Guitar Making School

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha, it took 12 months of advertising.............. :D

200x "hey, i know ALL the details are in the brochure, and you've thought of every question i could have possibly asked no matter how stupid and ridiculous, but.... i have to ask one question... will we actually be making a guitar?".................

and 50x "im definately in dude, you can count on me, im as keen as can be about doing the course, woo hoo, dont start it without me, OMGFFSTIGTBGBBQAMP, bla bla" people...........

and an amazing 12x people who promise "the deposit is in the mail dude, OMG this is exciting"...........

before the final FOUR came up with the deposit and had the canhoona's big enough to give it a go.

:DB)

Edited by rhoads56

haha, it took 12 months of advertising.............. :D

200x "hey, i know ALL the details are in the brochure, and you've thought of every question i could have possibly asked no matter how stupid and ridiculous, but.... i have to ask one question... will we actually be making a guitar?".................

and 50x "im definately in dude, you can count on me, im as keen as can be about doing the course, woo hoo, dont start it without me, OMGFFSTIGTBGBBQAMP, bla bla" people...........

and an amazing 12x people who promise "the deposit is in the mail dude, OMG this is exciting"...........

before the final FOUR came up with the deposit and had the canhoona's big enough to give it a go.

:D  :D

Reminds me of the guy that says "hey, if you let me buy that guitar I'll pay you next week". Or one I'm sure you hear a lot...."I want this and that, etc, etc, etc and if you get me a quote I'll put some money down and we can get going". Yeah, right! About one out of 100 does that.....business is fun!!

Even so, it's better than working for someone else. I can't wait until these are done. BTW that guys headstock shape looks VERY familiar..... B)

$1600 Aussie dollars.

Wow, that's about $1400 :D . Not a bad price at all compared to other instructional courses I've seen, not to mention you and your guys seemed to cut through the 'philosophical' BS and get right into building. Good work, too!

Wish we had stuff like that here in the UK. They don't happen too often at all. If I get a lot better when I'm older, and when I've been building for like 20 years or more, I'd definately set up a school or something like that.

I'm currently attending an HNC course in fretted instrument construction in Manchester, and I plan to do HND next year. It does happen in the UK  :D

Manchester? :D I'll have to keep an eye out in a few years time. One in manchester would be fantastic. Doesn't take long to get there on the X43 at all.

Edited by Calum_Barrow

I'm currently attending an HNC course in fretted instrument construction in Manchester, and I plan to do HND next year. It does happen in the UK  :D

I've applyed to do guitar making and repair at Merton College in london next year, could you tell me what college your doing your course at

The more places i apply to the merryer.

Their guitars are looking damn good. :D

Edited by ~john~

Manchester? :D I'll have to keep an eye out in a few years time. One in manchester would be fantastic. Doesn't take long to get there on the X43 at all.

www.mancat.ac.uk

I looked at Merton College - the facilities are very nice, and the staff seemed very pleasant too. However, the course recently changed, and now focuses exclusively on classical guitar construction.

If this is something you're interested in it would be a great place to go, but I was more interested in the steel string building, and the repair aspect, so decided against it.

I've applyed to do guitar making and repair at Merton College in london next year, could you tell me what college your doing your course at

No sh*t?

I've (re) applied for merton.

I was accepted last year, but decided to finish my current cousre first.

Might actually go this time...

No sh*t?

I've (re) applied for merton.

I was accepted last year, but decided to finish my current cousre first.

Might actually go this time...

Hope to see you there,when did they start interveiws for the course last year then?

Craft supplies do week long courses in buxton for acoustics and electrics a couple of times a year. I was thinking about doing one of these when i started but didnt have the cash. So i taught myself instead. I have since shown 3 or 4 people and keep thinking i should be charging for the service.

• 4 weeks later...
I looked at Merton College - the facilities are very nice, and the staff seemed very pleasant too.  However, the course recently changed, and now focuses exclusively on classical guitar construction.

If this is something you're interested in it would be a great place to go, but I was more interested in the steel string building, and the repair aspect, so decided against it.

where in London? is it near any tube estation? and last question? would the allow me to use their installations to build me a guitar? or i have to be part of the school?:D thanks

I looked at Merton College - the facilities are very nice, and the staff seemed very pleasant too.  However, the course recently changed, and now focuses exclusively on classical guitar construction.

where in London? is it near any tube estation? and last question? would the allow me to use their installations to build me a guitar? or i have to be part of the school?:D thanks

Its in morden, 10 minutes walk from Morden tube station.

http://www.merton.ac.uk/content.asp?id=10

I think you would have to be going to the college to use their stuff, just for insurance reasons.Alot of places are like that.