How's This Design?

heurh.jpg

I was initially going to do a traditional hollowbody but I realized I really need to do something that won't be a pain in the ass for me to play. It's a very Klein/Teuffel inspired shape, obviously. I have a proto body hacked out of some pine. Balances wonderfully. I'll do another prototype body to full scale (this one's a bit smaller than the dimensions of the model) in a few days.

I REALLY like it. I've never heard of Klein/Teuffel, but it reminds me a lot of Johnny Winter's Erlewine Lazer guitar, but with a really cool twist or two.

It's hard to come up with a new design that hasn't either been done before or looks so different to the point of absurd, but I really like the look of this.

I say build it, I can't wait to see it 'for real'.

Only constructive criticism I would offer is that I would align the controls with the lower body sweep, more like a V, but that's just me, you do what works for you.

Lookin' good! :D:D

Reminds me a little of the Fernandes Nomad...I like it. Don't know how comfortable it'd be playing sitting down though.

I know you're planning on going headless because you're worried about the weight of the tuners throwing things out of whack. But I'd consider a tight headstock in the vein of the Nomad anyway...

I have some video of Lou Reed playing Heroin with the Klein...

I agree with Drak that those knobs are in the wrong place....why not tuck them into the side of the guitar, in one of the curves at the back?

It looks like and acoustic instrument of the mediaval times! The lines flow so I think it is OK, not to my liking but as long as you are happy with it its all that matters. Do you plan on using a neck pup? Because it looks like you would run out of space unless you angle it or add a bit more wood to that area!

It looks like and acoustic instrument of the mediaval times!  The lines flow so I think it is OK, not to my liking but as long as you are happy with it its all that matters.  Do you plan on using a neck pup? Because it looks like you would run out of space unless you angle it or add a bit more wood to that area!

the instrument your reffering to is a lute i believe.

ALRIGHT! Thanks for all the encouraging comments. B)

american_jesus: AH! That's the one I was thinking of! Yeah, there's definitely some Moderne in there.

Drak: Check out the Teuffel Tesla and Kleins.

idch: Unfortunately, I think the tuner issue will depend on my financial situation when I get to that point. $200 is a bunch to drop when I have spare tuners and ToM bridges laying around. If I do a headstock, I'll probably go with a mega-compact 3x3 thing... classical style, maybe? :D

Maiden69: The pickup layout will be fine. Trust me, I've octuple measured that based on several of my guitars already. It made my head hurt. "There's NO WAY two pickups are gonna fit there!" The tape measure says otherwise. :D It looks like there isn't much room, but I used the outside dimensions of the pickup surround and not the pickup itself. I won't use surrounds on the final guitar. I hate those things.

Sit and play comfort? It's designed purely for that. This is a case where form follows function to an absolute degree. I can tell from the prototype (that's code word for "POS I bandsawed the piss out of") that it sits at the right angle for me and it's just a matter of getting it to sit in the right place on my legs. The model above does that by being a bit wider.

As for the knobs... I had them in a triangle configuration, actually. It did look nice but the layout will have to wait until I get all the other details finalized. I'll default to the triangle layout if it fits right. I can't tuck them into the side because... well.. it's kinda thin. The upper edge is only 1/2" thick. the lower bout is 1-1/2" (thank you, construction grade pine, for those dimensions).

Might as well post an example:

heurh_02.jpg

The only question I have is... where the hell am I gonna put the output jack? :D

Random comment: Rhino's fillet SUCKS. That is all.

Edited by Black Mariah

idch: Unfortunately, I think the tuner issue will depend on my financial situation when I get to that point. $200 is a bunch to drop when I have spare tuners and ToM bridges laying around. If I do a headstock, I'll probably go with a mega-compact 3x3 thing... classical style, maybe? :D

Oh I like headstocks, think guitars look silly without them. Basses look all right, but not guitars...

I suggest working with an idea like the Nomad's fernandez_nomad.jpg

Maybe not as extreme, and you could go for a 4 + 2 config, but I think it could be adapted to flow well with your design...

Am I right in thinking you're planning to make the actual guitar out of pine? I don't think it's worth the bother --tonewood isn't that expensive, and you could go with ash or maple to get enough weight in the guitar. Unless you've got a difference species pine?

As for the jack --that'd be easy enough to fit into the smallest curve at the bottom...you can line your knobs up along that curve on the top, as Drak suggested.

Believe it or not, Pine bodies are all the rage right now on some of the Telecaster forums.

The very very very very first Teles (Esquires) were made of 1.5" Pine, and someone caught on to that fact, and it's quite a fad going on right now.

Not saying I would do it, but Pine bodies are acceptable it would seem.

Recessed into the back! Good idea. You guys win a snacky cake.

The first few bodies will be made of pine so I don't go wasting more expensive wood while figuring out all the technical issues that will definitely come up. The final one will most likely be swamp ash to keep weight down. I might do one in mahogany too, just to have that tonal variety. Who knows? gotta get one finished first.

I have a couple of extra Kahler locknuts that will hold a ball end just fine. I have a couple of extra ToM's that will hold the strings up just fine. All I really need is something to tune the strings with.

Stay with me on this one... Just thinking out loud...

Friction pegs, mounted in the body behind the bridge.

Yeah, I'm a damn weirdo. But how cool would that look? :D I have some acoustic endpins that would work perfect. The string tension would be as much of a problem as you think because I've recently started using very light gauge strings to help out with some wrist problems I have. I mean REALLY light. I use 10's tuned to C#.

I need a milling machine. That way I could just machine my own damn tailpiece and be done with it. :D

would it be practical to use gearless tuners (steinberger or lsr) on a floyded guitar? or is that just a waste of money seeing as floyds use fine tuners anyway

Yes, it's quite practical. They're really no different than regular tuners on a Floyded guitar.

Pseudo-progress is being made. I haven't been able to get to the hardware store to pick up some wood, but I got incredibly bored and started building with whatever scraps I had laying around. This thing is going to be UGLY. But it's still just a proto, so no problem. :D

The back is 1" pine, and the sides are a solid piece of 1" pine I cut the center out of. The top is made out of three pieces of 1/4" poplar a friend bought at an arts and crafts store for a couple of bucks. So. Damned. Ugly.

I'm going to rig up some kind of classical style headstock to cram some tuners on. The weight worries me, but I'll deal with that later. It's moving along, slowly.

Yeah, poplar can eat me. I've dealt with some stanky woods over the years, but this poplar crap is the first to send me from 0 to rough lungs in about 20 seconds on the belt sander. This stuff is NASTY. :D The top's on now. I just have to trim the excess. I'll do that with the router tomorrow. I cut a vaguely "cat's eye" soundhole in the top. Scroll saws SUCK, I don't care what anyone says. :D

This thing is UGLY. So very, very ugly. I'm definitely going with this same hollow construction style for the real one though. I'm thinking a mahogany back with a swamp ash top. I likes me some swamp ash. B)