My First Custom Cab

Here's my first custom cab, 2 x 12. Speaker's are Eminence Beta12LTA's, 225Wrms each, sounds very nice to the whole band. On it I have a custom made (not by me) head, 50W, and some of the guitars I've made and kept around. L-R: Red Special copy, a sort of a PRS made for my brother a few years back, and a recent hybrid LP made to look faded.

When I set the stuff together for taking the pic, I had a grin I couldn't take off of my face for the rest of the day...B)

BTW, on the rehearsal last saturday, we're playing It's All Over Now, and I'm using this amp for the first time, sound's great, we're really cookin', and close to ending, when we did that last abrupt stop, the whole neibourghood loses power completely, the same second :D:DB) We're really a smokin' band :D

How do you like it? (not the story, the cab)

Thanks guys!

No formula there, it's an open back cab, so no math is needed. The size is just right, I left ~4cm on the either side of the speakers L-R-wise measuring to the openings. ~3cm in between.

2 x 12'=approx 61cm. The general measurements were taken from an existing cab.

http://www.spimagehost.com/pic.php?u=226d5FMj&i=11500

i build my own cab, too. it has the large mesa boogie dimensions, and it has two vertical chambers. there are celestion g12-80 speakers installed. i dont have the chrome corners and handle yet, but the holes for the handles are routed. i'm really satisfied with the sound. aah, one chamber ist 1/4 open. can run it mono and stereo. here's a picture.

4db3cdb6.jpg

wow, theres a lot of dust in the pic. gotta clean up.

Huh, I was just curious about the dimensions because it seems huge compared to the 2x12 cab I built(or modified, rather), but obviously yours can't really be that much bigger if you only left a few cm on either side. I'm thinking you'll want to add some casters to that sucker to make your life easier. I got these monsterous 3.5" casters for mine; it's an off road amp cab now(it originally had the casters shown in the pic, but they died on me).

I only have a picture of that back of mine uploaded to my pc, but for what it's worth, here you go:

amp2.jpg

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Helge, that's a very nice cab! Mono / stereo sounds very nice, I can imagine a few interesting uses right away! What kinda cloth did you use for the front? Or is it a net?

Jer, I'll take some pics later today, but for now, it's handbuilt by a guy called Andrey Ostap. 3 channels, clean, very fenderish to me, overdrive, goes from clean to crunch nicely, and a little switch called high gain which I rarely use, which results in REALLY high gain. I'm still getting to know it, cause I've switched to it recently, but I like it a lot so far.

Russ, nice cab, how about a front pic? What's the thickness of the material that you used? I think mine looks big because of the completely black panel, it kinda stares at you. I was thinking about adding a simple white line around the baffle board, it could make it seem a bit more finished and take some of the effect of the black off, but not for now...

I might add some wheels to it, but it's not that heavy, I used 12mm plywood and the braces are pine.

Technically, I didn't build mine from scratch. It used to be a Randall RG300; they were 300 watt(output) solid state amps produced in 1976(I believe that's the year). Anyhow, the power amp went bad on it, but I loved the speakers(electrovoice 12"s). So I removed the reverb tank and power amp, chopped the top portion off, screwed/glued a piece of 3/4" birch plywood to the top, then carpeted the entire thing. It's 3/4" plywood on top and the original 3/4" partical board everywhere else(hence the weight, I suppose). I'll get a front pic when I get a chance; I don't have the cab with me at the moment. The front looks pretty nice though.

peace,

russ

Our sound man for the band builds his own speaker cabinets and I'm not sure where he gets all his material from, but it has always interested me how much detail goes into such a project. He currently likes Madison Speakers because they are cheaper in price but are very great quality and an on the rise company.

You guys all have made some nice cabinets. Very nice work

I'm thinking I should be building one too... It would be quite useful for shows to have a 212 cab but I think a 212 costs way too much compared to a 412...

Just a question... Could I use a premade cabinet from some place I know that's for subwoofers? Some car stereo boxes. They should have it in 212 and I think it would be easy to modify to get something good enough... (i'd get a/make it open back though...)