Super Thin Maple Wonder!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLY CRAP!! :D you did good work on that finish Godin and it's A good looking design B)

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 7 months later...

130.jpg

NOOOOOOOOO!!!! :D You must now drop EVERYTHING else your doing and fix and finish this one

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Wow....Ok so we are in a "wenge" battle right now but please remind me not to try and do battle with this one when it turns up in the GOTM !! ...

And i didnt even realise till i saw the pic of your that your just a kid !! make me sick i tell thee....sick !

Nice work fella.

Im getting frustrated i cant start building anything until i have my workshop...and that wont happen till my old mum buys a new house and lets me put one in her garden !...shoudl be later this year sometime.

Dan

...and that wont happen till my old mum buys a new house and lets me put one in her garden !...shoudl be later this year sometime.

Yeah, I solved this problem by just leaving my old mom and getting a wife. Of course, she sometimes try to act like my new mom, but that's just the way wives are. At least, this is my place, I do what I want. :D

Godin: seems to me that on most of your guitars you end up having problems with the neck --maybe you should slow it down a little?

But this is the best body shape you've come up with so far --very Rickish, I like! (reminds me a lot of Scott French's guitar too). In fact, the shape's so elegant, I can almost overlook that gaudy maple eye-candy. Still I think it'd look much nicer with a plain maple top.

You should definitely continue working with this shape.

Godin: seems to me that on most of your guitars you end up having problems with the neck --maybe you should slow it down a little?

Well if you look at the timeline of things all the necks I've built so far I have built a very long time ago, basicly when I just started building guitars. I had almost no experience back than. Thus they diddn't turn out perfect :D

Now however I have the experience I need to not make the same mistakes as evidenced by the mahogany neck going perfectly. Most of the mistakes I made on my previous necks we're fretting problems (ie, I diddn't dress the ends right and it was pretty ugly up close)

It was perfectly playable, I just thought it looked ugly because you could still make out the brown splotches on the back. and being the kind of person that I am, I can't live with anything that isin't -perfect-.

So when I say it had "neck issues" I was refering to cosmetic only.

ou should definitely continue working with this shape.

I was thinking of pulling the lower bout out a bit to give it some more wood behind the bridge. As it stands it seems a little bit squished and fat when you see it in real life. With that mod I think this could end up being a great carved top shape. Plus I'm not really sure how it's going to sound/sustain with it having literally NO neck joint. The neck is the same thickness up to the 23rd fret.

Edited by Godin SD

Yes I stripped off the finish. I was still using rattle cans back than and when I bought a spray gun I figued I'd strip off the old and one redo it with the gun.

When I finish it I think I'll go with an iguana green color insted of the tigereye/orange. I've been doing tests on the green and both colors look very very good, so I'm kind of undecided.

Edited by Godin SD

So when I say it had "neck issues" I was refering to cosmetic only.

ou should definitely continue working with this shape.

I was thinking of pulling the lower bout out a bit to give it some more wood behind the bridge. As it stands it seems a little bit squished and fat when you see it in real life. With that mod I think this could end up being a great carved top shape. Plus I'm not really sure how it's going to sound/sustain with it having literally NO neck joint. The neck is the same thickness up to the 23rd fret.

That's one of the tradeoffs with the Rick design --but the original guitar, the 325 had a short scale neck, I think that helped. With my 350, I find that the shorter body pulls the guitar to the right a bit --I end up with my elbow digging into my side at times when playing up the neck. On the other hand, my arm doesn't have to stick out as much when playing on the lower frets.

The way my 350 is built is I added an extension to the body to meet the neck, then continued the tenon into the body --I had no choice, the way the neck I bought was built. And my guitar had top-mounted toasters, so I could keep a long tenon. No problems with sustain on that guitar! Especially the neck pickup --the bridge position has less sustain, and I'm not sure why.

The thing is, the body on my current build has that same limit --there's not much wood behind the bridge. So I guess I just like designs like that...

For your body shape, I suggest going with a single pickup design next time--that way you can build in a nice long tenon.

...and that wont happen till my old mum buys a new house and lets me put one in her garden !...shoudl be later this year sometime.

Mickguard " Yeah, I solved this problem by just leaving my old mom and getting a wife. Of course, she sometimes try to act like my new mom, but that's just the way wives are. At least, this is my place, I do what I want. :D"

I knew as soon as i posted this that someone would presume i am still living with my mum...not so...bought my first house at 22 !!....but admit no i havent got me a wifey yet.

Funny thing is....i AM going to move back with my mother this year...long story...my "not so nice" step father and mother have finally decided to split....im desperate for my own workshop and to try and make a go of it with a small guitar building/maintenance/repair workshop...cant afford to pay my rent and do it so moving back with mum, getting workshop in her land and trying to get the thing off the ground ...once its hopefully ticking over will look to move into my own flat/appartment again ( or whatever you yanks call it)

Edited by Dan Salter

Especially the neck pickup --the bridge position has less sustain, and I'm not sure why.

Neck pickup always does - there far greater string movement as you get nearer to the centre of the vibrating string. That's why the neck pickup is usually set lower, and the brigde pickup wound a bit hotter to equalise the output.

• 1 month later...

Okay I finally pulled this project out of storage and started working on it. I already made a new neck and attached it to the body. This time I'm staining it in deep green insted of tiger eye. I'm talking to my painter and it looks like it's getting sprayed tomorrow. :D

I'll post some pics later after I stain it, and tomorrow after it's all buffed out and put together :D

Edited by Godin SD