Balsa Wood Used In Guitars?

Okay, this came up on a violin making forum about some guy who made these hidious looking violins out of balsa wood as an experitment. It got discussed and someone mentioned how Gibson used Balsa as a core material in on of there electric guitars, and the guy says how Balsa is a great tonewood for electrics....... :D I just posted that it ISN'T a great tonewood for ANY instrument, and that I've never heard of it being used....or am I wrong???

Yeah, balsa is pretty strong wood for as light as it is. It's used in all sorts of things--real airplanes, floorpanels in the Corvette Z06, and scale mockups of all sorts of products.

There's probably worse wood you can build an instrument with. Like "alder/mahogany" plywood.

i wonder how many people know that balsa is actually a hardwood (no relevance to the post, just stating facts)

i knew that :D , the classification of woods has very little to do with their hardness but rather their growth patterns, and growth time, ie. softwoods are entirely useable, whereas hardwoods have sapwood and heartwood, which is not entirely useable.

a friend of mine is building a 30 foot catamaran (sp??) outta balsa, he glued three layers of the stuff together for the hulls, apparently is used quite alot in the wooden cat industry.

i wonder how many people know that balsa is actually a hardwood (no relevance to the post, just stating facts)

Yup, it's a 'soft hardwood' :D. Softwoods are Pine, Fir, Spruce, etc - the ones that don't actually have leaves, but needles or scaley looking 'leaves' and produce cones.

Hardwoods have leaves, which they loose in winter, and produce nuts, fruits, or seeds of some kind.

....I think..... :D

I don't understand why people dismiss balsa out of hand. I mean, OK, it's very light and very soft. Some people dismiss basswood for the same reasons, though balsa goes even further in those respects. But since many of the most prized woods are fairly light, and many prized pieces are among the lightest cuts (I'm thinking light swamp ash strats & teles here), why the comments about "wood & air"? I'd rather have the "wood & air" light ash tele than the solid maple one.

Anyway, why CAN'T balsa be used as a core, or other use in which its weight is an advantage and its weakness and porosity are non-issues? What do the studio light Pauls sound like?

And what is wrong with the "wood and air" comment ?

Did that comment go on to say that it would be a bad thing ?

No, I guess it didn't! It just came off that way to me, because it sounded like it implied even the lightest ash, basswood, whatever is still "wood" whereas balsa isn't, and usually "different from the accepted" = "bad" in guitar wood.

http://www.piedrablanca.org/Images/balsa-trees-b.JPG

I've read they grow quite fast, don't live very long, and rot real quick after they die.