New Myka

Guest AlexVDL

HOLY CRAP!! Pardon my French... that is the most beautiful RG model I have ever seen!!! Stunning woods and amazing color! The wood pickups covers are magnificent... I usually don't react like this about a guitar, but this must be the nicest guitar I have ever seen!! I want one!!!

:D:DB)

SLICK!! :D that is one of the coolest things If seen in A while

Just A few thing i dont like (Just my eye's)

First I dont like where the body meet's the neck it looks off side and it does not really flow from on to the other, also that headstock to me really does not work with that body style on it's own It's great

Dont get me wroung I love this thing :D

!!METAL MATT!! B)

not to disrespect anyone on this board but his stain work is unreal. I have been a fan since I saw him on the other forum a couple of years ago.

whats even better is that he is just as nice as his work.

I love his 2nd quilted maple guitar the one that looks like a nuclear bomb went off on it.

Thats my favorite color on any guitars. Brown base with that orange tiger flame.

This is the coolest one: http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/009/default.htm

That's one gorgeous instrument, and, as usual, features beautiful detailing! Absolutely stunning staining. I'm not wild about RGs/pointy guitars, so it's not my favourite of his, but it's a beautiful instrument. David's the guy who's convinced me to leave my little 'no stain' obsession by the wayside, and start experimenting seriously with stains. The tiger eye stain is something I've been in love with since I first saw it on a PRS, many moons ago, but for me, it's this one that pushed me over the edge: http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/025/default.htm

As a friend of mine said: "I don't play guitar, but I'd learn just to be able to play that one". It's also specced very similarly to the personal guitar I've been planning for a while now (quilt top, P-90s, wood covers, rosewood neck, tiger eye stain, but chambered and with a wraparound bridge).

Hope he doesn't mind me sharing.

Not at all. You beat me to it!

Thanks to everyone for all the great comments. This guitar is a new style for me. There are a few things about this guitar that are very custom. In my client's words the ideas was to...

copy everything I loved from every guitar I have ever had (petrucci neck, '89 PRS CE sound, inverted input jack, piezo, 5-way wired my way, string through the body, ect).
The headstock was a request and the more I look at it the more I like it. Considering the original idea it fits it pretty well.

The guitar plays great and the tone is awesome. Wicked crunch tones from the bridge and some extreme tonal variation from my 10 way setup (5-way plus series/parallel option). The guitar will be a killer in the right hands. I look forward to the recording with this one. It's a shred machine.

The pickup covers are my client's idea. They are humbuckers and they are also totally removeable, adjustable, and just plain cool. I made them to be the size of a humbucker mounting ring with the center romoved. The pickup screws to the underside of the cover and the screws mount through the cover into inserts in the body with springs for adjustability and stability. It is a high tension fit. I love these and will use them again. It just adds some serious class to a humbucker guitar. Thanks for the idea Adam!

I will have some more pics of some new stuff in a couple weeks. I have 2 Dragonfly guitars and another tiger eye classic with a Stetsbar coming up (this one is a plain rock and roll solidbody with a nod to all the Harley fans out there). Then I get to finish up a pair of Dragonflies that will be a little different...

~David

RGGR, I got the knobs here at StewMac. From inside the knob I drilled into the pearl (not all the way throgh the pearl just through the brass) and then used a piece of metal to push off the pearl. It comes off in pieces and you have to clean it up a bit but it works. The maple inserts were finished and buffed before being glued in.

Also...I've seen this before, but I've never understood why you'd want locking tuners on a non-trem guitar.

You don't have to have a trem to take advantage of the locking tunners! It will help maintaing the guitar in tune better than reg tunners by keeping the windings to a barely minimum. There are ways to string a guitar that will prove as good as a locking tunner, but it is a lot easier with the lock ones!

RGGR, I got the knobs at StewMac. From inside the knob I drilled into the pearl (not all the way throgh the pearl just through the brass) and then used a piece of metal to push off the pearl. It comes off in pieces and you have to clean it up a bit but it works. The maple inserts were finished and buffed before being glued in.

Ahaha.....I had discovered these StewMec ones already and figured I could use them as base, in case you had yours custom made.

Well...you did.....but according my back-up plan. :D

I think it's pretty cool the way you integrated them into this guitar. Amazing work.