Prs Style Bolt In Neck Help

From what I have seen, everything is essentially the same as the set neck excepth that they bolt it on. Nothing really that tough. You would need a special neck I suppose, they dont use a fender style neck if that is what you mean.

From what I have seen, everything is essentially the same as the set neck excepth that they bolt it on. Nothing really that tough. You would need a special neck I suppose, they dont use a fender style neck if that is what you mean.

since u have an idea of what im talking about could u elaborate on the details and what i would need to do . also what do u think of this as opposed to a crapy neck plate. http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts....On+Neck+Inserts

thanks

I would like to but I dont really know exactly what you are trying to do. Are you going to build the whole thing or just the body? You could just use standard ferrules like stewmac sells if you wanted to avoid the neck plate. You shouldnt have to attach the humbucker to the neck, just use pickup rings. You would need a neck with the same heel as the one in the picture. You also wont be able to use a standard neck pocket rout either. It all depends on how much work you want to do.

sorta i dont want the pickup attached to the neck though

I'm not sure there is any other way if you want something more than a bolt on, unless you take out the neck pickup altogether. Even most bolt on necks push right up near the pickup, so if you wanted something more it would have to go right through that pickup. I'm not sure but the actual screws for the pickup might go into the body not the neck but I could be wrong, but it would still be sitting on the neck heel. Try to find a picture of what you are talking about since noone seems to understand what you want. Jason

AHH man seriously I just can't stand read that stuff, it makes me want to go off topic and start bashing. A little full of himself don't you think, he is the person responsible for prs changing their heels, yeah freakin right, like anyone listens to what he has to say, let alone a major company, makes me laugh. Oh well you just can't avoid him he's everywhere!

Anyways the other members here will be able to help you, not I, I'm not that experienced, but I will say that I don't think you can do a set neck like that without having the neck at least go through the neck pickup, unless you move the pickup way down, which then it would no longer be a neck pickup I guess. There wouldn't be enough guitar attached to the neck to get it stable if you kept it above the pickup without bolts, plus like I mentioned above I think the pickups will actually bolt into the body wood not the neck wood, although the pickup itself will be sitting right on/in the neck wood, I wouldn't worry about that though. Anyways good luck and wait for better answers than mine or eds. Later. Jason

Extend neck tenon into pickup cavity, insert bolts, attach pickup. Why is this so complicated that it takes 16 posts to figure out what should be old hat by now?

BTW, there is no good reason to attach the neck pickup to the neck.

thanks. idont want the pickup attached to the neck. would bolt the neck in from the bottom? what type o screws wold i use the wood is thin on the exstension of the heel?Also any idea where i could get such a neck?

kinda off topic could i cut a 24 fret neck to make on like the prs neck?

thanks again

Again, that page has about 10 DIFFERENT things going on. Do you want to build a guitar? You're not being clear at all. You are NOT going to be able to use a Fender style neck and just cut it. You are going to need to build a neck (which I dont is your intention) or, order a custom neck. I would just go the Saga kit route.

Again, that page has about 10 DIFFERENT things going on. Do you want to build a guitar? You're not being clear at all. You are NOT going to be able to use a Fender style neck and just cut it. You are going to need to build a neck (which I dont is your intention) or, order a custom neck. I would just go the Saga kit route.

nah saga kit is out of the question lol wont look to nice next to my other guitars. heres exactly what im trying to build. a prs style bolt in neck(as pictured on the page i linked to).

the idea i had was to cut about 1/4" off the bottom of a strat heel and then glue a piece of the same type of wood only longer to form the exstension, like on the prs bolt in necks. would this work

nah saga kit is out of the question lol wont look to nice next to my other guitars. heres exactly what im trying to build. a prs style bolt in neck(as pictured on the page i linked to).

the idea i had was to cut about 1/4" off the bottom of a strat heel and then glue a piece of the same type of wood only longer  to form the exstension, like on the prs bolt in necks. would this work

Ok, here are the questions I think we need to know the answers to before we can help you.

1: Do you have a body this is already going onto? If so, what is it?

2: Are you intending to take a standard Fender neck and then just make it longer so that it extends further into the body of the guitar but has a shallower heel?

3: Do you realise that PRS don't normally use bolt-on necks, they use set necks?

4: Do you realise that if you're using a bolt on neck, there's not really much point extending the neck tenon further into the body, because you're not gluing it, and unless it's a REALLY snug fit, won't do anything for the tone?

5: Do you realise that it's really frustrating for us when people don't spell words properly? I hate to be a grammar snob, but seriously, it's like reading a text message on my mobile.

the idea i had was to cut about 1/4" off the bottom of a strat heel and then glue a piece of the same type of wood only longer  to form the exstension, like on the prs bolt in necks. would this work

Ok, here are the questions I think we need to know the answers to before we can help you.

1: Do you have a body this is already going onto? If so, what is it?

2: Are you intending to take a standard Fender neck and then just make it longer so that it extends further into the body of the guitar but has a shallower heel?

3: Do you realise that PRS don't normally use bolt-on necks, they use set necks?

4: Do you realise that if you're using a bolt on neck, there's not really much point extending the neck tenon further into the body, because you're not gluing it, and unless it's a REALLY snug fit, won't do anything for the tone?

5: Do you realise that it's really frustrating for us when people don't spell words properly? I hate to be a grammar snob, but seriously, it's like reading a text message on my mobile.

yes i have a body. the neck pocket has not been routed yet. ive actually decided to go with an epiphone special 2 neck as i was advised its a better neck then the one i was buying for $140 from stewmac. from the guy i bought the body (ebay)He will be routing the neck pocket for me and carving down the heel for me. anyone know the guy im talking about his names Dave and hes from michigan. he does pretty nice work from what Iv seen.

Supernova9, PRS do regularly use bolt-in necks on their bolt models.

Also, we've covered the spelling stuff. People do the best they can, this is a guitar forum, not a spelling forum. In my not so humble opinion, pointing out spelling errors can come accross fairly pompous.

Possum, you will have to build a body and neck from scratch or mod the heck out of an existing body and neck. The from scratch options are probably your best bet.

Also, I believe that the inserts you linked to are for acoustic guitar necks. Are you asking about using Ferrules instead of a jack plate, using threaded inserts with machine screws in the neck instead of wood screws, or both?

My personal choices would be the neck plate and the threaded inserts with machine screws, but I really like neck plates on bolt on guitars. :D

Also, we've covered the spelling stuff. People do the best they can, this is a guitar forum, not a spelling forum. In my not so humble opinion, pointing out spelling errors can come accross fairly pompous.

Possum, you will have to build a body and neck from scratch or mod the heck out of an existing body and neck. The from scratch options are probably your best bet.

Also, I believe that the inserts you linked to are for acoustic guitar necks. Are you asking about using Ferrules instead of a jack plate, using threaded inserts with machine screws in the neck instead of wood screws, or both?

My personal choices would be the neck plate and the threaded inserts with machine screws, but I really like neck plates on bolt on guitars.  :D

where can i get thread inserts and machine screws that will work with an electric?

My personal choices would be the neck plate and the threaded inserts with machine screws, but I really like neck plates on bolt on guitars.  :D

where can i get thread inserts and machine screws that will work with an electric?

woodcraft, rockler, those types of places.

the PRS bolton is just a neck that is about an inch and a half or so thick at the heel so it actuall rides under the neck humbucker. Doesn't have to except eht PRS has such a low cut horn for easy access there is no room for the heel otherwise.