Mpa Taking Action

i-j-c

You know, it wasn't too long ago that Garth Brooks was whining about not getting royalties on the resale of his CDs. Like, used merchandise. Like, stuff he'd already been paid on once.

They'll try anything if they think they can get away with it.

Yep, I remember that. It's a silly argument to take unless you view purchasing the physical disc as nothing more than a license to access the actual content. That is exactly the way software is licensed, and it looks like music and movie studios are looking to take the same approach with their products.

And speaking of Garth and his hatred of used CDs, I just picked up a used copy of No Fences for $1 at Half Price Books. :D

GBT

This is ridiculous, especially the suing a guitar store. Whats next? What if Campbells had sued Andy Warhol over his painting (I hope they didnt because then i would have made a moot point :D ) They think we should just give them every dollar we earn to enjoy what we do for recreational purposes, maybe if they didn't charge so much for everything in the first place they wouldn't be in the situation that they are but thats life and if we had to deal with being gouged on prices when we actually did buy things than they can deal with the consequences of us not buying.

An open letter to the MPA:

F**K OFF!

And speaking of Garth and his hatred of used CDs, I just picked up a used copy of No Fences for $1 at Half Price Books. 

Hey, can you burn me a copy of that?*

*Disclaimer: Project Guitar, its management, affiliates, members, relatives, pets, and many inanimate objects in no way condone the illegal sharing of copyrighted material.

Usually I am one of the last people to say that "they are just greedy SOBs" when some one sues someone but honestly....

well, look at it this way, you still have the powertab software, and you can still get powertabs, you just have to request which ones you want, and then have some one email you the file (providing they have it)

I got a few pantera,ozzy,metallica,slayer,extreme, and a few other odds and ends if anyone is interested

Curtis

About 10 years ago, OLGA had a huge fight about their online tabs. The site was shut down and a bunch of mirror sites popped up overnight to make the tabs available. I've seen these things come and go. For every tab site that's shut down, another shows up to fill in the gap.

Not too far off from that are all of the Napster clones out there. Napster shuts down and makes way for Kazza. Kazza shuts down and makes way for something else.

Perhaps iTunes will have an iTab site in the future and we can download tabs for 99 cents. IMHO, if I download a tab for a buck, it would be worth it because, for that price, it's probably professionally done and would be mostly correct.

How can we let them do this???? I tell you what.... I will no longer support any of those companys and organizations. They can go F*** themselfs.

YOU HEAR ME!! GO F*** YOURSELF MPA!

COM"ON... I take your bullets.

Wow, what a world. I remember the OLGA thing, I wasn't playing at the time but my brother was and he told me about it. I can see the industry getting upset about scans but most of the tabs out there are a joke, poorly done in notepad and often wrong. Quite clearly the interpretation of the person who wrote it out. I do have a ton of Guitar Pro tabs though, while some of them are wrong or at least sound wrong most of those are pretty well done. Still though, I don't see why they might be illegal, they are still someone's interpretation. Whatever, I wouldn't buy tabs anyway, I'd pick up a magazine from time to time (as I do now) but otherwise go back to figuring stuff out by ear. Let them do what they want, they won't get any extra money from me. Same with movies and music, I stopped buying new cd's and going to theatres (I rent or buy the dvd) years before I started downloading, I won't go back.

When photocopiers became widely available, they complained. When VCRs became affordable, they whined. When DAT were the rage, they trembled with fear. When Napster came along, they stamped their little feet. Now they're kicking and screaming about tab and lyric sites.

This will go on for a little while, then something will happen to shift attention from it and it'll fade away.

good analogy a, kid throwing a tantrum.

The world is changing and people wanna be paid for every thing they do, look back to the slip'n fall cases of the mid 90's, and the ubundance of "personal injury lawyers" 10 years prior to that if u sliped in the shopping center u pick urself up with the little dignity that you have left and carry on with your bussiness. i can understand the music folks gettin a little cranky with kazaa/napster, but surely not shutting down educational sites (u r learning the song remember, which makes it education, yes?).

to quote animal farm, "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others"

2 c

luke

:D:D

Edited by where's the beef???

and dont forget the poor bastards who live in silly little backwater countries like New Zealand, the only tab books i see here are for bach n stuff like that :S. And besides, most tab books are 3rd party anyway, and the artist only get meger royalties.

The way I see it, its just like a prostitute sueing some dirty slapper in a bar cause shes willing to give it for free. If some dude in kasblackistan wants to write a tab for a song based on his interpretation of the song and make it freely available ot all on the net, then good for him. I cant see why this is wrong and illegal, and why the tab book writers should get upset just cause they picked a dumb career.

Im gonna miss powertab if it does go.

• 2 weeks later...

Where does it ever stop? The music industry has gone to sh*t. If someone learned something from a score they paid for, and played it, and were fined for playing it, would that not void the whole purpose for buying that particular score? To learn how to PLAY it?

In my opinion, they WILL lose, they've dug themselves into a hole they can't get out of, and that light at the top of the hole is going to start getting mighty small. If you played a chord, would you have to play royalties to whomever performed that first chord? if you played a scale, would you have to pay royalties to it's inventor? If they aren't stopped, all of that will become common place. It's bullsh*t like this that makes me want to just douse my guitar in gasoline, set it a blaze and throw it through some MPA member's front window. Greedy bastards.

Edited by Lord-of-the-strings