7 String Les Paul

You wouldn't believe how much my friend would envy you. He wanted that Les Paul a lot.

I don't like the colour, and I wouldn't choose a 7 string (cause I'd NEVER use it), but i think you got yourself a nice guitar for a nice price too.

Edited by Calum_Barrow

From the pics, that looks like a great deal. At first, I was expecting a plywood body or something for that price. What's the catch? Is there something wrong with it or what? If not, you scored!!!

It appears they were only made in 2000 and haven't been since so I would tend to believe a used Epi LP style isn't going to bring in top dollar even if it is a seven?

From the pics, that looks like a great deal. At first, I was expecting a plywood body or something for that price. What's the catch? Is there something wrong with it or what? If not, you scored!!!

7 strings don't sell too well on eBay, and especially the Epiphone Les Paul ones. They should increase in value as the years go by, as they were only made for one year (I think).

-Sweet Epi you have there. It should be a solid mahogany body. The top is a veneer. Still looks sweet though. And they only came in trans black and vintage 'burst. I have an Epi serial # program and here's what it says about your new baby. Congrats again.

"Your guitar was made at the

Unsung Plant, Korea

May 2001

Production Number: 3517"

L8R,

Matt D.

Since when do Epis (non-masterbuilt) have solid mahogany bodies and solid maple tops? I thought they were all nato/alder backs with alder/maple veneer tops for the last 20 years.

Those pix will fool you. He took them on a red backdrop that reflects off the back and sides of the guitar to look like solid and cleared mahogany. For 275 pounds it looks like you got a good deal, at least.

I will look as a solid piece of mahogany because it has a thick mahogany veneer on the back! on mine is 2 piece mah veneer. They apply a venner on the sides and the back and sides of the headstock and neck.

Here you can see that my body is Korina instead of alder or mahogany

DSC02324.jpg

Here if you look close to the neck joint at the body you can make a bit of the mahogany veneer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02330.jpg

And here you can clearly see the mahogany veneer at the back and if you look close you can see the line of what is another veneer at the sides of the headstock

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC02334.jpg

As soon as I get working on the rest of it, I will post an inprogress pic to show what the top is actualy! I think that it is completely korina, because it sounds very dark, compared to a maple cap with a flamed veneer. I will be accentuating the carve on this one to look a lot more like a PRS and altering the headstock too. I was going to make a neck for it, but after dresing the frets, I desided that it will be a keeper.

Now back on topic. That is a great find!!! I payed $459 for this one, I would never get an 7string LP, since I'm having a hard time accesing the higher frets on this one! Good luck, and one word of advice, loose the pickups and get EMGs, DiMarzio or Duncans, you will be making that guitar a favor! The factory are OK, but once you change, the guitar will come alive!

Are you kidding me....1.68" nut width on a 7??!! (Goreki's link) That doesn't sound right, the strings would be this--><--close together.

Nice guitar, I think you got a good deal for a UK purchase. The Gibson website says the Epi standards (the set-necks now....not the bolt-ons...) are "alder/mahogany" but what does that mean? Alder-mahogany ply? Alder core & mahogany caps? I also think the maple is a veneer.

Dani I think you got a good deal. Once you get it, pull out the pickups and lift the control cover, have a good look under the hood and tell us what you find.

And let us know if that nut width really is 1.68" (or 42.6 mm in metric).

I have a 90's epiphone les paul standardand its definately mahogany with a thick maple cap. The back is about 6 peices of mahogany, its not a veneer cause you can see the wood all around the edges. The top is normal thickness maple covered with a thin flamed veneer. You can see the thickness of the maple under the binding in the cutaway, like on proper old gibsons. I have also checked by stripping away the finish in the pickup holes.

-I have a Epi Les Paul Classic that's a mahogany body with an alder top, laminaterde with quilted maple. From my understanding Epi's are usually alder for the solid black, and mahogany backs/alder tops for the 'bursts with either a flame or quilt veneer. Mine also has a two piece back and roughly a 3 or 4 piece top. I still like it though. I pulled the Epi electronics and replaced the p'ups with DiMarzio Virtual PAF's. A bit lower powered, but sweeter sounding.

th_48c07fa0.jpg

L8R,

Matt D.

Well, I finaly got to work on the Epi briefly on the weekend. The body is a 4 piece (white limba is my best bet) it is not alder since it has big pores like mahogany, and it is yellow like my basswood kelly! I removed the binding and it looks like the top is a 3 piece maple cap, but as thin as they could make it. It ends about 1mm under the edge of the binding! I was hoping for a bit more to finish it natural, but the top didn't survivce the carve. As of now it is siting with a carve close to what the Tremonti PRS SE looks alike. I got no pics here and I have been trying to post in the last 5 days but I can't open the site in my house! I don't know why?

I painted it a flat brown, reminds me of chocolate. It is the same brown that is used for camo vehicles, looks very nice, but this is a temporary finish, until I get my spray set up. Well let you guy until later, I will make a new thread as soon as I can load up some pics from my house!

Not here! When I get back (about 7 months), that's unless I end up in Germany or Italy by the summer. I'm not sure if they might have one here! I know were they paint the vehicles, but that place is a huge bay full of dirt with this big "portable" over spray catcher. The paint that we use is HIGHLY toxic, more than 2 part poly! I con't know if you can research it in google, look for CARC paint (chemical agent repelling coating) very nasty stuff... when it came out I was in the Guard and a Colonel made a sergeant paint a few vehicles for a parade, with a brush, because he said that since you were not spraying it was OK, and in an open area, so there were no fumes build up, and he got lung cancer and other 2 got realy sick.

Well, enough off topic here, I will start another thread saturday