Spaltosaurous

Drak

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a wall of guitars Drak. And then you can take a picture to display all your lovely guitars. Get 22 of them little wallhanger things and hang them all.

What an absolutely ridiculous EDIT waste of time, please don't post in these threads if that's all you have to say.

I build guitars to PLAY the EDIT things. I build the absolutely best guitars I can to get the most out of them when they're plugged in and being used as they should be.

I am NO builder of wall-hanger theme guitars. If YOU want to build guitars to hang on a stupid wall so you can take a picture of them all and be disgustingly ego-bloated about it, be my guest, but that's not my bag, and I find that so grossly bloated with ego-tism that I couldn't stand the thought. Please refrain from posting in this thread unless you have something to say/comment about the guitar in question.

Let me get this straight for those who need some clarification:

If you build guitars to do nothing but sit and admire them on a wall, I feel very sorry for you unless you are an ~artist~ who decided to do that on purpose. If so, very cool and more power to you, I can respect that if that's the purpose you had in mind to begin with and I would dig that Splendido Hotel baby.

But if you build guitars to simply stare at and satisfy your neglected ego, you are a sad case.

I have tools here that are over 40-50 years old, and they are some world class tools. Very simple and straightforward tools like hammers, chisels, etc, and I do not hang them on a wall to admire them, I admire them when I am using them, when they are performing their designated function, when I am USING that hammer to hammer something, and it hits home and doesn't slip off, etc...that's when I have admiration for that tool. Other than being used, it sits in a toolbox for all eternity, not hanging on a wall.

Guitars are no different to me. I do not ~display~ the guitars I have unless I'm USING them at that time to PLAY MUSIC with, to EXPRESS my musical ideas.

That's all they're good fer, they're tools just like a sweet hammer is a great tool.

A guitar is NOTHING but a tool for a musician to use to CREATE music with, that's IT AFAIC.

I would rather have a big wall pic of SRV jamming his ass off that to hang my own guitars on a wall, at least he's doing something with a guitar, the guitar is his TOOL, NOT a false GOD to be worshipped. I already have a God I believe in and no guitar looks like HIM.

Can You Dig This Baby?

Thank You. :D

Take that guitar worship stuff somewhere else man, it ain't my thang.

Edited by bluespresence

So, that would be a no for the photo op then?

Whatever you do, don't post pics of this (f-ing GORGEOUS) Tele over on that "other" site.  The site owner refers to spalted maple as "driftwood". 

(No kidding; I got banned over it.)

Stunning work, Drak.

Keep it up.

You got banned for posting a spalted guitar? :D

Drak, I think what Hunter was suggesting was 22 side by side wall hangers so you can store the 21 guitars you aren't currently playing in an aesthetically pleasing manner.

More specifically, I think he was asking (and if he wasn't, I am now) that you take a picture of all 22 so we can admire them while you're busy playing them. :D

I don't think anyone would dare suggest that a perfectly good guitar go unplayed... if I found out anyone here were building and then not playing their creations, I would personally "liberate" those guitars from such a cruel fate and give them to people who would actually use them. :D

A guitar is NOTHING but a tool for a musician to use to CREATE music with, that's IT AFAIC.

I don't quite agree; A guitar is NOTHING if it isn't a tool for a musician to CREATE music with, but it CAN definitely be more. A great guitar, IMO, is more than merely a musical tool. An ugly, unfinished body with a smooth playing neck, good setup and decent (but un-pretty) hardware can play wonderfully, sound heavenly, be a great musical tool, but not be a great guitar. Playability and tone are prerequisites for greatness, but aren't the only thing. The details, the carving, the ideas, the aesthetics, that's the place for artistry. Great guitars are, AFAIC, functional art, and that's particularly true of electrics where, since body shapes don't matter quite so much, there's a degree of design freedom that isn't readily available in acoustic instruments. Of course, the argument can be made that the visual, tonal and kinesthetic beauty of the piece are meant to inspire the musician to further greatness, but even so, I'd rather build a guitar that players and non-players alike can appreciate, and that players can pour their musical heart and soul into. That's when I'll feel I've succeeded fully.

Anyway, on topic: that's one sweet l'il instrument you got going there. Makin' me want to go ponder what to do with my half flamed/half spalt top, and get me s'more spalt!

Edited by mattia

Ouch, somone got rubbed the wrong way.

Drak, I've always dreamed of a room full of nothing but guitars and amps. Maybe once you've built your guitars, you can use those hard-won skills to add an addition on to your house. :D

Now back on topic somewhat, how hard is it to sand and level that Epoxy? Any tips?