Spaltosaurous

Drak

I've been working on this thing for about 3 months now I guess, finally got it to the finishing stage today, here it is with about 3 coats of clear on it, which I did today.

2-piece Alder body, there is also booked spalt on the back too.

Probably the most difficult guitar I've built yet, the spalt is 100% rot, it's so rotten it compresses like a sponge when you squeeze it, it was a true biyatch to get glued down, let me tell you.

Then I had to soak it, front and back, with CA glue, there's at least $20.00 worth of glue in this thing, probably more.

But I love it, I think it came out great for the trouble it has caused me hahaha!

Really looking forward to finishing this one and strappin' her on!

Let me know what you think.

I have enough boards to do another one, I would love to add an inlay into the next one, I think the color of this wood would look great with some of the inlay I got last week.

Body1.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time they get to this stage, there is no chance of a WOD hit, it's as good as done now...I decided to never show pics of guitars in progress again, you guys get all weirded out about it if something happens, so I'm just posting ones I know are out of the WOD range, and I will continue to personally enjoy the WOD carnage as I always have, but not show them anymore. :D

Hey someone should sell phenolic impregnated spalt. That would be a real time saver, to soak it and press it so you ended up with a solid, workable plank.

Nice work Drak, will you burst it? I think a real thin burst right around the edges would look nice on that, because the spalt is going all over the place, and I think it needs something to reinforce the outline of the guitar. Just my 2 cents.

Nice work Drak, will you burst it? I think a real thin burst right around the edges would look nice on that, because the spalt is going all over the place, and I think it needs something to reinforce the outline of the guitar. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you. :D

I had sort of considered a burst, and I sort of agree with you, except for the 'theme' of my guitars lately has been one of a 'natural' look, at least the Tele's, Tele's being associated with country music and all like that kinda thang, y'all knows what I means, so I have been trying to keep them as natural and 'organic' as possible, and Alder actually has a really nice look to it left natural, so probably it'll be left as-is.

Of course with me, anything is possible, and nothing is out of the question until it's buff-out time. :D

Nice looking spalt! I being looking at the ones Durawood have, but I'm not to fancy about it, I guess on teles and strats they will look too country for a guitar that Iwill own, but I will like to work on one just to get the experience! Got pics of the back? did you did the cover the same fashion that you normaly do? (with the scroll saw?) and if you did, do you have to use another piece of wood to give the spalt rigidity?

Theres a lot of stuff I want to do, but got no tools or desire (maybe time) but I'm soaking info like a junkie, as soon as I get back to Texas I will be getting realy busy!

Got pics of the back? did you did the cover the same fashion that you normaly do? (with the scroll saw?) and if you did, do you have to use another piece of wood to give the spalt rigidity?

Not yet, but I will a little later on.

No, I could not cut out the rear like I usually do, the spalt is completely unstable and would have ripped to pieces and self-destructed if I tried that.

I AM contemplating taking another piece from the same wood and sanding it down very thin, to veneer thickness, and gluing it to a standard plastic rear plate to get more or less the same effect...still thinnin' that one over.

Not all spalt is this rotten, this is as rotten as you can get, but I have a few others that are spalted, but are very solid and hard, and others that are primarily hard with a spalted section in them...each piece is different like that...

Here is an example of another spalted body. The center is hard as any Maple you ever saw, the outer sections still pretty firm, but the upper corners were falling apart. I actually tried to save the pieces for those sections, but they were toast.

I didn't have some cool grand plan to fill those areas in with blue epoxy, it was just more like 'I gotta do something to save this, I'm not throwing this thing away', so I just came up with the dyed epoxy thing, it was the 'accident of nature/necessity is the mother of invention' kinda thing here...

Gorecki, you reading this? :D

Mockup-3.jpg

That blue epoxy would be great with some turquoise inlays like on the last guitar thorn threw on here, or binding. I know that might take it away from a traditional tele look but I think it would match well and look pretty cool. Also thats a very cool spalt, and after seeing that guitar I realized how well birdseye would go with spalt! Very cool man. Later. Jason

Edited by jmrentis

Here's what you do. (maybe it's been suggested/done before) Take some rotten spalt like you have there, and go ahead and remove some of the soft spots at random. Then inlay them (like your blue epoxy areas for example) so it looks like molten pearl is blistering through like lava rock. If you did it right, it would look as if the pearl was left behind like scar tissue as the wood's wounds opened up. I know that's gross sounding, but its the only way I can describe it.

Drak,

I find all of your truly inspirational. There are a few members here that really make me strive to push what I think I am capable of and you are one of them. As always this project is breath taking. Please continue to create and inspire.

On another note, (and I know this is probably a stupid question but) what does "WOD" stand for and is there any reason that all of your projects are Tele's.

Spalt-tastic!

My girlfriend was in the room when I was looking at the pic on the first page, and she said, "Oh, I LIKE that!" and she's not usually enthused about geetars.

Guess I'll have to splat it up some day. :D

Greg