2 Guitar Problems I'm Experiencing

Buckethead

Hey I'm still a beginner at guitar, and i'm having problems with 2 things.

1) I play some pieces of music where i'm using my first 3 fingers to fret a solo, but then the next fret requires a bend, which I can't perform with my little finger. My question is: were you supposed to be able bend using your little finger? and if so, what are some tips on how to.

2) I can't pick properly.

Instead of how you were supposed to kinda anchor on da bridge and span your little finger by the volume knob, I clench my fists as though i'm gonna knock someone out, and pick like that, can someone give me tips on how to pick properly, because even though I try, I can't adapt to the proper style.

Well, I'm moving into the intermediate beginner stage, so here's what I know:

1). You use your pinky to fret the note--the bend is actually performed by the third (and second) fingers. They do most of the work. It's the same when bending with the third finger--the second is helping out.

2). A lot of people think it's a no-no to anchor your finger, so I don't think that's a worry.

I tend to grip into a fist too, but I've found that loosening up my fingers a bit really helps in terms of tone, attack and accuracy. But I still don't fan my fingers all the way out like a lot of players do.

Like anything else, it's a matter of practice and concentration--you can convince your fingers to do what you want them to, you just have to work at it.

Well, if you look at my forum-name, you know where I am gonna go. I have a death grip on the neck and the pick! I ALMOST never bend with just my pinky but it isn't that hard as long as your pinky is pointed ACROSS the neck instead of at the normal(like there is such a thing) 40 degrees or so. Most of the time my second and third finger are helping with the bend. I only anchor my right hand by letting my wrist rest on the bridge/stoppiece. My new guitar is a real problem because there is not a lot of room to do that. You will also find that there are lots of places and ways to "plant" or get a physical reference point for your picking. Most of the guys I play with use the top/right part of the body to rest their forearm on. Hang on to the pick for dear life if it works for you.

Instead of how you were supposed to kinda anchor on da bridge and span your little finger by the volume knob, I clench my fists as though i'm gonna knock someone out, and pick like that, can someone give me tips on how to pick properly, because even though I try, I can't adapt to the proper style.

Well, if its good enough for hetfeild...

Probably the best way to bend with your pinky is to fret the note with your pinky, then use your ring finger to do the actual bend. Also, try bending by turning your wrist rather than pushing. Think of the motion as one you would use when twisting a door knob.

As for your grip... out of curiosity, what thickness pick are you using? You may wanna go down to a thinner pick for awhile until you get used to picking. It sounds like you are afraid of dropping the pick. With a thinner pick, you won't have as much resistance to picking and therefore you will be able to relax your grip a bit.

Hope some of this helped.

It's extremely good that you are asking about picking technique! There are way too many shredder type quys with no right hand development, which is fine until you turn the distortion pedal off or pickup an acoustic.

There is no absolute one way of hand placement and picking. Most often the biggest concern is to not doing something limiting or harmful (carpel tunnel or tendonitis).

A ‘Death Grip’ however is rarely appropriate. This suggests tension and it’s difficult to play relaxed and/or controlled in a ridged state. Also, without that relaxed grip, you’ll wear yourself out for no reason. Hard music doesn’t have to be played hard to sound hard.

For single note work:

The pick grip is preference based. I hold them fairly traditionally, between the thumb & index finger.

Alternate picking practice is essential.

Flipping the wrist, I’ve found I have the most control with a rigid wrist, if you start playing very fast phrases, you’ll see the benefit of a rigid wrist, but again not all will agree with me.

Picking style, I use my three remaining fingers to act like a guide over the strings being anchored on the pick guard or body. They keep the height of the pick off the strings consistent and float up and down the guard / body as the rigid wrist moves up/down, sort of like a record needle.

Right hand placement is again preference based. I use two, for Les Pauls and acoustics, I rest on the bridge and pick from behind it. On strat styles and related, I rest near or in front of the bridge and pick from in front of it.

My 2 1/2 cents (you got a free upgrade) :D

Lots of people anchor their pinky on a pickup ring or something for muscle memory etc. so its easier to hit the right strings. Which is all fine and dandy provided that you can still do everything else ok, Dave Mustaine did it for years and I don't recall too many people complaining about how bad of a guitar player he was (except larrs :D )

Thanks guys, I'm usually using heavy .88 picks, i can fluently use the alternate picking technique, so don't worry about that.

.88's heavy??? :D You need some Jazz III's.

According to Mel-Bay, the "right" way to hold the pick is between the thumb and the top joint of the index finger... You sit it on the topside of the finger, and then hold it in place with your thumb.

It's important that your arm bends at either the wrist or the elbow, but keep your actual hand rigid.

If you notice that your technique changes when you play fast or slow, then there is somwthing wrong with your picking.

Most importantly, don't hurt yourself! :D

Gorecki said it pretty well. There are a lot of ways to do it and practice with a given style you find comfy will make you a better player. There is no right method. The rigid wrist that mandolin players and fast-strummers use works for some and not for others. I quit dropping picks all the time when I quit using my fingers to make part of the strum and let my wrist do most of the moving. Is that about as clear as bush's foriegn policy? I hope not. Foriegn policy does not ROCK! :D

Gorecki, you sound like my kind of player. However only listen to Mel Bay if you want to sound like Mel Bay. I am not saying that is what you said or meant. That is just an observation. My uncle made me try playing with my fingers, a business card and a poker chip. Each attempt made me see as you said there is no "right" way for anybody. I am glad that I can now play when I drop my pick and there is cardboard all over the top of my Jackson. Business cards don't last long but they are cheap. Try to find someone's card printed on that thick plastic, like a credit card. They ROCK! :D

the way i see playing guitar is all about personal preference. if something is comfortable for me, then i play it that way. my friend has been giving me a hard time the way i do power chords...he does his with an octave, i leave the octave out because i think it sounds weak.

but to answer your question, i agree with primal

I'm not saying anything here was wrong - just an observation:

I noticed that many people who learned to play on a fixed bridge guitar tend to rest their picking hand on the bridge. These people (the ones I have talked to), have had big problems going to a trem equipped guitar. They almost always end up detuning the guitar and blame the trem for their problems. None of the people I know are willing to use a trem because of this. (they also slam trems for other reasons but that's another story/trend :D )

I grew up using the method someone mentioned above - using a pickup or pickup ring to rest my pinky on - just for location reference. It's not something I have to think about - my finger just finds it automatically. I'm guessing this is true for most trem born players. Maybe one benefit to this is that I have no problems using a fixed or trem style bridge. Maybe it's not important at all.

Again, I'm not saying any one technique is right or wrong. Just an observation.

As for the bending, once in a great while I will bend using my pinky but it's very rare for me. I like to switch to my ring finger when possible.