), found a few dings from boneheads that play store equipment like they own it, threw the guy an $800 offer and went home with it for 1/2 price!! They sell for $1599 at musicians friend, etc.....not a bad grab!

um...i think everyone on this forum probably have a serious impulse buying condition......it all started innocently enough.....a jackson 7 string...then in the same day a b.c rich beast, a schecter omen 007....and from ebay 2 esp mf-207's....then a few days later....a japanese kiss songbook...very rare, for the elder....and if the missus finds out how much i paid for the book, i am in a world of poop.....

steve

um...i think everyone on this forum probably have a serious impulse buying condition......it all started innocently enough.....a jackson 7 string...then in the same day a b.c rich beast, a schecter omen 007....and from ebay 2 esp mf-207's....then a few days later....a japanese kiss songbook...very rare, for the elder....and if the missus finds out how much i paid for the book, i am in a world of poop.....

steve

HA HA!! If the missus finds out.... {{{{{{{shudder shudder}}}}}} Don't even go there.... :D

hmm...are you guys kidding me?

my impulse buys just this past year..not in any order

bc rich warlock nj

esp ltd lynch baritone

jackson soloist with custom installed fernandes sustainer(awaiting arrival)

kxk six feet under v(awaiting build and arrival)

gibson les paul

gibson explorer

sansamp rack preamp

over $200 in cables

dunlp crybaby wah

carvin strat

schecter 7 string

2004 gmc sierra

satellite radio

custom rims and tires for the truck

about 15 emg pickups..2 seymour duncans

original floyd rose

new headphones for recording

traynor 50 watt head(one of the best buys this year)

2 vintage jensen 50 watt speakers

anyway...everything i buy is on impulse.

bc rich warlock nj

esp ltd lynch baritone

gibson les paul

gibson explorer

sansamp rack preamp

over $200 in cables

dunlp crybaby wah

carvin strat

schecter 7 string

2004 gmc sierra

satellite radio

original floyd rose

damn Wes, all that stuf fand you haven't finished that neckthru!!! Com'on! I want to see it, also that V that's supposed to get a new paint job!!!

Can't believe this crap, I know you just got "single" and this is why there is more $$$ flowing, ...so I did numbers, and if I turn single now, I will be in bankrupcy for the next 15 years!!!! I guess I will have to start saving from now to get my toys.

bc rich warlock nj

esp ltd lynch baritone

gibson les paul

gibson explorer

sansamp rack preamp

over $200 in cables

dunlp crybaby wah

carvin strat

schecter 7 string

2004 gmc sierra

satellite radio

original floyd rose

damn Wes, all that stuf fand you haven't finished that neckthru!!! Com'on! I want to see it, also that V that's supposed to get a new paint job!!!

Can't believe this crap, I know you just got "single" and this is why there is more $$$ flowing, ...so I did numbers, and if I turn single now, I will be in bankrupcy for the next 15 years!!!! I guess I will have to start saving from now to get my toys.

i had to quit building for a while.the wood dust and solvents were making me sick.

i don't know if i will ever be able to finish that neck through.i MUST finish my beast first.it is just too cool to leave in limbo forever

Man I wish I had enough money too impulse like that :D

I gotta get rid of this horriable habbit before I get a credit card B) If I had a credit card right now I think they would have too cart me off too jail :D It's the curse of the guitar player you know...

Like every guitar player I know is a totally crazy impulse buyer of guitar stuff...

Edited by Godin SD

Wes is Bill Gates!!

That sounds like half my yearly income spent in one go.  :D

hmm...well,it is almost 1/2 of my income as well...i just have low bills.i am a stickler for keeping my bills down,except where guitars are concerned.

but it is mostly on credit anyway...now i have to pay it all back :D

AMAZING!

HAHA I just knew I wasnt the only one (insert sarcasm)!! :D

Damn Wes, thats some serious FLOW!! I went to thoroughly test the 5150 after work today, and it is a block letter original, sounds beautiful. Now all I have to do is make some space!

Now that I have added this amp, I think its high noon for an A/B box and some more cables!!! :D

Lee, TRUE impulse-buying has nothing to do with money or lack of it. When you TRULY impulse-buy, you will lie, cheat or steal to own! THAT, my friend, is IMPULSE-BUYING! "Oh, I left my credit card in my other limo!" "That must be my balance before I made a deposit this morning!" "The owner said I could have it for half that but he's on vacation, right?" If you need any more, I got a billion of em.

another impulse buy today, was out tourin durin lunch at school and had a potential "lady freidn" with me, went into this mall and spent almost 100 bucks on earrings for her, :D man, i am whipped already!!

Curtis