The 30-day 5a Quilt Tele

Drak

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I for one respect that kind of commitment to craftsmanship. PRS probably destroys more pieces of 5A in a month than Drak or any of us will ever see. C'mon, people, it's a chunk of alder with two pieces of paper glued to either side. Sure, the body was quality fabricated and good for 99% of the public, but this is all about the 1% who want something more than what you can buy off the rack.

I come to this forum to see works of art that are truly kick-ass in every sense of the word. Yeah, it's sad to see hours of work thrown on the scrap pile, but great artists know when to stop and start over. Maybe that body would have been an okay guitar with a couple cans of Krylon painted over the messed-up finish, but that's working Fender-style. Working Drak-style is a little bit different.

Okay, preaching is over. Go watch "The Agony and The Ecstasy" if you want to learn why Drak and other builders demand perfection.

What else are you supposed to do with a guitar that you aren't happy with? Put good time and money after bad? So what happens when its finished? You've got a guitar that you aren't happy with that you probably won't be able or don't want to sell. Why do that to yourself? If I were Drak, I'd at least use the wood as firewood. That is a great use for guitar projects gone wrong, in my opinion.

I'm finishing my first guitar, even though I made a big mistake. I'm trying to recover from it. I'm going to finish it for the experience of making a guitar, but if I'm not happy with it after its all done, I'm buring that sucker.

Well, I for one respect that kind of commitment to craftsmanship. PRS probably destroys more pieces of 5A in a month than Drak or any of us will ever see.

No, they have cut ONE guitar up on a DVD so everyone THINKS they have higher standards than they do. Fact is there is very little that could go wrong to warrant a PRS getting cut in half.... its all made by repetative CNC machines remember???

After looking at the painted pic, I think it is not to much a blame of the veneer. They will always tend to look flimsy, but with the light dye you were able to do, it was looking pretty deep. I think that the problem was with the sand back. You should have left it dyed and then just shoot the green barely on the edges, rather than as much as you did. Is the front done? It could still be saved from the WOD if the front is not done and you are able to paint it right, then just do the back a dark green, I think that the way it looked wasn't deserving to be dished out completely. if it was the front I would agree, being a veneer, but the back could laways be black and would be an awsome looking guitar anyday.

No, they have cut ONE guitar up on a DVD so everyone THINKS they have higher standards than they do. Fact is there is very little that could go wrong to warrant a PRS getting cut in half.... its all made by repetative CNC machines remember???

I've never seen a DVD showing them cutting anything up. A few months ago there was a discussion on the PRS forum where one of the members went on a tour of the factory with his group from Europe. According to him, he SAW the scrap bucket and the ruined guitars in it. Whether it's true or not, hey, it's the Internet, so maybe screwed up Customs become Standards after all, who knows?

My point is, and I'll reiterate, there are some people who will not, and quite frankly should not, tolerate work that isn't satisfactory or reduce themselves to giving away scrap to allow someone else to further butcher up and claim it was a "Drak-blemished special".

Stupid question:

What is WOD? I've tried to search, but it won't allow it because its under 4 characters.

My first guess was 'Wood-0-destructor' thinking drak has some weird cast iron medieval torture implement to turn guitar bodies into small wooden pigeons or something..

hell yea!

Hey I got an idea. Keep the WOD guitars and get poeple to smash them on-stage in a show!! Would at least give them a better ending :D

Or save them for bonfire night and create a pire and get some naked virgins to dance round it - a tribute to the guitar gods.

Btw, if your american you might not know what bonfire night is, here in the UK we celebrate it as the day that we foiled Guy Fawkes from blowing up the houses of parliment. The bonfire represents his execution (hung, drawn, quatered, and then burnt - just to make sure!)

End of history lesson. :-)

You guys DO know I didn't really WOD that body, don't you?

I'm just going to sand the veneer off and do something else with it, why, IT'S A PERFECTLY GOOD BODY!!!!!

hmm, have you been persauded to keep it afterall, or were you always going to keep it?

(this doesn't nessacarily mean you need to cancel the naked virgins!) :D

I think its time to construct my own, rather literal, WOD. Take a nice bit of privacy fence and set it up near the edge of the yard, with enough room for a chipper-shredderer behind it... xD nice little guitar-sized hole in it... sounds like a plan to me. Lternatively I could just build a giant brick fireplace outside and call it the Gaping Inferno of the Guitar Gods.... GIGG xD

Btw, if your american you might not know what bonfire night is, here in the UK we celebrate it as the day that we foiled Guy Fawkes from blowing up the houses of parliment. The bonfire represents his execution (hung, drawn, quatered, and then burnt - just to make sure!)

Well here in america bonfire night is ever night and is a celebration of beer and liquor and underage drinking, well at least until the cops bust it up. :D

I guess your day is a bit more educational, ours is just another excuse to get boozed up. :D