Prs Knockoff

If Perry wants to prevent another Litch incedent then Perry should not come out of the gate insulting people. Nobody here wants to be insulted, nobody here deserves to be condescended to first thing. I couldn't care less if Perry was Paul Reed Smith and Mr. Alex was Ed Roman, he should still play nicely with the other kids.

Oh, I agree and I'm just tryin' to be a voice of reason. We all know Perry is a grouchy perfectionist and it's his way or the highway, always been, always will be. Nothing to see here, move along...

I'm curious to see how this Agathis monster turns out, anyway. Never heard anything good made from that wood so it should be cool if it turns out right.

Later taters, I'm going to go watch Wedding Crashers now :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Perry wants to prevent another Litch incedent then Perry should not come out of the gate insulting people. Nobody here wants to be insulted, nobody here deserves to be condescended to first thing. I couldn't care less if Perry was Paul Reed Smith and Mr. Alex was Ed Roman, he should still play nicely with the other kids.

Oh, I agree and I'm just tryin' to be a voice of reason. We all know Perry is a grouchy perfectionist and it's his way or the highway, always been, always will be. Nothing to see here, move along...

I'm curious to see how this Agathis monster turns out, anyway. Never heard anything good made from that wood so it should be cool if it turns out right.

Later taters, I'm going to go watch Wedding Crashers now :D

The problem with using "cheap" woods like agathis and poplar is that people see "oh, that's made with _________" and are automatically biased against it.

Personally, I'm of the belief that everything sounds good to somebody :D

wow this has gotten off topic-- ill be amazed if anyone reads this.

Is it possible the 2 week suspension thing was a joke???

Of course it was, but unless you put :DB):D:D after every line, people take it too seriously. As for the initial comment about prostitution, i stand by it. Its a standard, commonly used, slang saying.

B)

As for the initial comment about prostitution, i stand by it. Its a  standard, commonly used, slang saying.

:D

There's no excuse for insulting someone. ESPECIALLY if you're a moderator and have the ability to ban someone because you see fit.

In fact, you were rude to Sobot as well when he posted a poll in the in progress section. All you had to do was tell him you were moving it to a proper place. You didn't have to add that it was a useless poll and tell him to make up his own mind.

I also don't buy into letting people be rude because "that's just the way he is". Everyone is entitled to common courtesy. If you can't be, you should give up your moderator status.

You should just apologize for what you did and be done with it.

There's no excuse for insulting someone.  ESPECIALLY if you're a moderator and have the ability to ban someone because you see fit.

In fact, you were rude to Sobot as well when he posted a poll in the in progress section.  All you had to do was tell him you were moving it to a proper place.  You didn't have to add that it was a useless poll and tell him to make up his own mind.

I also don't buy into letting people be rude because "that's just the way he is".  Everyone is entitled to common courtesy.  If you can't be, you should give up your moderator status.

You should just apologize for what you did and be done with it.

Just in case you missed it the first time.

Jees-o, im on the 3rd page, and ive read about 3 posts on guitar building.

This sounds like a real nice build, i cant wait to see the pics of it. How deep a carve are you going to put on it. I asume it will be a wrap round TOM, or something simelar seeing as your going for a no frills build?

*** is happening, I go to sleep, wake up, and my thread is 3 pages of irrelevant bitching.

People please, calm! Perry, you can be a grade A jerk sometimes!

Kevan, can I start a new thread once I've got the pics?

Now, if you people read, I said my dad called and I can't use their workshop now till friday. I planned this build to a schedule that revolved around when the workshop is empty(I need to use the bandsaw, table saw, planer and mill, so I need a bit of space). My home workshop is the perfect size for me,IF I continue on the path of only hand powertools, but I'm not(I'm eying up a bandsaw and table saw).

Now I got a call not long after my original post, telling me that their customer had underestimated the number of plug installations needed to do(imported welders) and it was 3-4 days worth not 1 day. So most of the week, he will be away from his work, and under OSH rules I can't be there using machinery unsupervised(I'm only 16) and there is an inspector based next door, so his boss would come back from holiday, and have no business. So I will now be building it from friday, but it will give me time to glue wood up first(my kauri comes in 80"x9" boards) and finish making the routing templates(I'm chambering and all that).

I dont appreciate being compared to people like ed roman and litchfield.

And Fijian kauri ain't really that cheap anymore, stocks are declining so cost are going up, I scored this wood free, so I can keep cost down further for my friends.

And Perry, when you have problems and want to personally attack me, do it in PMs.

And I'd would hope, to have some progress pics by monday or tuesday.

Well said Mr Alex...and with regard PM's...exactly my sentiment (and I've said the same thing before on here) - it's about time dirty laundry was not aired in public on this forum...it's getting sickening, offputting and there is simply no need for rudeness..and if it's not stamped out, then it will keep coming back, have break then come back again..

As Brian always says - peace! Exactly..

Looking forward to the progress on this Mr Alex - good luck with the build - just start a new post anyway, I would, this one has lost it's plot...

i have to say that after the whole Drak and you know who thing, i really thought we were all past that type of thing and bitch'in was to be totally stamped out. I see that this isn't happening and i am very dissapointed. Lets nots jump the gun, you just leave yourself open to looking like a fool.

*** is happening, I go to sleep, wake up, and my thread is 3 pages of irrelevant bitching.

People please, calm! Perry, you can be a grade A jerk sometimes!

Kevan, can I start a new thread once I've got the pics?

Now, if you people read, I said my dad called and I can't use their workshop now till friday. I planned this build to a schedule that revolved around when the workshop is empty(I need to use the bandsaw, table saw, planer and mill, so I need a bit of space). My home workshop is the perfect size for me,IF I continue on the path of only hand powertools, but I'm not(I'm eying up a bandsaw and table saw).

Now I got a call not long after my original post, telling me that their customer had underestimated the number of plug installations needed to do(imported welders) and it was 3-4 days worth not 1 day. So most of the week, he will be away from his work, and under OSH rules I can't be there using machinery unsupervised(I'm only 16) and there is an inspector based next door, so his boss would come back from holiday, and have no business. So I will now be building it from friday, but it will give me time to glue wood up first(my kauri comes in 80"x9" boards) and finish making the routing templates(I'm chambering and all that).

I dont appreciate being compared to people like ed roman and litchfield.

And Fijian kauri ain't really that cheap anymore, stocks are declining so cost are going up, I scored this wood free, so I can keep cost down further for my friends.

And Perry, when you have problems and want to personally attack me, do it in PMs.

And I'd would hope, to have some progress pics by monday or tuesday.

Nobody actually compared you to Ed Roman.

Personally, I don't know enough about Kauri to know. But I know the second you say "agathis" people will tell you your guitar won't sound good. That's not true.

Personally, I don't know enough about Kauri to know.  But I know the second you say "agathis" people will tell you your guitar won't sound good.  That's not true.

Err, yeah, I musta misread somewhere, sorry bout that, it's pretty early round here(for me at least, and after 3 pages of bitching, its easy to get confused)

And I never said agathis till borge I think it was brought it up. Anyway there are 2 or 3 threads about the differences between agathis's, or should I say, agathi'. Yeah Asian agathis is rubbish, but I like the vitensis(fijian) its light and easy to carve, and I've got enough for 3 or 4 more guitars, so I'm not complaining about it. But obviously it's considered rubbish by people who are in the know. But thats just like pine, dang I've got a crumby lap steel I made one afternoon from scrap pine while waiting for some glue to dry, I didn't ever bother finishing the electronics cos it sounds so good acoustic.

check this out

ugly headstocks though

Thats the superior new zealand stuff, and its the wicked looking stuff dug outta swamps.

Those pickups are the best sounding I've heard (the guys neighbour put one in a plywood squier) :D

Personally, I don't know enough about Kauri to know.  But I know the second you say "agathis" people will tell you your guitar won't sound good.  That's not true.

Err, yeah, I musta misread somewhere, sorry bout that, it's pretty early round here(for me at least, and after 3 pages of bitching, its easy to get confused)

And I never said agathis till borge I think it was brought it up. Anyway there are 2 or 3 threads about the differences between agathis's, or should I say, agathi'. Yeah Asian agathis is rubbish, but I like the vitensis(fijian) its light and easy to carve, and I've got enough for 3 or 4 more guitars, so I'm not complaining about it. But obviously it's considered rubbish by people who are in the know. But thats just like pine, dang I've got a crumby lap steel I made one afternoon from scrap pine while waiting for some glue to dry, I didn't ever bother finishing the electronics cos it sounds so good acoustic.

Eh, no biggie. I basically said that if Paul Reed Smith and Ed roman were on this board, they'd still have to play nice. The comparison there was basically two people you wouldn't expect to play nice together. It was an analogy, maybe not the best one.

As far as Agathis goes. Lots of people say it sucks, but if memory serves, Ibanez actually introduced a more "upscale" model of a guitar (The AX, the LP Jr/SG knockoff) because several of their endorsers (John 5 and The Prodigy's Gizz Butt to be exact) loved the cheapie, agathis one so much.

So, you know, there's something for everyone.

I like the chrome on chrome pickup combo. Back to the PRS thing, Alex, have you worked out the neck angle and pickup plane?

The neck angle will be 5 degrees. And pickup plane, 2 degrees I think, its more what looks right when I carve it. I've been planning it a while, so I did figure all the details out, the papers are at the bottom of my tool box(HUGE cardboard box I use to take my stuff to my dads work) so I'm going by memory here.

thats cool. My preliminary drawings have a 2 degree pickup plane with the neck inline with that. I read that double cut LP jr's have about a 2 degree plane and I figured that would be about right. I was just gonna raise the neck up off the body a bit and leave it there. The PRS guitars I have seen appear to have the neck run parallel to the pickup plane. Who knows though. I think you are right though in that you can only plan so much. You have to anticipate adapting some things, especially on your first build of a new instrument. I need to get all my hardware before I actually lock into the dimensions. How thick of a back/top are you going for again? What type of bridge are you using?

How thick of a back/top are you going for again? What type of bridge are you using?

The body is 1-1/4" with a 3/4" top, after carving and sanding I expect the actual carve to be a little under 5/8", but we'll see.

I've got a gotoh tune o matic and stop tail for the bridge.

I just finished sanding the templates, so I've got 2 whole days with nothing to do(unless I break out the jigsaw)

The guitar is only based on a prs in the sense that the body and headstock templates came from a prs custom, the rest is all gonna be different for sake of keeping it simple, I dont have a planer, so body thickness will be off from prs dimensions, and the carve will be a little different probably.

As far as raising the neck off the body, I think thats more common in archtops, andt certainly looks more simple to do.

I'm not wanting to drag this out and Mr Alex sounds good for a build and I do hope it goes well mate sounds exciting! But I do also have to say that the word Whoring down here is just another expression commonly used by many people ( especially in Karratha! ). I'm not saying its right or wrong and will not be drawn into the whole he is right she is wrong thing... But it is a common term which you wont find usually anywhere else. Sorry in advance! :D But I dont think perry meant offence by it! And again I usually get my back up when perry gets agressive! :D

We don' take kindly to it in these parts(said with a thick southern accent).

I guess that's like if we(an american) called an aussie a "carpet munching sack of wet garbage." That's almost a complement here(nudge, nudge..not aimed at you, eddie). B)

Dude if my wife would let me I'd love to! :D

ah damn it now you went and editied yours I have to do the same... yknow what bugger it hahaha! I really do hope people find the funny side of all this! :D

Edited by eddiefletcher