Esp F Copy

well...i guess it's time to start showing some progress...

this is the guitar at the epoxy sealer stage

IM000065.JPG

i used the 2 part epoxy from home depot..the clear stuff...then i mixed it,added black dye and a little denatured alcohol to thin it,and applied it with a foam brush(disposable)

after this coat you see here i started to thin it more before applying...saved me alot of sanding.this stuff dries hard as a rock within one hour...so it is best to get it as level as possible during application

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks..oh..and before somebody asks...yes the two humbucker routs are different sizes...i am using a mounting ring at the bridge so i used a stewmac template for it,but i am direct mounting the neck to get the sound i am looking for,so that rout is super tight to the pickup...i also extended the set neck all the way past the neck pickup so that the neck pickup is surrounded almost all the way in maple......i just think the clean is better in maple

If you could post a tutorial or any tips for making an F, that would be sw00t.

well...it's just like any other guitar.the identical front and back carves are ridiculously easy to do...unexpectedly so.but maybe i am just awesome :D

you know..take your scale length,draw it out full size,surround it with an f body shape...get to cutting.nothing to it.

i am not much for cad...i am more comfortable in the stone age

Nice work Wes, looking great.  Isn't that black epoxy mix a mess though.. lol  Whenever I do a black epoxy I end up getting more on myself than the guitar..  :D

well i mixed the epox myself...but applying it is really easy and clean with those foam brushes...

sanding it...now that is messy.i get covered head to toe in epoxy dust

I love the F style so I won't take it easy on you, so you better step up to my expectancies or else!

i don't know what that means...i am the one that has toplay it when it's done...so i think my expecctations are a little higher than yours :D

Sweet man! I am getting ready to grain fill my mahogany tele body soon and I was thinking about going the epoxy rout. I never thought of the foam brush method. A couple of questions, how much epoxy did you end up using (how many tubes)? Also, how much does it need to be thinned?

You don't have to run a drill back through the holes after the epoxy hardens, do you?

after the finishing altogether i will...that's the best way to make sure it doesn't compress and crack the finish around the holes.

i never worry about the holes until i am completely finished...then i run a drill bit in on reverse

Looks better now. On question did the template for the bridge pup slided out while routing or is the position of the guitar in the pic? It looks as if the ear of the rout is smaller on the bass side then on the oposite.

I never thought about using epoxy that way, and the Stew Mac stuff is hard as nails and a B* to sand back. How difficult was for you?

Keep the pics coming

Choosing the right epoxy is critical in this process. Some epoxies harden rock solid, and are impossible tough to sand.....while others are designed to be sanded down.

West Systems Epoxy e.g. has perfect sanding capabilities. It was specially designed for this in the boat building world. (mostly these type of epoxies are not structurally as sound as the more tougher sanding ones.........so you won't see Composite airplanes and so being build with these kinda epoxies - at least not on structural components).

My impression is that Wes is using it as a grainfiller......so sandability must have been high on his list.